The Taddington branch of the LNWR

• RMweb Gold

The final point is in for the station board, so just one more to build on the approach board and Taddington will be complete in terms of trackwork.

post-13616-0-68395900-1475428992.jpg

Just the fishplates to add and cosmetic rail joints to cut and i can get on with painting the trackwork prior to ballesting.

The next ground signal is also installed.

post-13616-0-74092600-1475429177.jpg

This protects the exits form the platform loop.

I hope they stand out a bit more once painted!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Life and lethargy have combined to keep me away from the layout and workbench recently.

Mind you, the garage is getting quite nippy now unless my wife has had her kiln on.

I'm awaiting an oil radiator to be delivered which will hopefully make the space more habitable.

Today's modelling consisted of adding the second rail to the quarry exit track :-

post-13616-0-45012300-1476641692.jpg

I've also been on with painting the track, the rail tops still need the cleaning off to finished.

The initial coat is just dark earth and black mixed in about 2:1 ratio. 

I think this gives a reasonable representation of creosoted sleepers.

I'll dry brush some rust on the rails and chairs and pick out the fishplates in gloss to show they've been freshly greased later.

post-13616-0-15838600-1476642043.jpg

Finally, we're away for a week next weekend so I'm going to smuggle some figures to paint into the bags.

I've ordered a job lot of Humbrol acrylic paints to try, these should be more user friendly in a holiday cottage than enamels.

The figures had been primed in preparation.

post-13616-0-41159900-1476642222.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some light relief while on holiday was in the form of building a Slater's 6plk wagon and painting some figures.

In anticipation of the holiday I invested in a batch of 21 Humbrol Acrylic paint pots to try. Unfortunately these were obviously old stock as some had dried up completely. Some of the others were so thick they couldn't be used without thinning.

Initially I struggled getting any coverage and was about to throw in the towel when I realised I had two types of pot, the ones I had been using were an older batch. Once the newer pots were opened the painting was much more successful!

I still prefer enamels but for painting figures, where the rapid drying time means you don't have paint in 2 min sittings, waiting a day between makes the acrylics much more user friendly.

Anyway some of the results:-

post-13616-0-79766700-1477860311.jpg

post-13616-0-40831800-1477860343.jpg

The wagon is just awaiting a Poppies Woodtech interior and it'll off to the paint shop.

The kit was an old one bought off ebay, I was rather surprised to find pinpoint axles and bearings included, these run very sweetly, shame they are not still supplied like this.

I just need to find a relevant livery now.

post-13616-0-56402500-1477860490.jpg

I will sort the drooping buffer as well.

• Like 8

Ah, the curse of the drooping buffer! So familiar, so inexplicable. Happens to me a lot. And it's flipping annoying.

Another source of interiors - if you are unaware of them - is MMP. Though they produce mostly modern stuff, they provide quite wonderful etched interiors for Slater's Roberts and Gloucester wagons. Underframe details too. Well worth a try. Among other things, the interior kits include quite lovely etched wagon label clips which I quite frequently reallocate to other wagons.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Poggy,

Why is it that you carefully check the item, line up a good angle, take the photo but don't notice the wonky buffers until you post the picture?

Is buffer blindness a recognized medical condition?

I was aware of the MMP interiors, although have never used them, I am tempted but I've always felt the amount of fetteling to get them to fit snugly would be more than for the wooden inserts.

The wooden inserts are also self coloured although do need toning down and weathering.

The extra details are tempting though, especially the metal edge strip, although I'm not sure whether I could add this with enough finesse, the edge strips are barely visible in most photos

My experience with MMP interiors are that they are best fitted to the wagon while it is still in bits. You can fit them to an existing wagon but it's a fiddly business, and my method (if I buy a second hand wagon) is to take the body apart, which can be nerve-racking or easy depending on how well the original builder did his job. I think the Poppy things are a lot easier if you are doing a job on an existing wagon - easier to trim neatly- , but the Gloucester ones do need internal ironwork fitting. I have one 'waiting works' for this very job, as I only figured out the deficiency once everything was firmly glued in place.

The beauty of the MMP etched sides is that they are very thin. My method is to chemically blacken (and then paint) the things while still 'in the flat'. Again, experience has taught me that doing this to a finished wagon is an awkward job at best, and may be accompanied by many curses.

Of late I have moved largely (for POs) to the HMRS resin bodies. These come complete with interior detail, but of course you can't paint them 'in the flat' so it's back to cursing. Everything has its advantages and disadvantages.

