Hornby OTA Timber Wagons

Ragtag

Hi

I think that looks pretty good! as your description says, there looks a fair bit of work involved in getting the load to look right. I would say it probably wants a few more smaller diameter pieces, "chip" or chipwood as its known, is low-grade material so a few bent bits as well wouldn't hurt.

Looks good, though i can't think of a good way to mass produce it for a rake of wagons.

cheers

chris

Hi,

Does 8 wagons so far, having a break from them now, I didn't know that Knightwing did a wood load kit. maybe a chance to look at them to see if of any use, until then I'm chopping and sawing tiny bits of wood. 8 down 6 wagon loads to go.

mathew

Hi,

Done 8 wagons so far, having a break from them now, I didn't know that Knightwing did a wood load kit. maybe a chance to look at them to see if of any use, until then I'm chopping and sawing tiny bits of wood. 8 down 6 wagon loads to go.

mathew

(Note to self, ALWAYS check spelling before sending the post) :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone clarify what type these wagons are? In the model photos that people have posted it's not possible to see what type of underframe the models have. Are these VDA conversions or OCA? I missed the original announcement so not sure.

I'm sure Hornby have done their research but in 3 or 4 years of photographing OTAs at Crianlarich I never saw the combination of details that they've modelled (new-style red stanchions with angular ends). I've never seen the modern red stanchions except on a VDA conversion (identifiable by the curved top of the old van end, as in the prototype photos posted in this thread) - but I'm not saying this is wrong, I'm just surprised to see it that's all. It certainly doesn't seem to be a common type, at least not in Crianlarich... Tom Smith's 'British Railway Air Braked Stock Vol 2' seems to confirm my feeling too: the only wagons with the modern stanchions are the ex-VDAs. Admittedly, the most recent photos in the book are 2002. Quite prepared to admit I'm wrong - just asking for clarification, that's all.

Cheers.

Can anyone clarify what type these wagons are? In the model photos that people have posted it's not possible to see what type of underframe the models have. Are these VDA conversions or OCA? I missed the original announcement so not sure.

I'm sure Hornby have done their research but in 3 or 4 years of photographing OTAs at Crianlarich I never saw the combination of details that they've modelled (new-style red stanchions with angular ends). I've never seen the modern red stanchions except on a VDA conversion (identifiable by the curved top of the old van end, as in the prototype photos posted in this thread) - but I'm not saying this is wrong, I'm just surprised to see it that's all. It certainly doesn't seem to be a common type, at least not in Crianlarich... Tom Smith's 'British Railway Air Braked Stock Vol 2' seems to confirm my feeling too: the only wagons with the modern stanchions are the ex-VDAs. Admittedly, the most recent photos in the book are 2002. Quite prepared to admit I'm wrong - just asking for clarification, that's all.

Cheers.

HI All

I used to go to the yard at Perth when the conversions were on going and most seemed to be converted from VDA vans, I will look out some pics as there was even an experimental liveries with a gold top to the ends that never got out the yard.

Regards Arran

• RMweb Gold

These Hornby ones are definitely the ex-OCA chassis - there's no "fish-belly" deepening to the chassis. I did wonder about the stanchions as they seem wrong for the 1980s. Hornby's other version seems to have the narrower stachions in pictures, but the livery is all-over green/blue whereas I would like the Railfreight red body & black chassis.....

Bachmann are due to produce the ex-VDA version, which will be an interesting comparison!

Cheers.

I photographed three of them at Aberdeen in 2004 - the first is here http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/p643601341/e2b9fc2b Hornby seem to have copied this quite well - ex OCA high end and the framing representation is OK.

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

HI All

I hope this helps show the differences between the OCA and VDA types that EWS converted.

As far as i know the the EWS gold topped one I dont think ever left the yard.

Regards Arran

post-530-0-92863200-1304702985_thumb.jpg

post-530-0-08636000-1304703018_thumb.jpg

post-530-0-07634100-1304703058_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers.

Hi Daddyman,

Sorry - the impression you have is not correct.

Hornby have done a correct version of the OTA.

There was a good number of refurbed 'Angled End' OTA's that had the newer type stanchions.

At this point I would have pointed you to Paul Bartletts' Fotopic for reference, but...

I can't see them on his new site yet.

Then again - reloading the number of galleries and photos he had is a monster task!

No doubt they will appear soon enough.

Some numbers from observation...

If Mark Westmacott is watching this thead - he has photos if I remember correctly.

Thanks

ps - If you have photos at Crianlarich between 2001 and 2003 you should have some photos? I have some shots from 2002 that show as modelled.

Hi Daddyman,

There was a good number of refurbed 'Angled End' OTA's that had the newer type stanchions.

At this point I would have pointed you to Paul Bartletts' Fotopic for reference, but...

Then again - reloading the number of galleries and photos he had is a monster task!

If Mark Westmacott is watching this thead - he has photos if I remember correctly.

Thanks

ps - If you have photos at Crianlarich between 2001 and 2003 you should have some photos? I have some shots from 2002 that show as modelled.

Phil

As I posted earlier, there are three on my new site 110211; 110292; 110420 - one of the few wagon types I have photographed this century. Very easy to find using search for OTA. :P

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

Phil

As I posted earlier, there are three on my new site 110211; 110292; 110420 - one of the few wagon types I have photographed this century. Very easy to find using search for OTA. :P

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul,

Good to hear!

