OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

A friend of mine has laser cut replacement sides for the Hornby class 71 to convert it to a 74. I think he will use etched brass or thin laser etched plastic for the roof panels. I can't comment too much at the moment but I am rather hoping he will supply some for my Genesis kits monstrosity. I do have a DC kits class 74 kit but within Black Beetles being high on unavailable, I have put it aside.

A friend of mine has laser cut replacement sides for the Hornby class 71 to convert it to a 74. I think he will use etched brass or thin laser etched plastic for the roof panels. I can't comment too much at the moment but I am rather hoping he will supply some for my Genesis kits monstrosity. I do have a DC kits class 74 kit but within Black Beetles being high on unavailable, I have put it aside.

Now that I am interested in!

Please keep us informed :)

Luke

Another option for the DC kits 74 is to put the body over a Heljan Class 26/27/33 chassis. The bogies' wheelbases are about right (15mm disc wheels may be a bit underscale) but the bogie mountings need re-drilling in-board on the metal chassis and the drive shafts need reducing and sleeving. Bogie sides can be attached to push fit with plastic tubeing.

post-910-0-42351900-1526721671.jpg

Chassis' can be picked up cheap or buy a new loco for £60 and sell all the bits you don't need on ebay

Agreed - have removed mine from the "to go on Ebay box" to do just this (might use a Hornby chassis instead though)

It'll still look like a Class 74 from 2ft away ........................... and I get to do some modelling too - now where did I put that "02" headcode ?

Now anyone want a Black Beetle motor ................. great price ?

I do have a DC kits class 74 kit but within Black Beetles being high on unavailable, I have put it aside.

Seems like you two ought to talk to each other!  ;)

• RMweb Gold

Another option for the DC kits 74 is to put the body over a Heljan Class 26/27/33 chassis. The bogies' wheelbases are about right (15mm disc wheels may be a bit underscale) but the bogie mountings need re-drilling in-board on the metal chassis and the drive shafts need reducing and sleeving. Bogie sides can be attached to push fit with plastic tubeing.

attachicon.gifP1040022.JPG

Chassis' can be picked up cheap or buy a new loco for £60 and sell all the bits you don't need on ebay

Silver Fox body on Heljan 33 chassis, therefore an excellent runner. Bought off Ebay from someone on this forum, I believe

post-18087-0-62452800-1526762989_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim Hall
  • Like 5

I had on order a DJM Class 74, which I ordered it at the same time as a Class 71. The latter arrived in time for my layout "Meopham East Junction's" last appearance before I sold it. I liked that 71 so much that I did not sell it with the layout , exchanging it for a DC kits example (sorry Charles).

When the cancellation order came out, I rang Kernows, and they sent my money back into my bank account with no delay. I am ever hopeful that Dave will be able to have this loco type built elsewhere and if he does, I will have one! 

Back in the days between 1998 and 2005, I was a member of a team which build, for the Hull MRS, a EM layout called "Chessington (Chalk Lane) and on that layout we had a MTK Class 74 example. Not wishing to speak ill of the dead, I shall only say, it went when the layout was sold. Here is the only photograph I have of said loco.

post-276-0-14431200-1526820904.jpg

• Like 4

Pretty off topic really, but many years ago I started to make a class 71 from, of all things, a Hornby Western.

52s of course have the same mk1 body side profile.

I ended up selling it on amongst other stuff, but it was surprising how decent it was starting to look, given the loco I started with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds brilliant, we wait and hope.

The Hornby 71 is one of the best models I've ever owned, and given the shape is correct should make a an excellent and consistent base for a 74. Could anyone enlighten us as to what differences there were in the bogies of the two types?

John.

After making the post above, I was having a browse on eBay, and noticed that "skmodeller" had one of his class 74 kits on auction. He is the proprietor of Silver Fox models, whose resin body I think was included in the D.C. Kits offering - please correct me if I'm wrong.

John.

After making the post above, I was having a browse on eBay, and noticed that "skmodeller" had one of his class 74 kits on auction. He is the proprietor of Silver Fox models, whose resin body I think was included in the D.C. Kits offering - please correct me if I'm wrong.

John.

I think that was the case, yes.

