'Compton Abbas'

georgeT

George, interesting to see what you intend.  A  well presented BLT does take a lot of beating

You seem to be attached to the current name 'Swinley' so why change it? But I would suggest it would seem more S&D if you prefixed it for example by Over, Upper or Lower, or a suffix like, North, S, E or W, or Gate, Road.

Hintock is generally known by that name, but to be correct it's with the suffix of either Redux or Magna.

George, interesting to see what you intend.  A  well presented BLT does take a lot of beating

You seem to be attached to the current name 'Swinley' so why change it? But I would suggest it would seem more S&D if you prefixed it for example by Over, Upper or Lower, or a suffix like, North, S, E or W, or Gate, Road.

Hintock is generally known by that name, but to be correct it's with the suffix of either Redux or Magna.

Hello John,  Thanks for the input, something to think abou, l got a lot of inspiration from 'Hintock' but need to settle on a decent track plan first ?

Morning Guys, Thanks for all the suggestions all very helpful, l am thinking of 'Swinley West' or 'Swinley Vale' but there's no rush at the moment, also it looks like l will have to build some new base boards as the old BS is very heavy and narrow and in one piece, so the new ones will be (x2) 3'6"x18" so giving 7' x 18" which will be easier to transport...

Sounds like a very sensible move mate.

l know l wanted to re-use the board from BS but its no good, too heavy and long as its in one piece, so its going to be new base boards, also l have found a location and name for the next project, it might be called 'Compton Abbas' and will be an imaginary branch line from Stalbridge, things may change yet hahahaha

post-7716-0-36976000-1452598194_thumb.jpg

I think Compton Abbas is better than Swinley, in fact its rather nice.

It just needs a back story now, maybe about how the area prospered with the Local Abbey and may be like Buckfast they produced a rather good wine that needed Transporting, or a Pottery again that needed Transport around the Country. 

I think Compton Abbas is better than Swinley, in fact its rather nice.

It just needs a back story now, maybe about how the area prospered with the Local Abbey and may be like Buckfast they produced a rather good wine that needed Transporting, or a Pottery again that needed Transport around the Country. 

'Compton Abbas' it is then, l will have to do some research as you say, and draw a track plan soon....

• RMweb Gold

Interesting: I looked up Compton Abbas on Google, and there's some interesting names associated with that area, including Blandford Forum, Blackmoor Vale, which I recognise as layouts or Model Railway clubs I've come across on RMWeb.

Sounds like there's a good source of railway modelling in the area.

Al.

Thanks for the input guys, l think the name fits to what l have in mind, as l have decided to model the area in the 50s and 60s,  so l can run a lot of different locos as long as the were in use sometime or somewhere in the south of England, so l am not going to tie myself down by being 100% correct, just have fun shunting a few wagons around with whatever loco l want hahahaha...

Archived