Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

I wonder if my wife will miss any of hers...she has just been recounting to my sister in law how I broke one of her expensive glass files when unpacking at our holiday hotel some years ago....it worked she has never asked me to do the unpacking since...being at a holiday hotel would be nice though.

Hello John yes it’s nicely made hopefully will do it justice...as recommended xuron cutters ordered, en route.

best wishes Brian

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

More I’ll gotten gains according to my wife...dear what are you going to do with your retirement money? ....My reply ....from a safe distance “ Probably buy a lot of train stuff...the rest of the money, I will just waste..”

the Railway Mania Hudswell Clarke and Model master Thompson pacific nameplates great service from both companies 

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

12 minutes ago, 46256 said:

More I’ll gotten gains according to my wife...dear what are you going to do with your retirement money? ....My reply ....from a safe distance “ Probably buy a lot of train stuff...the rest of the money, I will just waste..”

the Railway Mania Hudswell Clarke and Model master Thompson pacific nameplates great service from both companies 

image.jpg

That's a neat take on George Best's famous quip, when asked where the money had gone following his bankruptcy "most of it went on booze and birds, the rest I just squandered". I'm sure Mrs. 46256 would prefer your choice!

The little Hudswell Clarke diesel shunter looks a very good moulding for the BR variant. I have a long term project building one of these in 7mm from the Mercian kit in brass and nickel silver. The problem with that is there were many variants of these, as a lot were built for industry, and the Mercian kit is just a general one which has engine room doors the wrong size for the BR version, plus some other issues. It stil looks like a BR HC shunter on first glance, but not on detailed scrutiny. Your moulding looks fine as far as I can remember.

I never saw the BR ones as they went before I was old enough to travel much, and my Dad didn't like going to Merseyside in any case because of the perceived crime risk. There are several apparently in preservation that were built for industry.

John.

• Like 2

Good afternoon John I’m no expert but there are a number of variants shown on the railway mania webpage. I hope I have the BR version...as you say all seem to have been around Mersey side Birkenhead in service. A slight glitch the Bachmann 03 bought for its chassis...the kit is designed for the latest version. The older one won’t fit. I have a later 03 which has given up its chassis rather than try and butcher the older split chassis one. The older chassis is fortunately a good runner . Picture shows new chassis being tried for fit in the HC.

9B032003-4A30-403A-89D0-B6C4F9C5494A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope you agree, a  pleasing portrait of the Hudswell Clarke shunter. I’ve had lull in completing my wife’s programme,  of retirement projects for me. I therefore took the opportunity to finish this model.

12D152EB-4480-4C1F-92B2-350E276B28C1.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Further pictures just found of my modelled station, love the peak in the snow. The sort of views I took for granted not least the previous track layout and East signal box. I loved that structure visited with the school 1968. 

E1E50D33-D9A9-4049-9462-39BA4BB789DF.jpeg

135952FF-1EBF-4847-B1CD-BF9065D56EB3.jpeg

2C237172-636A-4AED-B5F2-65A3BE83CC9E.jpeg

77BEDA0A-7DB6-4115-AABC-2321913B221A.jpeg

CA78891C-08DF-4A8A-B7A0-DF0D2DC9D13A.jpeg

DD12A4A1-F8D3-476E-A5B7-6C9C710EB8C0.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3

Why is it some matters can cause major debates on RM web and others don’t?

Hornby chassis manufactured about 2007... the failure of them.  Most apparent it would seem to the Royal Scot and RB Patriot....but not exclusively so it seems. 

One of my Scots has previously required a comet chassis due to the gear stack failing to mesh. It was the turn of my rebuilt Patriot a couple of days ago hauling my dia 307 and additional rake of coaches.  This phenomenon has been commented on in other threads....almost as if resigned to the fact that a major flaw is to be expected from time to time. I clearly do not run my locomotives that often but really don’t expect them to become static exhibits because of a manufacturing flaw.

Moan over ....John R ...already had the benefit of my views via a PM

From other threads the failure can be Mazak rot causing the retaining piece to loosen, more extreme examples can have complete chassis disintegration, and just for good measure the gears themselves can split. I havnt fully investigated the RB patriot...I have discovered why so many turn up on eBay with broken buffer beams. It was glued solid to the chassis...pity the retaining piece on top of the gears may not be so secure!

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The fact that replacement chassis blocks and retainers are/were available from Hornby tells you all you need to know. You're right though, why this didn't cause the same outcry as the Class 31 is a mystery. Maybe because it doesn't damage the bodies like the 31's but instead just leaves you with an unusable loco.

The design of the Scot/Patriot chassis block is quite poor. Apart from the motor/gear retainer, another shortcoming is the the mounting of the expansion link assemblies into slots in the block. At best they're an interference fit and are easily dislodged or become loose with catastrophic effects on the valve gear. The Black 5 from around the same period has the assembly screwed into recessed holes - a much more robust arrangement.

The buffer beam damage is usually caused through storage and shipping. When sold new, the loco  was mounted into the expanded polystyrene using removable L-shaped brackets screwed into the baseplate. No matter how much additional packing is placed around the loco, a rough shunt in storage or shipping causes it to shift forward and the buffers take the brunt of the shock. 

