I can't speak for Father Christmas but I'll be able to whet your appetite with photos of our other Gresleys after the next 'model-making' weekend down at my Dad's place.

My Dad has acquired this as an 'out-of-era' special treat!

post-26609-0-48486800-1447434517_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 3

Great looking layout

Really like the weathering on the locos,especially the wd.

Did you do that yourself?

Cheers

Ben

Thanks for the feedback Ben - Yes - I did these. I'm pretty happy with the way it's going, especially some of the steam loco weathering (which aren't from a period I remember)

I started with light touches before my confidence grew and I've had a chance to do a couple of WDs - one of which we sold on : 

post-26609-0-00645000-1447442978_thumb.jpg 

To be honest, there were so many photos of them in a 'well used' state that it was easy to find some examples to copy.

Have you tried your hand? I must admit to being nervous of making a mess of it when I first started out! Fortunately a couple of early disasters were restricted to cheap body shells that I was happy to strip or scrap.

Edited by brylonscamel

Thanks to the intervention of wind and rain, another Sunday was spent in the company of glue, modelling implements and a cutting board!

Fettling an old Lima class 40 body-shell

post-26609-0-73436000-1447675134_thumb.jpg

A rough card mockup of Aberdeen Ferryhill signal box

post-26609-0-28098400-1447674941_thumb.jpg

Some gardens for a domestic terrace

post-26609-0-77195800-1447675144_thumb.jpg

Some nice work there, love the weathering and the signal box, I was quite impressed when that popped up on Flickr :)

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul - thanks again for the kind words.

There are a few fun winter modelling projects in the pipeline; a class 26 and a class 29 plus some carriages & wagons, lighting for the layout and trying my hand at foliage and trees!!

.. have you got much planned?

(PS I forgot you were following my Flickr account - be warned, you'll probably be bombarded with pictures of my cycling adventures and the dog among the railway stuff)

Edited by brylonscamel

• RMweb Gold

Ha ha mines full of the dog to!!

As for plans, if I can get the junction finished and the catchpoints by next summer I'll be happy :D (I'll know tonight if diamond crossing take 4 is a success).

Looking forward to your projects mate.

Cheers, Paul

Great weathering and nicely done

I got a few locos including a wd that really need weathering for my layout but i never done it before

I'll have to invest in an airbrush and have a practice on some old tat first!

Im guessing youve changed the windows on the lima class 40?

Looks very good and a lot better than the original ones,was it easy to do?

Cheers

Ben

Great weathering and nicely done

I got a few locos including a wd that really need weathering for my layout but i never done it before

I'll have to invest in an airbrush and have a practice on some old tat first!

Im guessing youve changed the windows on the lima class 40?

Looks very good and a lot better than the original ones,was it easy to do?

Cheers

Ben

Re: Weathering - I also had a couple of 'old tat' practice pieces to start with! That's definitely a good plan. The airbrush is a very useful tool, you can 'soften' any colour applied with a brush or a pen - plus it's great for applying varnish coats.

Re: The old Lima (now Hornby) class 40 body is a good moulding and I found it possible to pick them up relatively cheaply. The window surrounds are the worst part of the moulding, really heavy, thick bars but they can easily be filed back to something more pleasing. There is a very fine etching available from 'Shawplan' which also does the trick but I had some issues working with them and settled on some careful filing. The thing is you have to make your own glazing which is pretty time consuming.

Here's the previous one I did - D234 "Accra" using a modified Hornby body. The glazing is a bit wonky but I'm happy with the overall effect!:

post-26609-0-87346200-1448042014_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 2

Youve done a very nice job of those cab windows.

It's something ive thought about doing with an old Hornby or lima class 40,rather than buy a nice detailed expensive Bachmann one,i might have a go myself.

Is the cab glazing three separate windows?

Or just one piece?

What did you use for the glazing?

Ive seen the shawplan kit but i dont think ive got the skills to fit it and make it look good!

Cheers

Ben

Youve done a very nice job of those cab windows.

It's something ive thought about doing with an old Hornby or lima class 40,rather than buy a nice detailed expensive Bachmann one,i might have a go myself.

Is the cab glazing three separate windows?

Or just one piece?

What did you use for the glazing?

Ive seen the shawplan kit but i dont think ive got the skills to fit it and make it look good!

Cheers

Ben

Each set of windows has 3 x individual pieces of glazing (cut and filed to shape from transparent plastic sheet). The sheet has to be reasonably thick to give the glue and edge to fix to.

PS The Shawplan etchings are very nice but I struggled a bit with handling them and you still have to cut away the original window surrounds.

• Like 1

Ha ha mines full of the dog to!!

As for plans, if I can get the junction finished and the catchpoints by next summer I'll be happy :D (I'll know tonight if diamond crossing take 4 is a success).

Looking forward to your projects mate.

Cheers, Paul

"diamond crossing take 4" - that sounds like quite a project on its own 

• 1 month later...

Here's a long view of the station / harbour / street scene at Braeside. I'm always reminded on these views how much card / kit built modelling we've used and it's still taken ages to get this far. Although I like scratch building, I'm not sure how much it would have slowed progress - maybe a smaller layout and the whole thing would have been built to represent a real location!

post-26609-0-06060600-1453307180_thumb.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 4