Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Graham, here's one for you, Calvert Lane October 1958.

attachicon.gifCALVERT LANE 8 Oct 1958.jpg

The garage with the sub-station alongside and a mineral train behind. That's a scene that could almost all, be re-created in 4mm using generally obtainable parts that are available as ready to run or off the shelf.

Brilliant.

P

post-508-0-26480500-1450965451.png

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Hello Graham. Welcome to this thread, and do post more of your excellent photo's. I have really enjoyed looking at those which you have posted, for photo's of Diarycoates seem hard to get.

The coaches seem to be twin-art sets if the size of the compartments is anything to go by. Also they are longer than the coaches in quad-art sets (of which a number, latterly, worked to and from Brough).

With best regards,

Rob.

Ta Mick,

Just had a look on Google Streets. Pity they've dumped the Stucco Art Deco garage frontage. Unusually a few of the cars on today's forecourt are still made in the UK (but with the profits going elsewhere) whereas in the 1958 view, only the transporter and the scooter would have been imported.

P

post-508-0-70202900-1450973370.png

Edited by Porcy Mane

Graham, your photo's are fantastic, please send more.

Yes please to more photos Graham, there superb.

Hello Graham. Welcome to this thread, and do post more of your excellent photo's. I have really enjoyed looking at those which you have posted, for photo's of Diarycoates seem hard to get.

Steady on chaps, don't get carried away!

You don't have to be nice, you know, but be gentle  .  .  .  .

I think some of the photos are quite interesting for various reasons, perhaps even atmospheric, but I think they'd struggle to get as far even as "good" on the quality scale!

They're scanned from the original negatives & have been tweaked a little with regard to brightness & contrast in an attempt to make them acceptable.  I haven't done anything else to them - no fancy photoshop stuff here.  I think what makes them interesting is that they show the nitty gritty reality of the early/mid-60s as seen by a teenager of the time.

Some of the negatives were so bad that they never got printed so I'm seeing the pictures now for the first time as I scan them in.  In others, it's only now that I'm realising what some of them show - like the articulated coaches on the scrap lines.

My real interest back then was the locos themselves, particularly the fast-disappearing steam ones, rather than the wider picture of rolling stock, infrastructure etc. but I wasn't so blinkered as to record steam alone & ignore everything else.  I do have photos of some of the early diesels (as you've already seen) which seems to be quite unusual.

I'll see what else I can dig out but here are a couple more to be going on with.  Taken on the same mucky murky visit as the previous ones.

(These are to hand as I've been using them as part of a talk I gave recently to a local railway group.)

First shows a couple of Dairycoates' allocation of EE type 3s alongside the straight shed (was this the building with the high-level wheel drop or am I getting confused?)

post-11812-0-69072100-1450994350_thumb.jpg

Followed by one of the Ivatt 2-6-0s.  Photo isn't clear enough to decipher the number but the last digit is 9 so could possibly be 43069.

post-11812-0-17542000-1450994365_thumb.jpg

More to follow after Santa's made his call.

Meanwhile, best wishes & thanks for your kind comments.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone, and a very Merry Christmas to you all.

Tonight, I am having a look back at Bridlington from 11th October, 2015. The first photo' shows the railway looking south from bridge 17, which carries the A165 over the railway to Bessingby, and then the second photo' shows a view of the former crossing keeper's cottages.

post-22631-0-49371400-1451000894_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-58820900-1451000913_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 9

Yes, it was next to the now removed bridge, here's a 1966 picture, and looking towards Springbank West.

attachicon.gifCALVERT LANE 1966.jpg

My memory has both bridges in place.  Sounds as if there aren't any now.  Fairly sure there was still the one there last time I looked on google earth.

The garage must be just off that picture, to the right.

Interesting photo - isn't that a Dinky Toys crane in front of the hoarding?

And what about the poster for Birds Eye Cod Steaks?  That's a bit like coals to Newcastle!

