Class 20 come with lights?

meatloaf

To the best of my knowledge, no Bachmann class 20s have yet come out with factory-fitted lights.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, Express Models do some lighting kits.

I have had success with a lighting kit from an eBay seller who goes under the name 'Stickswipe'. In fact, I was so impressed with his work I bought more kits off him for other locomotive types. His class 17 headcode kits are particularly nice, and I have done a disc headcode class 20 and have a four-character one still to install, plus a class 24 disc headcode kit to install.

The cabs come of fairly easily. Usually there is a spot of glue anchoring it at the top of the hood, but the amount of glue does vary from model to model. Break the glue joint, preferably from inside, then splay the lower cabside  edges outwards and push upwards and the cab should slide up the guide grooves moulded to the inner bonnet/hood end.

All of the above assumes you have removed the body from the chassis first.

While I appreciate that not everyone has the skills or abilities to do the necessary modifications, if you can, it does make a nice difference to the model.

BachmannClass20LightsFitted-3_zps6ddfd5d

BachmannClass20LightsFitted-7_zpsac073cd

• RMweb Gold

I can also recommend 'Stickswipe' (eBay) for lighting kits

if you prefer to deal with a physical shop rather than eBay, I believe Digitrains offer 'Stickswipe's' services (it's my understanding that 'Stickswipe' is Jason Edmunds; take a look their website under 'Our Services->Decoder Installation')

No relation; I'm just a happy customer.

Cheers

Rob

Cheers for the reply. Bit of a disappointment that theres no lights as standard. I thought most new diesels these days came with lighting. I'll have a think on what to do now. Was debating between the sound fitted 20 and the large logo blue 37 split from the highlander set.

I was also disappointed when I bought the new sound fitted class 20 a few weeks ago and found it had no lights whatsoever. I took up an offer of service by a local shop to me, Sawyer Models in Newton Le Willows, to have their DCC expert fit lights and when I visited the shop witnessed one operating with new blown sound profiles also. So I went for it. Cost extra money but it now has full working forward and reversing lights and a cab light which operates from a function which plays the cab door shutting and then the cablight goes on or off. I thought the reblow of the sound set was also better than the Bachmann version and they also relocated the speaker slightly to give a better sound output. Only my opinion on the improvements as I am not an expert in the authentic sound department, but there you go if you want another option?

Cheers

John Geeee

• 3 months later...

How much was it for the lights to be fitted?

Hi, we do indeed fit directional lighting into class 20s and also into other locos that don't come with lights. We also fit smoke, lights and firebox flicker into steam locos. Stickswipe works with us and is actually in the shop this Saturday 5th March 2016 10.30am to 4.30pm. Feel free to come into the shop and speak to Jason or ring us on 01925 227835 and speak to him on Saturday. Cheers Andy, sawyer models

I can also recommend 'Stickswipe' (eBay) for lighting kits

if you prefer to deal with a physical shop rather than eBay, I believe Digitrains offer 'Stickswipe's' services (it's my understanding that 'Stickswipe' is Jason Edmunds; take a look their website under 'Our Services->Decoder Installation')

No relation; I'm just a happy customer.

Cheers

Rob

I can also recommend his work, he's done a lot of my locos.

• 2 months later...

My Bachmann Class 20 has been waiting for this upgrade for years. 

I wouldn't bother doing the soldering direct onto the decoder, it's too risky. There is a power take-off adapter for a 21 pin decoder from ESU which stacks, adding ca. 3mm to the height. I have ordered the ESU part number  51967 (21 MTCfor my Loksound 3.5, which costs under 10€, there is a similar board for the Loksound 4.0.The 21pin is a norm, so it should work for other 21 pin decoders.

I plan to install 2 dual-colour 3mm LEDs into 2 end tubes, each with 2  size 1 mm cheap optical fibers. This makes a much tidier  solution, given the tightness of the space and the smallness of the lights on a Class 20 (under 1 mm, too small for an LED).

Here's the link to the Ebay Shop in Germany where the prices are much cheaper than in the UK -

http://www.ebay.de/itm/2-10m-1-0-mm-Glasfaserkabel-Lichtleiterkabel-Lichtwellenleiter-Endpunkt-Zub-/281778350918

post-4651-0-80584100-1462193625.jpg

post-4651-0-34492000-1462193669.jpg

I wouldn't bother doing the soldering direct onto the decoder, it's too risky. 

Em  - no need to risk damaging the decoder or fitting an adapter board within the limited space in a Class 20  - just solder the required extra wires etc to the existing Bachmann 21pin board at the respective terminals..........SMD LED's and fibre optics are the best option.......

Fitting lights to the Class 20 (both versions) will be one of the models I will cover in my new WB thread - coming soon...........................

HTH

Ken

post-2215-0-03240200-1462380083_thumb.jpg

Em  - no need to risk damaging the decoder or fitting an adapter board within the limited space in a Class 20  - just solder the required extra wires etc to the existing Bachmann 21pin board at the respective terminals..........SMD LED's and fibre optics are the best option.......

Fitting lights to the Class 20 (both versions) will be one of the models I will cover in my new WB thread - coming soon...........................

HTH

Ken

That's what I did as well. I removed the valuable decoder (well, you have to to get at the board underneath anyway!) then soldered the wires in. Those damned chokes get in the way (that's the things that look like coiled copper springs), but with some care and a bit of swearing, it can be done. I tested using an ordinary, non-sound decoder, just to make doubly sure that i hadn't accidentally shorted any terminals. Once happy with everything, i reinserted the sound decoder and all was well, and I was very happy! :)

My Bachmann Class 20 has been waiting for this upgrade for years.

I wouldn't bother doing the soldering direct onto the decoder, it's too risky. There is a power take-off adapter for a 21 pin decoder from ESU which stacks, adding ca. 3mm to the height. I have ordered the ESU part number 51967 (21 MTC) for my Loksound 3.5, which costs under 10€, there is a similar board for the Loksound 4.0.The 21pin is a norm, so it should work for other 21 pin decoders.

I plan to install 2 dual-colour 3mm LEDs into 2 end tubes, each with 2 size 1 mm cheap optical fibers. This makes a much tidier solution, given the tightness of the space and the smallness of the lights on a Class 20 (under 1 mm, too small for an LED).

Here's the link to the Ebay Shop in Germany where the prices are much cheaper than in the UK -

http://www.ebay.de/itm/2-10m-1-0-mm-Glasfaserkabel-Lichtleiterkabel-Lichtwellenleiter-Endpunkt-Zub-/281778350918

I find it very straightforward to solder the lighting cables directly to the decoder board pins on the locos pcb. It's even easier to discard the pcb altogether, and hard wire the installation.

• 1 month later...

I was at the Waverley Model Railway Club's exhibition last weekend (here in Melbourne) and there were a couple of really nice British-based N gauge layouts present. On one I noted a class 20 with headcode lights all lit up, and thought to myself, "If they can do this in N scale, why not in OO?".

It does seem to be an overdue upgrade.

Archived