• 2 weeks later...

They are very good crew figures!  Looking back at pics of footplate crew they capture the atmosphere very well!

Thanks for the comment - these figures are scanned from real life and then 3D printed so they are remarkably 'natural' in their poses - they are a delight to paint as well. I looked at photos of footplate crew from 'back in the day' for colours and these seem about right ....

post-26609-0-85887100-1512637084_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel

• 1 month later...

Another Caledonian
I thought it was time I got going with another little project I really fancied - another Caledonian signal box.

I've fallen in love with these structures and wanted one for a micro layout to use as a setting when photographing stock and locos.

Here are some photos of progress-to-date.
The model is based on the one at Camperdown Junction, Dundee - this was a box that was extended at some point to accommodate a huge lever frame - with 95 levers.

I've taken dimensions from the original as inspiration and tried to be faithful to a style of box that can bee seen at other places like Stirling.

Drawings were based on brick counting and I've tried to show how I made the little brackets that support the projection of the operating floor.

post-26609-0-80772800-1516283529_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-29199700-1516283543_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-61875400-1516283550_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-09243600-1516283566_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-87856200-1516283573_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A nice layout, it certainly looks different in Aberdeen today

I agree - the railway scene is completely different - I can only remember what it was like as far back as the early 1980s but what I have seen of the steam era it was even more extensive, with all the old GNoSR routes intact and places like Kittybrewster, which were enormous and so busy with freight traffic

• 1 month later...

I haven't been busy with Braeside (although there is much to be done!) as I've been sidetracked with a couple of other, smaller projects and I stuck a Stanley blade into my thumb.

But here is a little DCC programming track / photo track that I made from a baseboard off-cut, a DAS stone wall and a bag of static grass.

post-26609-0-78948700-1522917049_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

This is a slightly neglected thread - not that we haven't been doing things to Braeside but my pet project (Caledonia Basin) has been my main focus.

So anyway, here's a video clip of my father's latest purchase - Hornby's North British J36 in 'box-fresh' condition at the head of a small mixed-freight as she saunters through the station at Braeside:

• Like 1