Model Rail 217 January 2016

dibber25

• RMweb Premium

My subs have expired, I need to get one from WHS. For me Model Rail remains the best Model Railway magazine, I've tried others, including BRM but still go back to Model Rail.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the direct debit payment of subs... Every year the date seems to creep forward, it's never the same. But it's only a small grip.

Otherwise the Mag is a definite read.

Just got my copy today. Pity about the missing page as it actually has the most useful bridge picture.

Most of the pictures don't show track, except on conventional ballasted track. Girder bridges are always interesting designs, but more often than not sleepered track is used, and in many cases this is not correct.

Most of us have probably built the Dapol(ex Airfix) girder bridge, then fitted an ordinary piece of track. I Have seen similar real bridges with either the rail fitted to chairs directly onto bridge structure, or rail sitting on a longitudinal beam. I thought about this last year, and came up with some simple beams with a slot to fit rail, based on same profile as my 3D printed track. The beams just clip onto the bridge, very simple. Obviously only suits 16.5mm gauge, but you could cut up the bridge to create different gauges.

photo here.

dapol-bridge-sm1.jpg

The rail is obviously not sitting on the beam, but gives a pretty good impression of a lightweight rail

I have also designed complete open girder bridges for 3D printing.

basic-open-girder-straight-bridge.jpg

I would not want to run Eurostar across it though!

Model Rail seems to have lost its way a bit for me.  This latest issue I feel is poor value for money for me.  We now find in each edition a catalogue of single picture themes - this month bridges and tunnels - all of which information can be otherwise easily downloaded from the internet.  For me these themes add nothing to my knowledge.  And like ChrisG it seems that we also have an on-going catalogue of manufacturers' promises and vague delivery dates.  At lease SLW have broken that mould with the release of their Class 24 out of the blue - or is it green? - with no prior announcement.

Even the Allan Downes article was a regurg of an earlier MR supplement and added nothing new.

It is appreciated that it must be difficult to come up with new articles each month - after all down the years Model Rail has covered most topics for the average modeller.  Or is it now a case that many modellers have paid up front a reduced subscription for the magazine and we have to accept what is given in these latest issues with less information, rather than make a judgement on a purchase of the magazine after a browse on the newsagent's shelf?

For me the strong point of Model Rail in its earlier years was bringing to the attention of modellers a variety of bits and pieces, often from smaller suppliers, which we would not have previously known about, and often these bits have been of use on our layouts. That information I would find interesting and useful rather than the continuing promises of the bigger manufacturers.

I do tend to agree, pages of pictures of tunnels and bridges and recent previous issues have followed the same theme. I'd rather have more information about sourcing the parts to make models of structures and more pages devoted to construction and adaptation rather than pages of pictures I can find on the Internet or indeed in any book on railways.

One problem with information about sourcing parts is that the information can go out of date very quickly. This happens more often with loco body kits, but can happen with any model dependent on a particular supplied part.

Great to hear there is more planned about bridge building. For me it is one essential part of model railway building that needs more prototype info and articles in magazines. Those who know it all  obviously won't be interested, but we all have a responsibility to help the hobby, and attract less experienced modellers to keep the hobby going.

There are many different paths to follow, but we can all learn something new, however much we think we know everything.

(sounds a bit like a Chinese proverb , but then I did study Philosophy ant university!).

=====================

Chris, I quickly googled 'Shinohara bridge track with guard rails' , and it looks interesting, but is I feel more typical of American practice on open girder bridges. Found on bigger bridges around the world, but for small lightweight railways(unless they are mainly wood) , everything is kept to a minimum.  Still an essential, for ballasted track on some bridges though.

Just got my copy today. Pity about the missing page as it actually has the most useful bridge picture.

Most of the pictures don't show track, except on conventional ballasted track. Girder bridges are always interesting designs, but more often than not sleepered track is used, and in many cases this is not correct.

