The Taddington branch of the LNWR

• RMweb Gold

Thanks run as required.

At the moment only one of the coaches is primed, the others still need the vacuum brakes, misc details and interiors adding.

I'll work my way through them in turn.

I'm equally excited and nervous about using the airbrush, excited about trying something new, nervous about lousing it up!

The Taddingtonians do have the option of hiring chemical foot warmers, rugs and pillows from the obliging station staff along the line, although by 1907 it would cost 6D to hire a rug and pillow. I suspect the hardened Taddintonains may elect not to squander their hard earned cash on such luxury's.

Derbyshire neck was new one me (and my wife who's lived in Derbyshire since she was a toddler). Some option there for attacking a figure or two with some filler!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The rainy weekend put pay to any thoughts of digging out the airbrush.

Instead I focused on the full brake.

Most of the effort went into re-working what I had already done.

When I assembled the kit a couple of years ago (it's been sat on the shelf a while....) the guards lookouts didn't sit right, the tabs didn't match the slots.

I had spent quite some time trying to lengthen the slots, even so the panels on the lookouts didn't align to those on the body.

When I came to start the detail work I decided that I couldn't live with what I'd done, so it was out with the big iron and the look-outs were dis-assembled.

This time I simply trimmed the tabs down (why didn't I do this first time.....) and following a clean up, the lookouts were re-assembled.

One is not perfect as the base sits out slightly from the body and will need so filler, it's a lot better though:-

post-13616-0-03599300-1488740288.jpg

As Penlan has rightly pointed out the guards door had a window, so this was carefully milled out and filed.

According to an article in the LNWR Society Journal there was no drop light, the window was just open to the elements.

This does seem slightly odd but the photographic record of the 21 foot and 6 wheeled 26 foot vans supports this.

I guess the Victorian guards were made of stern stuff, even the goods brakes got an enclosed compartment and a stove.

The other finding from the article was that the Vans were fitted with spoked wheels, not the Mansell ones I'd fitted.

Removing these involved de-soldering the wheel mounts.

I had also just bought some Slaters 3'7" W irons for the meat van body I have in the pile.

These came with the brake parts, as these weren't needed for the meat van they were pressed into use on the full brake.

post-13616-0-93862500-1488740773.jpg

Now the re-working is done, I can get on with the detailing. The effort was worthwhile though.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

All the soldering is now complete on the full brake, just the second set of safety chains and the buffers to fit.

I can then fit out the interior, which should be quick as it is only a floor and one internal partition.

That done I can get the primer on.

post-13616-0-87627600-1489958394.jpg

post-13616-0-92741600-1489958421.jpg

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to show I've not just been spending my time on 2mm scale pipe dreams the Easter break has been spent assembling a couple of white metal, dumb buffered wagon kits.:-

post-13616-0-55884500-1492633854.jpg

For the 1894 time period a lot of the wagon stock would still be dumb buffered.

I picked up these kits on ebay, one recently, the other has been "maturing" for a year or so.

Hopefully these will help to redress the balance.

The full brake now has an interior so will get primed with the wagons.

• Like 8

Just to show I've not just been spending my time on 2mm scale pipe dreams the Easter break has been spent assembling a couple of white metal, dumb buffered wagon kits.:-

attachicon.gifdumb buffered wagons.jpg

For the 1894 time period a lot of the wagon stock would still be dumb buffered.

I picked up these kits on ebay, one recently, the other has been "maturing" for a year or so.

Hopefully these will help to redress the balance.

The full brake now has an interior so will get primed with the wagons.

May I enquire as to the maker of the dumb buffered wagon kits please.

John Bruce.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

The wagon with taller sides was labelled "Home of O Gauge", the shorter one was "connoisseur models".

The castings on the connoisseur kit weren't great, indicating the molds were probably on the way out.

Both were ebay purchase and I don't believe either is still available.

Sorry, that probably doesn't help much.

• Like 1

If I remember Connoisseur produced white metal kits, before Jim's ownership, these went to Oldbury, the Home of O gauge and then in to the ABS black hole. I'm working on some dead buffered wagons for my own layout, at the moment, I was going to get them printed but if people want them I will produce them as a kit.

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If I remember Connoisseur produced white metal kits, before Jim's ownership, these went to Oldbury, the Home of O gauge and then in to the ABS black hole. I'm working on some dead buffered wagons for my own layout, at the moment, I was going to get them printed but if people want them I will produce them as a kit.

Marc

I wouldn't mind a couple please Marc - I rather like dumb buffered wagons and the more the merrier for use on Elsbridge!

