A brief update (via the medium of photography!) on my "Project Hornby Class 40" - another attempt to use the old Lima / Hornby moulding to produce a better looking 40 for Braeside.

Part of the plan is to have a cheap 'body swap option' that enables me to operate different types of class 40 by swapping out the body onto the (expensive) Bahmann sound fitted chassis.

It has taken a bit of time but I think the results are pretty good.

The time consuming job of making the glazing is the next bit!

post-26609-0-27526500-1459761640_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-53840600-1459761655_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-40701000-1459761661_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 5

Some nice weathering there mate :)

Cheers

Thanks Paul - I've been experimenting a bit, moving back to using conventional brushes and dilute washes of colour for most of the work, finishing off with some light touches with the airbrush. Cotton wool buds are my new friends, helping smooth the paint into corners!

Edited by brylonscamel

• 2 weeks later...
One of my recent 'pet projects' (Haymarket stalwart 40142) finally gets a run on the layout! I've been trying to get a nice looking 'split headcode' class 40 in BR Blue. This is a Hornby (ex Lima) moulding from their TTS range on a Bachmann chassis. The original body moulding is good apart from the ghastly cab windows which are really clumsy! 

My technique has been to file them out to create much finer bars between the windows and open up the shape of the window. Some handmade 'flush glazing' using styrene sheet and she looks much better! The roof  fan grill has an etched part from the excellent Shawplan 'Extreme Etchings'  - the same people that supplied the rest of the flush glazing. I also used their etches for the head-code panel covers.

The body is easily removed so I can switch locos by swapping bodies, second-hand Hornby bodies being fairly easy to come by.

The sound project is from 'Legomanbiffo' - the best diesel recordings in my humble opinion!

post-26609-0-79734100-1461577890_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

.. it's really lovely to get these locomotives out on the layout, moving stock and basically being enjoyed after they've been on the desk and cutting matt for a while. The pleasure of the hobby is in playing with trains after all.

post-26609-0-54852400-1462271799_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-99046000-1462271923_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-72545500-1462271997_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

.. it's really lovely to get these locomotives out on the layout, moving stock and basically being enjoyed after they've been on the desk and cutting matt for a while. The pleasure of the hobby is in playing with trains after all.

Indeed it is.  Looking at the pic of your Brush Type 4 - have the radiator grilles been replaced with the original 3-part type?

Alasdair

Indeed it is.  Looking at the pic of your Brush Type 4 - have the radiator grilles been replaced with the original 3-part type?

Alasdair

I can't lay claim to the modification - its a feature of the Bachmann body moulding that it has the different grille arrangement. I have a class 47 'generator' (47408 - "Finsbury Park") also from Bachmann in BR Blue which has the later grille arrangement 

post-26609-0-14346700-1462276233_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul - and I'm still working on the green class 24 we talked about. It had a test run but it's returned home for renumbering / weathering / headcode discs etc!

I still need to build up the courage to add the syp to my 24, but keep putting it off :(

Cheers

• Like 1

I still need to build up the courage to add the syp to my 24, but keep putting it off :(

Cheers

SYP - 'Small Yellow Panel"? .. I'm sure everyone has their own tricks  .. here's mine:

• I think the main thing is to use a good quality fine line tape for the border, then continue with a normal width low tack masking tape (a good one from a decorator's supplier is OK) for the rest of the body - that way you get a crisp edge that isn't likely to bleed
  • Check the seal between the fine tape and the rest of the masking tape
  • Use a white (or very light grey) modelling undercoat spray (automotive aerosol paints are also fine) for the first coat or two. The reason for this is that yellow isn't very opaque and benefits from being applied over a light background
  • As drying times for most undercoat sprays (cellulose paints) are very quick, you can progress soon after to applying your yellow with an airbrush
  • Apply the coats of yellow with a fairly dilute mist of yellow. Wait until it's touch dry - apply another light coat

Bingo!

•  

Cheers

.. oh yeah, one other 'dirty trick' - model your loco on one that hasn't got 'rounded edges' on the yellow warning panel - this makes your life a bit easier (assuming you're keen to be as prototypical as possible!)

Here's one example I found ... D5100 at York on Flickr

• 1 month later...

Our weathered and fettled class 24 finally gets an outing on the layout. A full rake of Insulfish vans and off she clatters and just like real wee Sulzers she didn't break any speed records but sounds just lovely.

Here's what we did to her:

• Weathered (combination of brush applied washes of a black/reddish grime and airbrushed lighter sandy grime and glossy oil stains)
  • Yellow warning panel added to an originally all green body
  • Renumbered D5015
  • Handmade brass wire couplings front and rear
  • Etched brass indicator discs
  • Factory supplied buffer-beam detailing and white-metal steam heating pipe moulding
  • Legomanbiffo sound project added to an ESU v4 chip - connected to an 8 ohm Bass Reflex speaker

post-26609-0-82169500-1466612236_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

.... another 'fiddling with old diesels project' is underway - this time another old Hornby Class 29. It looks like a number of the fleet went to the scrapyard still sporting headcode discs as opposed to the 'number blinds' of the reconditioned locos.

This model is un-powered - only being used to 'double head' with another class 29 - this seems prototypical as the class were reported to be very unreliable!

post-26609-0-14343400-1469114830_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel

• 3 months later...

With the Bachmann models being at the higher end of the price range, I'd like to make a case for the old Lima moulding (now in the Hornby range) as a starting point for some extra detailing. The models can be picked up relatively cheaply and have some great potential (if you enjoy a bit of fettling!). I've included some photos of work-in-progress on one of the bodies, to make her look like a specific Scottish Region loco (40063)

post-26609-0-39092600-1477480985_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Just read this from the beginning.  Fantastic layout mate.

That's very kind of you - I'm not sure I've read it from the beginning!! - I hadn't updated this thread for a while so it's good to know people are enjoying the photos and accompanying waffle.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see some more of Scotland in 4mm! 

It's a very well built layout, and I really like the small details and cameo's that you have put in!

All the best,

Peter

Thanks for taking the time to comment on the layout - the cameos have definitely proved popular! I spoke to the modeller responsible for an amazing exhibition layout ("Worlds End") and he bases his groups of figures on photography of real scenes, assembling people in poses that match the original image. You could really see the care he'd taken over it. Marvellous stuff.

• Like 1