Most of us have probably built the Dapol(ex Airfix) girder bridge, then fitted an ordinary piece of track. I Have seen similar real bridges with either the rail fitted to chairs directly onto bridge structure, or rail sitting on a longitudinal beam. I thought about this last year, and came up with some simple beams with a slot to fit rail, based on same profile as my 3D printed track. The beams just clip onto the bridge, very simple. Obviously only suits 16.5mm gauge, but you could cut up the bridge to create different gauges.

photo here.

dapol-bridge-sm1.jpg

The rail is obviously not sitting on the beam, but gives a pretty good impression of a lightweight rail

Anyone seen that Film Casandra Crossing :scared:

I do tend to agree, pages of pictures of tunnels and bridges and recent previous issues have followed the same theme. I'd rather have more information about sourcing the parts to make models of structures and more pages devoted to construction and adaptation rather than pages of pictures I can find on the Internet or indeed in any book on railways.

The theme of each issue has been different. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

The theme of each issue has been different. (CJL)

And rather an interesting approach it has been.  Thus far (I've yet to plunge into 217) there has been something of interest in every one of the themes which suggests to me they have all been tackled with a bit of thought about their wider modelling application as well as the theme itself.  Definitely makes an interesting and refreshing change from the usual approach to model railway magazine contents.  

I WOULD have bought a copy today—but it isn't showing in the iPad app despite having updated the app.

I've just tried to download the January issue. Same thing. It did not show up on the IPad app, even after logging out then back in and updating the app

Malcolm Turner

Calgary,Alberta

The Allan Downes article was all new - based on an interview conducted just a couple of weeks ago and a set of Chris Nevard photos taken recently of projects which Allan has produced since the supplement was done. Nothing was 'regurgitated' although, of course, Allan does tend to use the same methods. He does, of course, play "Apache' every time!

We feature new 'bits and pieces' when we receive them or hear about them but there are no longer the numbers of 'cottage industry' manufacturers that there used to be and therefore not the numbers of 'bits and pieces'. We certainly don't reduce the content of the magazine to match reduced subscription rates! I guess that's some sort of seasonal humour?! (CJL)

Allan Downes is certainly quite a catch for the magazine. Before the articles in Model Rail I don't remember having seen anything about him or from him in any of the magazines for years. The recent articles however seem only to scratch the surface however. The theme seems to be "it is easier than you think it is", but I would really appreciate some in depth description of the techniques he uses rather than being left agog but not actually feeling I've learned anything useful to help me aspire to his standards. The article a while back about half timbered buildings was a case in point - they are superb buildings and whilst I understood the methods he uses, I didn't feel I had learned any specifics which would help me to emulate him.

Chris

Allan Downes is certainly quite a catch for the magazine. Before the articles in Model Rail I don't remember having seen anything about him or from him in any of the magazines for years. The recent articles however seem only to scratch the surface however. The theme seems to be "it is easier than you think it is", but I would really appreciate some in depth description of the techniques he uses rather than being left agog but not actually feeling I've learned anything useful to help me aspire to his standards. The article a while back about half timbered buildings was a case in point - they are superb buildings and whilst I understood the methods he uses, I didn't feel I had learned any specifics which would help me to emulate him.

Chris

Allan did articles for Model Railway Constructor way back in the days when he used fire clay for his stonework. It surprises me that you felt the articles haven't been in enough depth because the half-timbering one was explained and illustrated - if I remember correctly -perhaps a year/18 months ago. It's almost so simple it's difficult to provide step-by-step illustrations  - he cuts overlays and sprays them black and then laminates the layers one of top of the other. That's really all there is to it. His genius is in the way he sees things and simplifies them in his mind, and uses everyday objects to represent features - the margarine tub lid for the rose window of the cathedral for instance. Much of that is very difficult to demonstrate or to teach. And he is a dab hand with a Stanley knife, of course. (CJL)

Much of that is very difficult to demonstrate or to teach. And he is a dab hand with a Stanley knife, of course. (CJL)

Yep, but that, of course, is the skill of teaching - having the ability to explain and demonstrate complex and difficult techniques and ideas in a simple, consise and understandable manner. It helps to break things down in to step and stages that can easily be followed and digested.

But at the end of the day, although theories and mechanical skills can be readily taught, it is much more difficult to teach common sense and intuition.

G.

Chris, you make a good point about teaching  skills and difficulty.

I wonder if something that is alwas a skill, so can be taught. The real skill, is knowing how to cheat and get away with it. Using everyday objects is a good example. It is not something that can be taught, except to tell people to keep their eyes open, and think sideways. Unfortunately it is also very easy to try to follow this approach and make a complete hash of it, even when you think you have followed what someone else has done. Chances are you have over complicated something, in the belief it is better, but keeping it simple is often the best approach.