I must be going blind...

or just blanked them!

Thanks

ps - link now replaced in my links to - Paul Bartlett folder!

• RMweb Gold

HI All

I hope this helps show the differences between the OCA and VDA types that EWS converted.

As far as i know the the EWS gold topped one I dont think ever left the yard.

Regards Arran

Hi Arran,

Sometimes I could kick you....

You know when I was going on about 'Odd Liveried OTA's' on DEMU Forum?

Now you have provided the confirmation!

Thanks

ps - only 3 years late!

Hi Daddyman,

Thanks

Phil,

Just checked and the ones I have are the 200xxx series as in my earlier postings on here and the top one that Arran just put up.

I would say that nearly all I photo'd when I worked in Inverurie were the ex VDA with these stanchions. The Hornby one is correct but maybe not as common as the 112xxx series with the square section stanchions, which I think will be future Hornby ones.

For some reason I found more of the 112xxx type on the West Highland and the 200xxx in the North East. Whatever your location is will give you a different opinion of what is "right' and "wrong" with various releases.

Both types can still be seen on the satellite image of the siding off Mossend Yard, ( to the south east parallel to Holytown road) Next time I'm there I'll see whats about... maybe just a pile of rust now

Rgds

Mark

So is this one preserved at Bo'ness the type Hornby have modelled?

http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/10149.htm

Number 1103249?

Thought someone might have posted pictures of the actual model by now?

Cheers,

26power

In a word, yes 110349, although not in the list given earlier.

The comment from Mark Westmacott is interesting. It seems possible that, being rebuilt at different times and places, they were allocated to different pools. David Ratcliffe may be able to confirm.

Earlier Arran posted photos of the newly rebuilt wagons. It would be nice to know where and when they were taken, if possible.

Regards

Paul Bartlett

In a word, yes 110349, although not in the list given earlier.

The comment from Mark Westmacott is interesting. It seems possible that, being rebuilt at different times and places, they were allocated to different pools. David Ratcliffe may be able to confirm.

Earlier Arran posted photos of the newly rebuilt wagons. It would be nice to know where and when they were taken, if possible.

Regards

Paul Bartlett

HI Paul

The wagons that are just out the paint shop were at Muirton Yard at Perth, the loaded ones at Aberdeen, as for the date i dont know exactly as i only scanned the negs this year.

My slides have dates so i will look at them to see when it was.

Regards Arran

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone for clarification there. Glad that Paul B's wagon site is on its way back too after fotopic collapse.

Fair to say that the Hornby EWS model is a pretty rare type? The coming Bachmann one more common in my experience. However, I don't think Bachmann 'nailed' the chassis on the VDA (spring supports underfed, poor axlebox covers); I abandoned the one OTA conversion I attempted for these reasons. Not hopeful for their OTA....

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

I see that from various traders that 2 more versions of the OTA are out

R6469 and R6470

Looking at the livery of these it looks like these were painted in to this colour in 91/92 as I found a pic on Paul Bartlett's website

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p643601341/h2afbf6b#h4f205b9

I have found a pic on Ernie's Railway Archive below that shows a darker blue in 1986

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5742871094/in/set-72157626645865977

Can anyone confirm what liveries were applied to this wagons in 1986?

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

• RMweb Gold

Hello

I see that from various traders that 2 more versions of the OTA are out

R6469 and R6470

Looking at the livery of these it looks like these were painted in to this colour in 91/92 as I found a pic on Paul Bartlett's website

http://paulbartlett....afbf6b#h4f205b9

I have found a pic on Ernie's Railway Archive below that shows a darker blue in 1986

http://www.flickr.co...157626645865977

Can anyone confirm what liveries were applied to this wagons in 1986?

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Hi Ant,

See pm...

http://paulbartlett....afbf6b#h4f205b9

Ex OCA - Thames Board - Green - first seen August 1985. This one is a later repaint though.

http://www.flickr.co...157626645865977

Ex OCA - Thames Board - Blue - first seen March 1986

This photo looks like it was taken just after the wagons were rebuilt.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Hello Phil

Many thanks

It looks like I can go ahead and purchase some of Thames Board - Green versions, for use on Rannoch Junction which is set around 1986.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Hello All

I picked up 4 of the Thames Board - Green versions at DEMU Showcase on Saturday

The stanchions can be easily pulled out, or as in the case in one box one was already lose.

This give me choice to model some with the centre stanchion removed as in some photos.

Here is a pic

post-7053-0-59498800-1308078926_thumb.jpg

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Here's my attempt at loading an OTA:

OTAload.jpg

Logs are from shoots from the top of a Rowan tree that had not been pruned for a year or so. Been drying all winter while I waited for the wagons to arrive in local shops.

Cut to 32mm using garden secaturs, using a "standard log" for consistency.

Best way seem to be to glue 8 or so thick logs together to form a core. I used UHU, as wood glue didn't seem to ahdere to the bark. Allow to dry, then add another layer or two of thick logs.

When that is dry, add thinner logs along the sides and top of the core.

The loads slide out but a quite tightly held in place.

I did two wagons which turns out to be a lot of logs...

Ideally they should have webbing straps to secure the loads as seen in many of the photos refered to above, but wasn't confident I could secure the straps neatly to the scale fittings on the wagons.

Compared with some photos, the logs look a little too neat, but I'm quite pleased with the result.

• Like 1