Sounds brilliant, we wait and hope.

The Hornby 71 is one of the best models I've ever owned, and given the shape is correct should make a an excellent and consistent base for a 74. Could anyone enlighten us as to what differences there were in the bogies of the two types?

John.

The book Southern Way Special No 14 has full details of the alterations made.

A laser cut/etched plasticard side infill which has been kicking around at the club for a few weeks now and looking a little worse for wear. I think Matt is looking at laser cutting side infills to replace the area between the cabs on a Hornby class 71 and using etched brass roof panels. I was speaking to him about it last Thursday and said there wound definitely be interest in a conversion kit. Apparently he's done the replacement bogie frames as well.

post-6737-0-29486000-1528807725_thumb.jpg

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 6

A laser cut/etched plasticard side infill which has been kicking around at the club for a few weeks now and looking a little worse for wear. I think Matt is looking at laser cutting side infills to replace the area between the cabs on a Hornby class 71 and using etched brass roof panels. I was speaking to him about it last Thursday and said there wound definitely be interest in a conversion kit. Apparently he's done the replacement bogie frames as well.

attachicon.gif74 side.jpg

Saw a pic of this from Matt a few months ago, it’s rather tidy, better than my Hornby/MTK/plasticard hybrid. New bogies would be useful and save some work.

Cheers

Shane

Kernow had a few DJM Class 71's (green weathered) for £69.99 special offer at the GCR show today, so I grabbed one as doner loco for a class 74 conversion (used some of my Kernow account credit from the cancelled class 74 orders).

I've also ordered Simon and John's book.

So if anyone is doing conversion parts (such as bogie sides) I would definitely be interested. 

Book arrived today, "Southern Way Class 71/74 Locomotives".

Lots of excellent Pics and details of the conversion.  I bought it mainly as reference for my attempt at converting the DJM Class 71 to a CLass 74,  but the detailed text of the history and development is also a fascinating read - excellent book.

And to answer John's questions, the bogie revisions were mainly revised springing because the 74 was heavier, and retractable pickup shoe gear for use when on diesel, it was fixed on the 71.  The arrangement of the pickup gear looks quite different. There are photo's in the book.

Edited by PeteB

• RMweb Premium

Silver Fox body on Heljan 33 chassis, therefore an excellent runner. Bought off Ebay from someone on this forum, I believe

attachicon.gifIMG_2789.JPG

I do believe that was mine!  It was in need of a little TLC when I moved it on IIRC but the chassis was still very good.  Nice to see it running again.

• RMweb Gold

I do believe that was mine!  It was in need of a little TLC when I moved it on IIRC but the chassis was still very good.  Nice to see it running again.

That's the one! It's had a lot of use on my 4TC. I think that all I've done is fit a driver at each end, and reposition the bogie side frames a tad.

Edited by Tim Hall

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gif74 side.jpg

Any progress on this? I find myself becoming particularly eager!

Rails have the NRM 71 on special offer so I now have a donor :)

Luke

Any progress on this? I find myself becoming particularly eager!

Rails have the NRM 71 on special offer so I now have a donor :)

Luke

Matt will likely sell body sides and etched roof panels but he cannot supply replacement bogie frames. There is a lot of difference in the bogies apparently. Edited by Baby Deltic

Matt will likely sell body sides and etched roof panels but he cannot supply replacement bogie frames. There is a lot of difference in the bogies apparently.

Thanks for the reply.

Sides and roof would be great. I'll have a look into bogie sides when the rest is sorted :)

Luke

DC Kits Here!!

If anyone is interested in the Class 74 Bodyshell we used to do to fit onto a Class 71 chassis, please let me know on 'charlie@dckits-devideos.co.uk'

We have to get a run of 30 minimum done, so we will need 30 orders PLEASE.

I am just asking incase there is enough interest.    Charlie

• Like 2

DC Kits Here!!

If anyone is interested in the Class 74 Bodyshell we used to do to fit onto a Class 71 chassis, please let me know on 'charlie@dckits-devideos.co.uk'

Fellow Yorkshireman alert........

"How Much"?

DC Kits Here!!

Are the bogie sides included in that?

Cheers

Shane

• Like 1