When I have seen Allan's building in magazines, and that goes back many years, I use them as inspiration, rather than trying to copy what he has done. Being creative is a lot more than just creating things, it needs thought. A lot of dead ends will be found, but you will get there in the end. Just don't expect to get there quickly.

It is not something that can be taught, except to tell people to keep their eyes open, and think sideways.

It can be taught. It might not be easy but the first thing is to provide examples and then some suggestions and exercises of how to think laterally and problem solve. It is possible to train people to be more creative with their thinking. Repeat exercises will improve skills and results.

But that is the difficult role of the magazines in showing how to undertake modelling techniques within the constraint of the media format. 

G

If we could find everything we wanted on the internet, then there would be no need for paper magazines. Not only is that not the case,but not everyone who is interested uses or has access to  the internet, and those that do, don't want to have to spend all their time trying to find something. I've been there, frustrating and quite often unrewarded .

I think the idea of a theme is a good idea. It can build up into an easy to follow reference guide. Obviously all those with this information already won't actually need to buy any magazines  again, but I think the vast majority of quiet happy modellers will find it interesting.

A simple answer to those who continue to grumble that the articles don't interest them, and one I keep repeating, is to write an article themselves. It is actually quite good fun, can be hard work, and you can then suggest other grumblers do the same.

The amount of people gaining access to the internet is increasing on a daily basis, and these people are soon discovering what a mine on information and mis-information it really is.

Whilst that is happening the amount of magazine subscriptions is falling, I know this from my own postal round.

Magazines are expensive to produce, and nowadays most of the information is held in digital form, so trasferring it all to digital subscription is realtively easy compared to reproducing it in ink and paper, it's also a lot cheaper.

People can be guided. A good guide/teacher can help me achieve what they are aiming for, but skills and creativity are different things. Often linked but not the same. A computer/robot can follow instructions(ie it can be taught to do something) but it can not actually 'create'. A robot would not think(?) of using a glue bottle or a margarine tub lid, unless it had been programmed in specifically.

I studied advanced logic as part of my degree, and also observed development of various logical programming languages as part of my IT career. You can never assume something will happen or not, you have to actually detail out every possibility, although faster computers have managed to process all the possibilities of an action a lot faster, they still don't have that extra bit we as humans have. This is where 'art' separates from making something. Trouble with English language is that 'create' is being used to two different ways, one to make something that has been done before(more skill based) and something new(although someone else might have had a similar idea).

=====================

Graham, your point about fewer magazines being posted might be true, it is that delivery system which competes directly with online/digital, but I have found many newsagents very busy. As a hobby we still have far more different magazines than many other hobbies. It is all part of the online versus real shop discussion. When things go right, then online works very well, but many find there are problems(quite a few reported here), but dealing with a real shop in person can sort things out better most of the time. There are weak links in the chain, one being for magazines, not enough magazines at local wholesaler (i had this problem a few years ago when I found wholesaler only had one copy of a relatively new magazine to send out).

Real book sales have actually gone up, from both online and real shops, despite e-books being promoted as the way forward. Maybe we don't think of magazines as long term items, and maybe that is a reflection on what actually goes into the magazine. It is for that reason I think a 'themed' approach, for Model Rail, actually helps, as that info can be easily accessed in the future if you keep hold of the magazine. Scale drawings, like what MRC did are another topic that should make magazine not just something you buy for that month. Some will argue they don't have the space to store magazines, but that is quite often just an excuse.

If you know what you want then buying online is easier, but visiting a real model shop will open up more options, especially for those who don't know what they want, or maybe are convinced something is better, but an experienced shop person can show them the best way to do something(not necessarily the best for the shop, but happy customers come back to buy more). In theory online forums should fill this void, caused by closure of your local model shop, but it does not always work, possibly because there are too many people chipping in. Nice to have discussions, but does not always go the right way.

People can be guided. A good guide/teacher can help me achieve what they are aiming for, but skills and creativity are different things. Often linked but not the same.

We are talking about people here, not machines, computers or robots. Yes, people can be guided. But they can also think and have an ability to learn.