The wagons look great Argos.

• RMweb Gold

That's great news Marc,

Two hits with one stone, I need some lime wagons, and more dumb buffered wagons.

Are you psychic?

Any idea what I should be doing next...... :jester:

• Like 1

If I remember Connoisseur produced white metal kits, before Jim's ownership, these went to Oldbury, the Home of O gauge and then in to the ABS black hole. I'm working on some dead buffered wagons for my own layout, at the moment, I was going to get them printed but if people want them I will produce them as a kit.

Marc

I'd be interested in one of each as well please Marc. Please don't move too quickly though I'm part way through a potential house move!

John

Hi John,

The wagon with taller sides was labelled "Home of O Gauge", the shorter one was "connoisseur models".

The castings on the connoisseur kit weren't great, indicating the molds were probably on the way out.

Both were ebay purchase and I don't believe either is still available.

Sorry, that probably doesn't help much.

Hi Argos, thanks for the heads up anyway, thing is you never know what's going to turn up on second hand sales stands.

John.

Dumb buffered lime wagon?

Mmmm - makes me think of J Turner of Kiveton Park as per Turton, vol 10, p159. But where does one get black lettering transfers from these days?

But to be positive..
Make your own transfers, or at least some water slide decals.
Being black lettering, this enables you to use clear Decal paper, and if using a laser printer, Micro-Sol etc., can be used too.
They will bed in very nicely.

The trouble for those of us who want white lettering is that the edges of white Decal paper can still have some very minor white showing, let alone matching the colour on the printer with the body paint on the wagon.
Black lettering is an easy option.

The methods have been explained on other threads on this Forum

• RMweb Gold

The methods have been explained on other threads on this Forum

and might appear in the upcoming issue of the Brighton Circle Modellers Digest along side a layout in this section of RMWeb!!!

Not that I would know :whistle:

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, I've used decal paper to produce black and grey lettering further back in this topic.

It is just a shame the white printers cost so much otherwise much more would be possible.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a while since I posted here as my attention has been distracted by the Glencruitten build.

It hasn't all been 2mm stuff though, whilst I had the white metal soldering equipment out over Easter I also tackled another wagon from the kit pile:-

post-13616-0-55103400-1494792765.jpg

It is a Midland Railway D708 Traction Wagon, which should introduce a bit of variety.

The kit was an ABS produced one, and the castings were excellent, the whole thing fitted, and held together, without solder.

This made the build an absolute joy.

Anyway the wagon will be sprayed up shortly as I've a batch of stuff that needs to go through the paint shop.

• Like 3

.......It is a Midland Railway D708 Traction Wagon, which should introduce a bit of variety.

That will be the same as this one, then, which is sitting on the same gauge of track as yours!   :jester:

post-25077-0-04106900-1494793923_thumb.jpg

This is an etched kit, which was also a joy to build.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's nice Jim, is that from the society kit?

I'm contemplating one for a later wagon build, although I might build one of the GWR/RR versions also from shop 2.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

As you may have gathered from the lack of posts, progress on Taddington has stalled somewhat.

This is due to a variety of reasons and there are some decisions to be made before progress resumes.

Reasons for the stall:-

• At present most of my attention is being diverted to the Cameo Layout entry I have underway. I've also committed to my first exhibition in December so need something working by then! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109742-rnas-glencruitten-relocating-lenabo/page-6
  • I am not happy with the layout of the sidings, they are too "forced". Tying into the existing boards and track from Three Shire Heads means the trackwork doesn't flow nicely, as a result it doesn't look right.
  • My wife has expressed a desire to move house (for good reasons I hasten to add) and whilst a move is not imminent it probably will be within the projected build of the whole layout. As the garage is a odd shape it unlikely to usable in it's current form wherever we end up.
  • The winter has not been kind to the layout.The piecemeal nature of the extension boards has lead to some movement between boards. as a result I now have a step in the station trackwork. It is retrievable. All I need to do is remove the track where it bridges the join, sand down the step and relay the track. It is just a question of whether it is worth the investment of time.

post-13616-0-73902600-1497905637.jpg

I am currently contemplating reverting back to the original small layout, albeit reversed as I rather like the view as presented a the moment. This has the advantage of being portable and more likely to see development on the near future.

I'm also missing having something running, which could be achieved in a couple of weekends work if I was to revert.

The layout will remain as Taddington though, just representing the edge of the goods yard and the exchange with the quarry sidings.

There is some pondering to do!

• 1 month later...