Trewithick (EM)

Imaginary GWR branchline terminus in the china clay area of Cornwall

Blake Hall (00)

(tbc)

Coldfair Green (P4)

Typical country terminal station in East Anglia in period 1920 to 1960

Priory Lane (N)

Micro/minimum space layout of a small country station in BR period

Tony Wright has also accepted an invitation to attend and will be bringing along Locomotives and stock he has built along with some current projects for a demo.

Other traders and societies:

Ian Shave

Modellers Mate

Beds & Bucks NG Modellers (tbc)

Book Law Publications

Model Roads & Tramways

H & A Models

Smallford Project

Sandy Transport Society (tbc)

Friends of National Railway Museum

EBMRS Second hand Emporium

Elaine's Trains

Fawn Electronics (tbc)

Model Bus Federation

Nine Elms Models

More information here - http://ebmrs.org.uk/show.htm

There are roadworks in Biggleswade (replacement of the high street bridge over the ECML) and so for access to the show it would be better to approach London Road/Eagle farm road from the A1 South roundabout.

Information reading the closeure can be found here -

http://www.biggleswadetowncouncil.gov.uk/Biggleswade-TC/road_closures-2762.aspx

http://roadworks.org/

http://www.biggleswadetowncouncil.gov.uk/Biggleswade-TC/UserFiles/Files/900203-1200-001%20Diversion%20routes%20A1%20Rev3.pdf

The usual warm welcome extends to all who attend and we look forward to seeing you all.

As ever I am the "muscle" on the door.

• RMweb Gold

Having seen Sidmouth before that's one well worth seeing along with the other very good layouts listed. Sidmouth stands out not only as a superb model but I once started building a model of the station. Got as far as the platforms and track down but lost the space in which to finish it.

• 3 weeks later...

This has never been a down-market exhibition, but it was noticeable last year that the finescale quota had been increased and this year the ante has been upped even further.  As a result, the Biggleswade Show is rapidly moving from the realms of one I'd attend if there's enough there to interest me to one that I'll attend as a matter of course because I know there'll be plenty to interest me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have updated the list to include those now confirmed to attend.

Tony Wright has also kindly agreed to attend with locomotives and stock as a small demo.

So who knows, a Tony Wright A4 on Cheriton Bishop?.........I hope so!

Roll up, Roll up......get your tickets.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here is an unashamed bump for our show this coming Saturday. 

Preparations ( and cake making) are well in hand this year and Dick has booked another superb selection of layouts to attend. Full details can be found on the clubs website   http://ebmrs.org.uk/index.htm

Costs increase year on year but we've managed to keep the admission the same as the last few years, So in real terms we're cheaper! 

The bridge on the High St over the ECML is still closed (it's missing) so if coming by road it is best to approach from the Biggleswade South (A1) Roundabout, maps are in the first post at the top of the thread.

Look forward to seeing you all.

• RMweb Gold

It seems my original post has been corrupted.

For details of our show which is this coming Saturday visit our website

http://ebmrs.org.uk/show.htm

But please take note that the main High St bridge over the railway has been closed (it's gone!) so there are one way systems in Central Biggleswade, the easiest way to approach the show is to head for the A1 South roundabout and enter Bigglewade along London Road, we will have signposts out as usual.

Dick and Alastair have booked some superb layouts to view......and we have cake....lots of cake...

See you there. 

• RMweb Gold

Oh God, is it this weekend!?

Yep.

Tomorrow is barrier pick up, layout move, marking out the hall....Lunch.....Tea...more tea....move a few barriers.....more tea....fish and chips....then wing it for the rest of the weekend while Tony Wright does all the work...

Oh hang on...we haven't told him that part....

I have updated the list to include those now confirmed to attend.

Tony Wright has also kindly agreed to attend with locomotives and stock as a small demo.

So who knows, a Tony Wright A4 on Cheriton Bishop?.........I hope so!

Roll up, Roll up......get your tickets.....

Dave,

I think an A4 might be a bit big for a light branch, but you can certainly borrow this. 

post-18225-0-52043400-1455883754_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-35256400-1455883771_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to tomorrow. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Well, I have to say it wasn't bad at all. Not overcrowded, and a decent cake selection.

Ballyconnell Road was the main draw for me, though Sidmouth and the Swiss RhB effort were quite good. It was evident that some layouts had the odd problem with electrical continuity and "God's hand" was seen to be much in demand. Even Sidmouth wasn't immune.

This month's bargain spot was provided by Ian "Close" Shave: Bachmann Great Central Scenecraft buildings at about a quarter of the price they're usually seen at. I do wish he'd have the courage to accept cards though - not everyone carries huge wodges of notes nowadays, except maybe Venezuelans. "Cash only" might also risk getting the taxman interested for all the wrong reasons.

Cake rating: 8 out of 10 - a strong chocolate element!!

• RMweb Premium

Spent a nice couple of hours here today.  Standards are always high but this year all the layouts seems to be of the highest order, and a good proportion of them in the less 'commercial' scales / gauges, to the extent that it would be invidious to single any out.  Met several friends and acquaintances, and good to chat with Tony Wright and Chris P Bacon of this parish.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed - the O/H and I had the pleasure of talking with Tony and Mo for quite some time :); the S/H stand was very kind to me, as was the stand opposite selling s/h magazines.  As for the cakes and rolls......10/10.

Nice one lads and ladies - many thanks for the show. Can we have another one next week please?

