I've been using the RMWeb forums for (really useful) information of late and thought it was about time to open a topic to chat about what we've been up to in building "Braeside" - and to find ways to improve what we've been doing!

The layout is based in the North East of Scotland (where my Dad grew up) and draws on the various bits about Aberdeen and the surrounding area that appeal as model makers.

post-26609-0-79166200-1447176002_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 12

Hi, and welcome to RMWeb.

It looks like you have added some nice details there, and I like the camera angle for the photos,

I will look forward to see more of Braeside,

cheers 

Thanks Kevin - I'm glad I joined RMWeb - I look forward to the chance to chat to fellow modellers as my Dad and I have been quite insular in our model-making!

Looks good mate looking forward to more :)

Cheers, Paul

Thanks Paul - plenty more to follow ;-)

• Like 1

I like my diesels - so we've acquired quite a few 1st generation diesels to go with the steam engines (examples of diesels that would be based in Scotland or certainly would be regular visitors to the north east corner of Scotland.)

Here are a couple of photos of Type 4s on the fueling point (an old Kibri or Faller kit from the 70s!)

post-26609-0-37807300-1447195250_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-68600300-1447195630_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-68392900-1447195710_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Some nice green diesels there mate, right up my street!

Cheers, Paul

... hello to another green era fan! I'm not quite old enough to remember them when they were in service (early 80s was when I started) but I love the colour and the livery variations (two tone green etc.)

We're lucky to have a few diesels to represent that period and a couple more on the way. Here's a pic of another that's made its way onto the layout - she sounds as good as she looks! (excuse the out-of-period snowplough but we have some more modern stuff for running early '80s diesels as well). 

post-26609-0-06154200-1447246400_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

... hello to another green era fan! I'm not quite old enough to remember them when they were in service (early 80s was when I started) but I love the colour and the livery variations (two tone green etc.)

Same here, I don't remember the green loco's just early 80's blue, there's just something about the late 60's with greens, early blue and the odd maroon coach!

Nice snow plough to ;)

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

Same here, I don't remember the green loco's just early 80's blue, there's just something about the late 60's with greens, early blue and the odd maroon coach!

Nice snow plough to ;)

Cheers, Paul

We had to have one - after a visit we made to Aberdeen Ferryhill in 1981 and took this photo round the back of the shed! (Note one of the Haymarket 40s hiding in the background)

post-26609-0-05303300-1447249391_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

.. is it a short list!?

Er no! :(

But I'm not buying anymore stock until I've finished building my track, sound fitted and re-wheeled all my current fleet.

It might take some time ha ha.

Cheers, Paul

• Like 1

Well, before this thread becomes too one-sided, a plea for the steam locos to keep making appearances! Afterall A4s were seen in Aberdeen until 1966...

The little cameos you have shown us so far look great and you've obviously taken some time painting your people - looks like some techniques at work there that them war-gaming folk are better known for using.

Well, before this thread becomes too one-sided, a plea for the steam locos to keep making appearances! Afterall A4s were seen in Aberdeen until 1966...

The little cameos you have shown us so far look great and you've obviously taken some time painting your people - looks like some techniques at work there that them war-gaming folk are better known for using.

.. fair do's! - My Dad would certainly like the balance to be redressed as he's especially fond of the A4s. I have some more photos of steam locos (including A4 "Woodcock"), a 2P / 4F combination, a WD and a rather unlikely(?) visit of a 9F to share ..

post-26609-0-19345700-1447342194_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-45510200-1447342201_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-12741300-1447342382_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-13286000-1447342506_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Regarding the (rather beautiful) A4s - My Dad recalls them in use back in the 60s. I never saw them 'in service' but I can remember witnessing (as a schoolboy) preserved A4 "Union of South Africa" being turned on the Ferryhill turntable long before the shed was finally closed.

post-26609-0-48459700-1447344501_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Aah - that's better!

Somebody ought to have wound No.9 into mid-gear before attempting turning (sensible precaution). Suspect that might be owner John Cameron in the bobble-hat and hand on the buffer

'Dear Dad. For Christmas this year I would like:

an A2

a V2 (or two)'

:jester:

Aah - that's better!

Somebody ought to have wound No.9 into mid-gear before attempting turning (sensible precaution). Suspect that might be owner John Cameron in the bobble-hat and hand on the buffer

'Dear Dad. For Christmas this year I would like:

an A2

a V2 (or two)'

:jester:

I can't speak for Father Christmas but I'll be able to whet your appetite with photos of our other Gresleys after the next 'model-making' weekend down at my Dad's place.

... after a bit of a diesel invasion - we've been running some steam engines again at Braeside. To be fair, the steamers were always being run on the railway but I was sidetracked modelling (and photographing) various green-era diesels!

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 1