Warley Show new model announcements.

Oxford Rail LSWR Adams Radial 4-4-2T review

Heljan O gauge hoppers review

Layouts:

Priorsfield (Astolat MRC 'OO')

Cirencester (P4)

Bridges and Tunnels inspirations main feature

Masterclass GWR 'Hall' 4-6-0 and tweaks to Hornby's Railroad 'Hall'

Jason Shron talks about recording authentic locomotive sound.

Workbench: Build a basic bridge, How to make a tunnel, Learning from a professional - Stephan Kraus, Wiring-free light and sound for S stock, Mike Harris interviews Allan Downes about his latest work and techniques.

Q&A, Exhibition Diary, Backscene. 

Lots of free exclamation marks!!!

post-1062-0-96859400-1449485211_thumb.jpg

....or just the influence of marketeers.

Thus not mutually exclusive!  (!!!!!!)

Oops!

Just actually looked at the rest of the cover illustration again - isn't the degree of superelevation inflicted on the "Adams" a little excessive?

• RMweb Gold

Thus not mutually exclusive!  (!!!!!!)

Oops!

Just actually looked at the rest of the cover illustration again - isn't the degree of superelevation inflicted on the "Adams" a little excessive?

Well, the prototype did have to go round sharp curves.... I'll get my coat.

• RMweb Premium

Seriously how petulant have we become? Complaining about the way a cover of a magazine is put together? Who cares if there are lots of exclamation marks? What does it matter if a picture is slanted of straight?

Seriously how petulant have we become? Complaining about the way a cover of a magazine is put together?

Erm, it's just some gentle ribbing. Nothing serious. It's the sort of thing that goes on here and many other forums. I'm surprised you haven't noticed before!!!!!!

Take for example the post below. You know that seriousness diminishes by half for every exclamation mark added. Just like the cover. We're not expected to take it seriously otherwise they wouldn't be included.

G.

Well really!!!

I cannot see what the issue is!!!!!!

Blethering on about a load of page setting!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a spy from Warners in the house ... ?

Chris

Magazines trying to outdo each other in numbers of new models is amusing: I could  count only a handful in either magazine which actually exist and can be purchased!  

Model Rail seems to have lost its way a bit for me.  This latest issue I feel is poor value for money for me.  We now find in each edition a catalogue of single picture themes - this month bridges and tunnels - all of which information can be otherwise easily downloaded from the internet.  For me these themes add nothing to my knowledge.  And like ChrisG it seems that we also have an on-going catalogue of manufacturers' promises and vague delivery dates.  At lease SLW have broken that mould with the release of their Class 24 out of the blue - or is it green? - with no prior announcement.

Even the Allan Downes article was a regurg of an earlier MR supplement and added nothing new.

It is appreciated that it must be difficult to come up with new articles each month - after all down the years Model Rail has covered most topics for the average modeller.  Or is it now a case that many modellers have paid up front a reduced subscription for the magazine and we have to accept what is given in these latest issues with less information, rather than make a judgement on a purchase of the magazine after a browse on the newsagent's shelf?

For me the strong point of Model Rail in its earlier years was bringing to the attention of modellers a variety of bits and pieces, often from smaller suppliers, which we would not have previously known about, and often these bits have been of use on our layouts. That information I would find interesting and useful rather than the continuing promises of the bigger manufacturers. 

Model Rail seems to have lost its way a bit for me.  This latest issue I feel is poor value for money for me.  We now find in each edition a catalogue of single picture themes - this month bridges and tunnels - all of which information can be otherwise easily downloaded from the internet.  For me these themes add nothing to my knowledge.  And like ChrisG it seems that we also have an on-going catalogue of manufacturers' promises and vague delivery dates.  At lease SLW have broken that mould with the release of their Class 24 out of the blue - or is it green? - with no prior announcement.

Even the Allan Downes article was a regurg of an earlier MR supplement and added nothing new.

It is appreciated that it must be difficult to come up with new articles each month - after all down the years Model Rail has covered most topics for the average modeller.  Or is it now a case that many modellers have paid up front a reduced subscription for the magazine and we have to accept what is given in these latest issues with less information, rather than make a judgement on a purchase of the magazine after a browse on the newsagent's shelf?

For me the strong point of Model Rail in its earlier years was bringing to the attention of modellers a variety of bits and pieces, often from smaller suppliers, which we would not have previously known about, and often these bits have been of use on our layouts. That information I would find interesting and useful rather than the continuing promises of the bigger manufacturers. 

The Allan Downes article was all new - based on an interview conducted just a couple of weeks ago and a set of Chris Nevard photos taken recently of projects which Allan has produced since the supplement was done. Nothing was 'regurgitated' although, of course, Allan does tend to use the same methods. He does, of course, play "Apache' every time!

We feature new 'bits and pieces' when we receive them or hear about them but there are no longer the numbers of 'cottage industry' manufacturers that there used to be and therefore not the numbers of 'bits and pieces'. We certainly don't reduce the content of the magazine to match reduced subscription rates! I guess that's some sort of seasonal humour?! (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

I won't be getting my copy until it hits the bookstalls on Thursday. It has been mentioned on Facebook that due to an error at the printers a whole page is 'missing' from the printed editions. A downloadable/printed copy of the missing page (61) is available from the publishers.

• RMweb Premium

As I always say, if god had intended us to use exclamation marks everywhere he'd have made us all German.

PS. what is it with the German language and exclamation marks? They use the things everywhere.

• RMweb Premium

Model Rail seems to have lost its way a bit for me.  This latest issue I feel is poor value for money for me.  We now find in each edition a catalogue of single picture themes - this month bridges and tunnels - all of which information can be otherwise easily downloaded from the internet.  For me these themes add nothing to my knowledge.  

I have to agree with the "single theme" editions, if the subject is of no interest then it's not going to sell. At least with "multiple themed" editions there's normally something for everyone's taste.

If we could find everything we wanted on the internet, then there would be no need for paper magazines. Not only is that not the case,but not everyone who is interested uses or has access to  the internet, and those that do, don't want to have to spend all their time trying to find something. I've been there, frustrating and quite often unrewarded .

I think the idea of a theme is a good idea. It can build up into an easy to follow reference guide. Obviously all those with this information already won't actually need to buy any magazines  again, but I think the vast majority of quiet happy modellers will find it interesting.

A simple answer to those who continue to grumble that the articles don't interest them, and one I keep repeating, is to write an article themselves. It is actually quite good fun, can be hard work, and you can then suggest other grumblers do the same.

About time for a Devon issue.

Then we could have Westward Ho!

The cover would of course highlight it by describing it as Westward Ho!!

I thought that for the first edition of a new year it did a pretty good job of covering what new products we can expect.

Bernard

Wasn't 34036 the only loco with an exclamation mark on its nameplate? Being mischievous, I always thought 'Crewe Locomotive Works' ought to have an exclamation mark. (CJL)

I have to ask - what happened to the steps on the Oxford Adams Radial? Or are they like that on the real loco?

I did mention in the review 'mis-fitted parts' and these were among them. Had not noticed quite how bad the steps were until I saw the photo. They are firmly glued in that position and are tight against the water tank pipes, so it won't be easy to break the glue joint and reposition them. They aren't like that on the real loco - they should be vertical. If I figure a way to correct them, I'll include it in Backscene but for now, bad as they are, I'm leaving them alone. (CJL)

Archived