Kind Regards,

Brian

Downside?:  Missed the Bachmann Scenecraft GC Buildings on Ian Shave's stand.... :(

....Downside?: Missed the Bachmann Scenecraft GC Buildings on Ian Shave's stand.... :(

They were on the left of the table, next to the three Murphy Irish coaches.

I bought a GC subway structure (one of two that he had) to add to the other Great Central buildings here. Not bad for a tenner. He was also offering the GC booking office and canopy for a tenner (RRP more like £40), but I already have one.

On the other hand, if he'd accepted cards, I'd have bought the lot. Then you'd really have missed 'em!

I'm still looking out for a GC waiting room.

I greatly enjoyed myself this afternoon. As others have said, the quality was excellent all round. It was inspiring to see how much quality modelling can be fitted in the smaller size layouts. Had a very interesting chat with the SNCF contingent about railcars.

Spoilt for choice with the cake selection, although being on a diet I restricted myself to just the one!

Was good to put some faces to avatars, fortunately Dave ('Chris P') didn't live up to his picture - beans must have been off the menu last night!

• RMweb Premium

Spoilt for choice with the cake selection, although being on a diet I restricted myself to just the one!

Bad move - I was assured they were all calorie free, otherwise I'd never have gone back later for a second wedge....  :)

Brian

I like this show more and more.  Two P4 layouts, four EM and one 3mm amounts to sheer luxury!

Another show, another Shillito.  Ballyconnell Road is 3mm finescale depicting County Sligo in 1955.  It is circular and charming and refreshingly different.  Malix and Lenz is one of the better Rhaetian layouts on the circuit and scores for originality with the fiddle yard in the middle.  I liked the spiral viaduct which captures the real thing very well.  It's on the line from St Moritz to Tirano but I forget exactly where.  I was also quite taken by Dave Tailby's Canons Lane Scrapyard, a shunting puzzle in EM, and Blake Hall in OO, nicely capturing the former station on the Ongar branch.  The well-known Happisburgh Goods from the MRC [7mm] was missing an operator due to ill-health but the others were coping valiantly without him.  Arlingham [EM] was new to me.  It is set in East Anglia and by and large the stock reflects this very well but I was puzzled by the DMU, which closely resembled a Derby Lightweight but sported a two character headcode never carried by the prototype.

As a P4 practitioner I should comment on its two representatives.  Coldfair Green admirably captures rustic Suffolk in the days before systematic neglect set in.  Its buildings, especially the mill, are most attractive.  Sidmouth, by Richard Harper, is the product of extensive and thorough research supporting skill and craftsmanship.  I pass what is left of the prototype every day on my summer holiday so in a way it is familiar.  At the start of the show the layout had a brief bout of hiccups but seemed to be doing as it was told when I passed by later.  It will b much in demand for other shows.

Trade support was varied and well chosen, with considerably less emphasis on piles of junk.  Sorry, perhaps I meant "eclectic mix of pre-owned models".  No, I didn't.  It is unfortunate that Modellers Mate did not turn up.  I suspect that thereby hangs a tale.  My first port of call was the second-hand stall on the stage.  Good move, that: this stall at this show rarely disappoints.  Catering was cheap and cheerful, with tea a mere 60p a cup and served from a teapot!  The catering climate was conducive to putting the world to rights over a cuppa several times.  The third cup was accompanied by Horsetan and chocolate cake, the latter sadly off limits as I am Type 2 diabetic.  I met some RMwebbers, including Typhoon for the first time, and missed others despite sporting my name badge.  Oh well, that's show business.

Chris     

• RMweb Gold

This is just a quick note to say,  Thank you to all those that attended (and for those that didn't you missed a goodun).

It takes a lot for a small club like ours to put on a good show but we think we do a pretty good job. Dick and Alastair did a superb job with layout choice, and I always think it says so when people leave and I ask what was their favourite and they reply with at least 3, and they aren't always the same 3.

Catering is a job that all of the club take part in and the cake selection is a rigorous process, thanks go to partners and wives for their time in making these delicous comestibles and to the members that man the counter for the duration of the show.

As I'm on the door I get to meet all that come in, and yesterday I only managed to insult about a dozen, I gave senior tickets to half a dozen who were in their 50's (our cut off age is 65) and full tickets to some who were over 65 and in one case 74! although I still say he dyes his hair....It was lovely to meet you all and put faces to names and I hope to see you again.

Thanks to Tony and Mo Wright for coming, Tony was sat just a few feet away and all day was in conversation with visitors, we certainly enjoyed Tony's visit and look forward to seeing him soon.

Preparations are well in hand for next years show and we welcome anymore comments that visitors have........although any criticism of the Victoria sponge and Lady bacon will be round with weapons.

Dave.........Chris...............Dave

... delicous ....

Greek next year?

...As I'm on the door I get to meet all that come in, and yesterday I only managed to insult about a dozen, I gave senior tickets to half a dozen who were in their 50's (our cut off age is 65) and full tickets to some who were over 65 and in one case 74! although I still say he dyes his hair....It was lovely to meet you all and put faces to names and I hope to see you again.

Dave.........Chris...............Dave

You didn't say a thing when I cruised in with muddy wellies and smelling of horse. I didn't know whether to be pleased or insulted :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Greek next year?

You didn't say a thing when I cruised in with muddy wellies and smelling of horse. I didn't know whether to be pleased or insulted :jester:

Aaaah but did I try charging for the Horse....

Chris F was there into the afternoon so I thought about charging him twice.

Archived