There were actually three bridges over Calvert Lane, two were so close together they could be taken has one, these were closest to the garage. The third was about 150yards north and carried the H&BRly Main Line. The attached September 1965 picture is looking south towards Anlaby Road.

post-702-0-56474300-1451002933_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that photo' Mick. It captures the bridge perfectly, and that advert about 'The Good Old Days' - I wonder if that is a reference to the tv series? If so it might give some indication as to, roughly, when the photo' was taken.

Merry Christmas,

Rob.

Steady on chaps, don't get carried away!

You don't have to be nice, you know, but be gentle  .  .  .  .

I think some of the photos are quite interesting for various reasons, perhaps even atmospheric, but I think they'd struggle to get as far even as "good" on the quality scale!

They're scanned from the original negatives & have been tweaked a little with regard to brightness & contrast in an attempt to make them acceptable.  I haven't done anything else to them - no fancy photoshop stuff here.  I think what makes them interesting is that they show the nitty gritty reality of the early/mid-60s as seen by a teenager of the time.

Some of the negatives were so bad that they never got printed so I'm seeing the pictures now for the first time as I scan them in.  In others, it's only now that I'm realising what some of them show - like the articulated coaches on the scrap lines.

My real interest back then was the locos themselves, particularly the fast-disappearing steam ones, rather than the wider picture of rolling stock, infrastructure etc. but I wasn't so blinkered as to record steam alone & ignore everything else.  I do have photos of some of the early diesels (as you've already seen) which seems to be quite unusual.

I'll see what else I can dig out but here are a couple more to be going on with.  Taken on the same mucky murky visit as the previous ones.

(These are to hand as I've been using them as part of a talk I gave recently to a local railway group.)

First shows a couple of Dairycoates' allocation of EE type 3s alongside the straight shed (was this the building with the high-level wheel drop or am I getting confused?)

attachicon.gifimg008a.jpg

Followed by one of the Ivatt 2-6-0s.  Photo isn't clear enough to decipher the number but the last digit is 9 so could possibly be 43069.

attachicon.gifimg016a 3MB 43###.jpg

More to follow after Santa's made his call.

Meanwhile, best wishes & thanks for your kind comments.

The Type 3s are stood outside the straight shed as you say, this comprised two through roads, then a short roar at the west end and then the two road wheel drop at the west end. The bulk of the remaining part of the shed was the heavy repair section, machine shop etc. On the southern side of the shed was a short lean to inspection shed.

Al Tayor

Al Taylor

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. One photo' tonight of York station, taken on 17th July, 2014. It shows the Scarborough Spa Express being hauled by Class 47, 47746, arriving at platform 5. It was the evening service from Scarborough.

post-22631-0-20487000-1451168612_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 4

The Type 3s are stood outside the straight shed as you say, this comprised two through roads, then a short roar at the west end and then the two road wheel drop at the west end. The bulk of the remaining part of the shed was the heavy repair section, machine shop etc. On the southern side of the shed was a short lean to inspection shed.

Thanks, Al.  I almost got it right - trouble is, it's a long time ago & memories do strange things.  Well, mine do!

That wheel drop was interesting enough for me to use up a valuable bit of film recording it on a later visit - 31st October 1966 - even though I didn't have enough field of view to get the whole loco into shot.

post-11812-0-20388800-1451250783_thumb.jpg

Two days earlier I found a couple of foreigners bracing themselves for the inevitable in Albert Draper's yard.  44311 & 42121

post-11812-0-21651100-1451250798_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-34630600-1451250813_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick and Graham. Excellent photo's, and very valuable contributions to the thread. Please keep them coming. I have not seen, as far as I can recall, photo's of the wheeldrop at Dairycoates before, so I have spent quite some time having a good look at those photo's.

Tonight a photo' from Scarborough, not too far from where the last remaining signal bridge was. It shows a three doll bracket signal which protected the mainline from trains in the carriage sidings on the up side. It was taken just before removal in October, 2010. Some work was taking place in the foreground, and the photo' was taken from a train.

post-22631-0-02771900-1451256390.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 5