• 3 weeks later...

Some great photos love the attention to detail on the cameos!

Cheers

Thanks Paul for the comments  - I've been having fun playing with these scenes - it's definitely one of the pleasures of the hobby!  PS I've been following your progress and am very taken with the level of realism you've achieved.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul for the comments  - I've been having fun playing with these scenes - it's definitely one of the pleasures of the hobby!  PS I've been following your progress and am very taken with the level of realism you've achieved.

Thanks very much, it's the small details that make things come to life, like yourself they're the kinds of things I love doing :)

Cheers

Thanks very much, it's the small details that make things come to life, like yourself they're the kinds of things I love doing :)

Cheers

We've "taking inspiration" from a corner of NE Scotland - like the fish market scene on this postcard of Aberdeen. Have you picked a specific location?

post-26609-0-66300900-1456143030_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel

We've "taking inspiration" from a corner of NE Scotland - like the fish market scene on this postcard of Aberdeen. Have you picked a specific location?

Cheers

...  I just answered my own question by looking at your early posts in 'Edge Lane Junction' !

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

...  I just answered my own question by looking at your early posts in 'Edge Lane Junction' !

Only took me about two years staring at the same photos for the penny to drop though!! :O

Nice Brush type 4 you have there :)

Cheers

• Like 1

.. more dirty diesels emerge from the paint shop. I must do something about the glazing on the side of the re-worked Hornby Class 29 - photos do have a habit of showing up the shortcomings!

• Hornby Class 29 body on a Bachmann Class 25 chassis and a vague aproximation of a high revving engine, using sound files from a Howes sound project.
  • 08515 - renumbered Bachmann 08 based on a specific shunter that I photographed at Aberdeen in the early 80s

post-26609-0-74230400-1456691499_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-52483200-1456691501_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 6

.. more dirty diesels emerge from the paint shop. I must do something about the glazing on the side of the re-worked Hornby Class 29 - photos do have a habit of showing up the shortcomings!

• Hornby Class 29 body on a Bachmann Class 25 chassis and a vague aproximation of a high revving engine, using sound files from a Howes sound project.
  • 08515 - renumbered Bachmann 08 based on a specific shunter that I photographed at Aberdeen in the early 80s

Nice weathering on your NBL Class 29 !  Tiny tip: yellow snowploughs didn't appear until well into the Corporate Blue era, about 1972 IIRC.  Prior to that they were black/dark-grey/general-dirt colour - which has been mistaken for dirty yellow by some observers.

Alasdair

• Like 1

Nice weathering on your NBL Class 29 !  Tiny tip: yellow snowploughs didn't appear until well into the Corporate Blue era, about 1972 IIRC.  Prior to that they were black/dark-grey/general-dirt colour - which has been mistaken for dirty yellow by some observers.

Alasdair

Cheers for the insight Alisdair - the 1950s/60s 'transition era' is before my time, so there are a few mistakes or anachronistic details that I'm keen to avoid. I had no idea that yellow paint on ploughs were a later feature!- I guess this coincided with 'full yellow ends' based on the date you mentioned.

Cheers for the insight Alisdair - the 1950s/60s 'transition era' is before my time, so there are a few mistakes or anachronistic details that I'm keen to avoid. I had no idea that yellow paint on ploughs were a later feature!- I guess this coincided with 'full yellow ends' based on the date you mentioned.

You're welcome.  Rail Blue with full yellow ends was "official" from June 1966 but a lot of diesels got FYE while still in green: these sites http://www.derbysulzers.com/24inverness.html and http://www.railblue.com/rail_blue_history.htm (the latter doesn't seem to have been updated for a long time) will probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know, but a skim through will give you a flavour. Neither site seems to mention yellow snowploughs and my assertion of 1972 (the year before TOPS numbers came in) is based on personal observation - I lived in Inverness at the time and the staple motive power diet up there then was plough-fitted 24s and 26s.

HTH - keep up the good work !

Alasdair

You're welcome.  Rail Blue with full yellow ends was "official" from June 1966 but a lot of diesels got FYE while still in green: these sites http://www.derbysulzers.com/24inverness.html and http://www.railblue.com/rail_blue_history.htm (the latter doesn't seem to have been updated for a long time) will probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know, but a skim through will give you a flavour. Neither site seems to mention yellow snowploughs and my assertion of 1972 (the year before TOPS numbers came in) is based on personal observation - I lived in Inverness at the time and the staple motive power diet up there then was plough-fitted 24s and 26s.

HTH - keep up the good work !

Alasdair

Thanks Alasdair - tons of helpful information on those pages - a whole day could be passed browsing the splendid collection of highland 24s alone - it makes me think that an example of an Inverness allocated 24, complete with all the mods would look great on the railway!

• 3 weeks later...

.. and it was back to running some trains on a recent visit to the model railway! Here's a revitalised A1 (60158 'Aberdonian) - recovering from a snapped drivetrain bolt and some rough running to her former glory as a smooth running express loco!

post-26609-0-95266100-1458574440_thumb.jpg

post-26609-0-77928600-1458574543_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I haven't done any "war gaming" figures (or war gaming for that matter!) but I have taken some inspiration from that type of figure painting. I used to paint military models when I was a schoolboy and I guess that helped when I returned to railway modelling in recent years. I'm convinced the standard of people's paintwork has increased in the meantime though?

PS I've started putting pictures of the steam engines back on this thread ;-)

Apologies for the amount of 'likes' but this really is a cracking layout.  I like the mix of steam and green diesel.

Cheers,

William

Hi William - absolutely no apology needed! ... your comment is very much appreciated. We settled on the period of transition between steam and diesel as it offered the most variety - even in the North East corner of Scotland there was a remarkable variety of locomotives operating in the 1960s. We have a set of blu-era diesels and rolling stock that gets to take over the layout occasionaly (it's an era I remember with fondness). I do love the steam locos though - they are beautiful things to see running in miniature (or real life!).

• Like 1