Edited by 5 C
Typos.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks for the reply Andy. I have investigated further. The design of the gear stack appears to be flawed. It is held in place it seems by the worm and retaining upper piece apparently bearing down on it. Most gearboxes I have encountered fix this first idler bearing / axle securely in side fitting bearings allowing a good mesh with the worm. I can achieve a good mesh  with the worm but then not with the main driving gear or vice versa. I have ordered from New Modellers shop a new retaining piece and chassis described as post 2017. This ties in it seems with a recognition earlier ones had problems. I intend to do a full transplant onto this new assembly when it arrives. I will report on how I get on ...or not

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

The new retaining piece and chassis block received from New Modellers shop...great service. I tried the simplest  method first, tried fitting the new retainer to old chassis block..no mesh. I then tried filing the old retainer hoping would sit better on chassis and bear down more on the idler axle...retainer promptly snapped. Old chassis stripped, I have a Hornby crank pin nut tool ...as stated by Andy the expansion link assembly just slid out so motion and cylinders in one piece. There is a further cradle under the motor not apparent on service sheet and therefore not bought as new. Fortunately the old one removed easily and added to new chassis block. Wires cut from dcc socket ready to start the rebuild. Centre driving wheel in place, gear stack added, new retainer...motor in cradle and hey presto all well....gears were examined and no cracks or wear on teeth..before adding to the new assembly....it meshes sweetly....why mesh in new chassis block etc but not in old? I clearly can’t answer that as no discernible difference.... but they do ....so far....driving wheels and motor running in before adding other wheels rods and motion...

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

One difference between old and new...tried to push wires from pickups on chassis bottom, up through hole in new chassis....wouldn’t let me realised the appropriate corresponding hole in new chassis hadn’t been opened up for some reason. Drill bit in dremel soon cured it. I did do it carefully however, given how easily the previous retaining top, had split when pressure applied through filing. I have commented to John R whilst confident I can get this chassis working again...long term the problem may reappear. If that does happen will go down the comet/  high level route. We will see...

• Like 2

New chassis has the wheels added, I have done away with dcc socket and wired direct to the pick ups. Chassis bottom screwed in place, bit of a faff to ensure pick ups placed behind wheels rather than their tendency to poke through spokes. Chassis now being run in before motion re added...It’s running well, certainly recommend the Hornby crank pin tool to loosen and tighten those items.

• Like 3

Finished work on the rebuilt Patriot...I havnt photographed it. All the photo would show ....what appears to b, a renumbered named Hornby model. The fact it’s got a new chassis block, retainer, and due to clumsiness by yours truly , new centre driving wheel. This was necessary by my  having sheared off a Hornby crank pin tightening the motion in place thus grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

To make up for lack of picture will post four photos just received from my friend Don Taggart... they are stunning

Here we are all taken from the Footbridge at East Junction. Don queried the 4F apparently wrong line. I think it’s reversed out of the sidings and is about to use the crossover on the slow lines before making its way back to Brum. I’ve seen photos of light engines and brake vans doing this manoeuvre, not a full train like this. In addition if any were needed for Eastern carriages on my layout

379E77C9-7B74-4C08-A502-FF332C17D47B.jpeg

C0BAF993-3713-499F-8678-9FBC32D65B1B.jpeg

5ECFB8BD-B321-4A21-9536-B852BE28DBD5.jpeg

D0505F3A-B940-41AB-9C30-8DAE53444811.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

I could be one of those urchins on the wall...trust me it was a long drop to the tracks...of course your invulnerable at that age...climbing over the side of the footbridge and shinning down the supports was another pursuit....madness...the East Jct signal men gave up shouting at us....

On 15/09/2021 at 10:58, 46256 said:

Here we are all taken from the Footbridge at East Junction. Don queried the 4F apparently wrong line. I think it’s reversed out of the sidings and is about to use the crossover on the slow lines before making its way back to Brum. I’ve seen photos of light engines and brake vans doing this manoeuvre, not a full train like this. In addition if any were needed for Eastern carriages on my layout

379E77C9-7B74-4C08-A502-FF332C17D47B.jpeg

C0BAF993-3713-499F-8678-9FBC32D65B1B.jpeg

5ECFB8BD-B321-4A21-9536-B852BE28DBD5.jpeg

D0505F3A-B940-41AB-9C30-8DAE53444811.jpeg

What a great set of pictures.

Interesting that the Gresley Brake in the first one doesn't appear to be lined. I'd have  said it might be something to do with the film used, but for the fact that the Thompson second vehicle shows the lining very clearly. It isn't the first time on RMweb that the apparent absence of lining has been noted on these coaches by the midish '60's, which I'd guess to be the time these were taken.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

On 03/09/2021 at 09:01, 46256 said:

dia 307 articulated set completed, and being run on layout

66E45D49-9632-47E9-AB9C-908966626B9C.jpeg

Hello. I’ve just found your thread and I think the Isinglass articulated set looks excellent.

I’m just finishing up an Isinglass D114 brake and, like you, glued on the roof last. Only, the gorilla superglue that I’ve to fix used to fix on the roof has clouded up all my glazing (I assume from the fumes, as none seems to have dripped down), leaving the final product a mess. Can I ask what glue you used? I don’t want to make the same mistake with the next one, and yours seems to have come out well! Many thanks.