What's more is that they can be encouraged, taught and develop creativity and creative thinking. Just because it is a 'difficult' subject/area to explain and demonstrate in a magazine doesn't make that an excuse not to try or to say it is not possible. In the end it's not about what the teacher is aiming for but the ambition and realisation of the pupil regarding their own aspirations and wants. The teacher provides the encouragement and shows the path and tools required to get there.

G.

We are talking about people here, not machines, computers or robots. Yes, people can be guided. But they can also think and have an ability to learn.

What's more is that they can be encouraged, taught and develop creativity and creative thinking. Just because it is a 'difficult' subject/area to explain and demonstrate in a magazine doesn't make that an excuse not to try or to say it is not possible. In the end it's not about what the teacher is aiming for but the ambition and realisation of the pupil regarding their own aspirations and wants. The teacher provides the encouragement and shows the path and tools required to get there.

G.

We endeavour to teach, guide, develop and encourage modelling and modelling skills by the step-by-step articles and other features that are in every issue of Model Rail. We have featured Allan's techniques in past years and we continue to do so from time to time. However, we don't have a photographer at Allan's every day to take step-by-step photos and he completes some of these wonderful buildings very quickly. I seem to recall he recently built three churches in as many weeks. His methods are always the same and therefore if we repeat them too often we'll be accused (as we were, quite wrongly, further back in this thread) of repeating stuff we've done before. We also have to bear in mind that at 80 years old, Allan provides us with what he wants to provide, when he wants, and we can't go pressuring him to do things or explain things according to our requirements. (CJL)

Am I correct in identifying the location of the Tunnel on the title page of "Spans and Bores" as Hastings? West End?

Bo-Peep Tunnel looking through to a train in St Leonards Warrior Square Station? (Which is very like a London Underground Station with a tunnel at each platform end!)

photo here.

dapol-bridge-sm1.jpg

Years ago we built a Girder Bridge.

We removed the sleeper ends from the lengths of track on the bridge (Set Track) and also removed most of the cross sleepers, leaving some at standard spacings to maintain gauge.

The track was fixed straight to the bridge deck, no cork or foam used!

A quick method of simulating "Baulk Road" as used on some bridges....

We also made notches in the rail tops at scale 60 foot spacings.

The rumble of a train crossing the bridge was great! :sungum:

Allan did articles for Model Railway Constructor way back in the days when he used fire clay for his stonework. It surprises me that you felt the articles haven't been in enough depth because the half-timbering one was explained and illustrated - if I remember correctly -perhaps a year/18 months ago. It's almost so simple it's difficult to provide step-by-step illustrations  - he cuts overlays and sprays them black and then laminates the layers one of top of the other. That's really all there is to it. His genius is in the way he sees things and simplifies them in his mind, and uses everyday objects to represent features - the margarine tub lid for the rose window of the cathedral for instance. Much of that is very difficult to demonstrate or to teach. And he is a dab hand with a Stanley knife, of course. (CJL)

Maybe I am expecting too much!  But my reaction to the Tudor article was a) I cannot cut the black pieces that accurately and b) when I laminate things, they warp!   Neither of these things happen to Allan, obviously, and he is also able to work much more quickly than I am  - I just don't feel like I've had a real insight into how he works at a level that is going to benefit me in my unending quest for accurate cutting and straight walls!   And just taking this a bit further, whilst Allan is the epitome of structure building and has been for 30-40 years (I remember his articles in the Modeller in the 70s and believe I even once saw his layout at a MRC exhibition in London one year at around the same time), structure modelling is now moving into the realms of CAD, 3D printing and laser cutting, which would particularly interest people like me who have difficulty making a good job hand crafting things. So something on those subjects would be useful....

Chris

I've just tried to download the January issue. Same thing. It did not show up on the IPad app, even after logging out then back in and updating the app

Malcolm Turner

Calgary,Alberta

I just got this email after chasing up the missing online version:

Thanks for the email. There is indeed a problem!

We initially uploaded the issue and found a couple of pages were missing, so decided to reupload - at which point, the app broke and the Jan issue disappeared completely.

We're trying to fix it now and are hoping the January issue will be live again for this evening.

In the meantime, many apologies for the trouble caused.

Best wishes,

Jim

Jim Foster

Head of ePublishing

Bauer Consumer Media

Archived