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Poggy, 

I might try one next time I have a Slaters P.O build, there are a couple of POWsides on my list but given my current stockpile of kits I can't really justify buying any more!

That said, I have just decreased the pile by one, so perhaps there is room..... ;)

I have also been eyeing up the HMRS resin ones, I have one of their earlier dumb buffered awaiting brakes and a trip to the paintshop which looks nicely detailed.

• Like 1

Without wanting to blow my own trumpet you could try wine of our wagons as they have interior detail as standard no need to fit any extra parts.

Marc

Is the wine in a tanker or in barrels in an open?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the prompt Marc.

I already have one of your wagons with more on the to do list.

I don't recall seeing anything in your catalogue that would suit a PO Wagon in 1894.

I recollect they were all slightly more modern. I probably need to take another look.

We do a a 4plk open with raised ends that would fit in with what you are looking for its got either a Weardale or East Wallbottle Col livery.

We are working on some 4mm wagons as we speak. first of the rank NER P5 hopper and NER R2/3/4 coke hopper, with LYR 7plk, LYR 1plk NER S1 hopper and SECR/LBSCR 7plk to follow .

All have been commissioned.

Marc

• Like 1

We do a a 4plk open with raised ends that would fit in with what you are looking for its got either a Weardale or East Wallbottle Col livery.

We are working on some 4mm wagons as we speak. first of the rank NER P5 hopper and NER R2/3/4 coke hopper, with LYR 7plk, LYR 1plk NER S1 hopper and SECR/LBSCR 7plk to follow .

All have been commissioned.

Marc

Good news.  All of the types mentioned are of potential interest, though, for now, my limited budget is dedicated to my present project, GER and neighbouring lines.

If you want some GER wagons we could do those for you. you would need to buy 10 of each type and then we pick up the cost of developing the kit.

Marc

That sounds like a plan.  If you don't mind, when I've next got an uninterrupted minute, I'll go through your list again and PM you; you could then perhaps confirm the 4mm prices for the selected wagons?

• RMweb Gold

I've been progressing with the cosmetic fishplates this week, not the most joyous task, but having set my self the target of doing two frets (8 rail joints) per night I'm now over half way through.

As a bit of respite I've been attacking the paintwork on the 910 tank:-

post-13616-0-50093800-1478463714.jpg

It looks fairly insipid like this but a hour or so's attention soon had the boiler and tank sides painted in a satin black, the inner cab sheets painted and the relevant bits picked out in brass and steel. 

I would have to disagree with anyone who thinks that the LNWR black livery is a bit austere, even without lining and plates, the burnished tank edgings, handrail and smokebox door lever and red buffer plate  give the engine a striking look:-

post-13616-0-77953800-1478464034.jpg

The buffer plates need a few more coats of red, is there a red on the market that gives good colouration from the off?

Meanwhile the cab is coming along nicely.

I've mislaid the white marker pen I use for the gauge faces so a trip to the stationary shop will be required next weekend.

I also need to tone down and add some "depth" to the timber floor.

post-13616-0-35947700-1478464256.jpg

Next step will be to do the lining, which will be a first for me.

Having looked at the HMRS sheet at Telford, I've decided to go with the Fox transfers. The HMRS sheet looked to be showing its age.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Penlan,

I understood that this was the standard, in Bowen Cooke's time it was certainly a standing instruction,

"hand rails, angle iron round tank tops, hand pillars (that is, vertical handrails on cabs), coupling rods, spindle rods and weigh bars" were to be finished bright (extract from LNWR Liveries).

Whilst I've set the layout back in 1894, photos of 910 at London Road in this period seem to show the tanks edges burnished, a finish that also be seen on some of her sisters.

The preserved coal tank 1054 is similarly finished.

Have I misunderstood something?

Argos, oh, I must read the liveries book again, I just assumed it was the sky reflecting off the varnish.. :O 

Ah, yes, page 72, however, not all locos looked as if the brightwork was bright - that's my excuss.  

Anyway it's your train set, your 'The Manager'  :sungum:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Penlan,

I agree that in this period not all the engines had their tank edges burnished, part seems to be down to the crew.

910, the tank modeled was the first of the batch of 5' 6" tanks built so seems to have been specially treated, although a couple of the other 5' 6" tanks a Buxton seem to be similarly turned out.

The model as finished above still needs to be weathered which should tone down the effect of the silver.

The elevated photo emphasis the effect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If you want some GER wagons we could do those for you. you would need to buy 10 of each type and then we pick up the cost of developing the kit.

Marc

4mm GER wagons would be of interest to me as well. I'll have to find your website and get in touch!