Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Thanks John is this a preserved shot?

I’ve just looked it up, the loco is Nechells no 4.

Nechells near Saltley had a major electricity generating station, a contemporary of Hams Hall. It is a suburb of  Birmingham and some ten miles from Hams Hall

I don’t know if the two fleets of locomotives were swapped from time to time, not least giving me a reason to show light engine movements through Water Orton. I have been told that these locos were seen going through.

The Lining on no 4, is clearly yellow black, also pipes on buffer beam, one thing for certain my version will not be so ornately decorated. I think (hope) this is a spruce up by a preserved railway.

There are other differences not just livery between this loco and no 12 , talk about a  multi varied class !

How would you describe the green though I’m tending towards Southern malachite ?

The simplicity of the British Railways fleet is now appreciated.

Edited by 46256
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 46256 said:

Nechells near Saltley had a major electricity generating station, a contemporary of Hams Hall. It is a suburb of  Birmingham and some ten miles from Hams Hall

I don’t know if the two fleets of locomotives were swapped from time to time, not least giving me a reason to show light engine movements through Water Orton. I have been told that these locos were seen going through.

The Lining on no 4, is clearly yellow black, also pipes on buffer beam, one thing for certain my version will not be so ornately decorated. I think (hope) this is a spruce up by a preserved railway.

There are other differences not just livery between this loco and no 12 , talk about a  multi varied class !

How would you describe the green though I’m tending towards Southern malachite ?

The lining on the rusty ones on the previous page does look to be just as ornate if somewhat dirty and rusted.

• Thanks 1

Asterisk I think your right, albeit the picture is of I believe a preserved example,  they have copied the original CEA scheme. I now think what appears black white lining is faded yellow black. Now which mainline railway had yellow black lining?

I have just painted the model, plumping for a malachite green, not least it as the last spray can of that colour the model shop had. I fear the lining and lettering will be the daunting bit…

2 hours ago, 46256 said:

The picture to me of the spruced up loco appears to be at the GC at Loughborough, taken from the roadbridge that passes close to the front of the shed. It would be good to have confirmation.

John.

• Thanks 1

Here's a coincidence, I went from making the last post to looking at my Flickr site, and specifically the posts of those I follow.

What should appear but the following, albeit with a mis-spelling of Nechells, just put up this afternoon!

Click on the picture for the Flickr original.

slide-scans-April-16022--Neachells -power-station-tank-on-the-curve--Flickr

Note this was scanned back to front, and clicking on the picture will show a corrected version  - although a slightly different picture.

Edited by John Tomlinson
Note of mis-scanning
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Sincere thanks to all for assisting me on this matter. I have just been on Fox transfers webpage and LMS lining can be used. The lettering is another matter, fortunately they do a bespoke service so I will be sending them an enquiry concerning this. I know she is a simple 060, but does have a certain charm which I think will warrant the extra cost effort. Will photo in due course

• Like 2

Just noticed on the shot by John (T) of the loco working at Nechells…smokebox door opens on different side…the rural outlook is also a bit deceiving, within a couple of miles of this was Aston, Saltley MPDs …Saltley and Windsor St gasworks

,BRCW wagon works and lastly Met Cam where my Dad worked on the bus making side.

• Like 2

I don’t know if apparent the previous photo showed I hadn’t got the dome of the cab roof right, not to my eyes anyway. I’ve just removed it and added plastic strip to the front and rear filed to profile…roof replaced 

56778E4B-4EC0-4B1C-B6BF-C0E4BDAB14A1.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3

Finally doing some work on the Ex LMS artic set….made the very wise decision to purchase the comet underframe set for these coaches rather than attempt in plasticard. These coaches had central underframe trusses well captured by comet.

• Agree 1

On 19/02/2022 at 16:11, John Tomlinson said:

Here's a coincidence, I went from making the last post to looking at my Flickr site, and specifically the posts of those I follow.

What should appear but the following, albeit with a mis-spelling of Nechells, just put up this afternoon!

Click on the picture for the Flickr original.

slide-scans-April-16022--Neachells -power-station-tank-on-the-curve--Flickr

This shot was apparently scanned back to front, and should have the hinge on the nearside, I think it has now been corrected. If you click on it you'll see what I mean.

Another one from the same photographer.

slide-scans-April-16089-Neachells-Power-Station--Flickr

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of non BR locomotives travelling through Water Orton light engine. I met up with my old train spotting friends. Steve one of them, informed me he had seen the sentinel loco Barabel based at Bromford Bridge steel, go through. Image of Hornby loco.

In addition on 26 th August 1969 he noted a MOD RH loco no 435 also traverse the hallowed tracks. It seems that my roster will be further increased.

I have included a photo of the sister engine no 432

A1FD98C8-84BA-4235-BDC5-EA7F462FFFA4.png

9E3FDA54-DBF4-4CEC-846F-3F8A81F93399.jpeg

Edited by 46256

Good evening Barry , just edited my original post. Sorry for confusion, something I’m very good at

I believe the Heljan model of the 07 RH class is being released in the MOD livery later this year, allowing me to buy it, to replicate that loco movement through Water Orton.

The sentinel Barabel, as seen is already part of the Hornby range, as per image. The real loco was transferred to the Bromford bridge steel site,  for a while from other works. I have to confess whilst I like the RH loco , I’m not very keen on the Sentinel…apologies to those who do. One of my aims, is to have a representative of every type of locomotive known to have gone through Water Orton during the period 1950 to 1976, so will have to purchase at some time. I might warm to it, when I do have it on the roster. 

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

Some months ago I sought to recreate the train shown double headed through Bromsgrove by a pair of black fives in 1959. This led me to seeking information , and researching some of the coaches displayed. I’ve received information from a number of you and the project has progressed. Many thanks.

The first models constructed were the ex LNER artic set courtesy of isinglass models. ( This in turn led to interest in other articulated coaches hence the ex LMS vehicles, and another Ex LNER variant awaiting construction. )

The restaurant car in the formation, was identified by Andrew ( Headstock) and sides duly ordered from Mousa Models. In addition he advised me on how he constructs his models. I have followed his advice and the two brass sides are attached to ex Hornby roof and ends. The sides required some work to recreate recesses by the doors having been etched flat. I am pleased with the result. The roof requires quite a bit of work to represent these vehicles. I have just downloaded shots of various ex LNER restaurant cars from the Steve Banks site to assist. More soon.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hams Hall no 12 lined awaiting lettering. I have investigated commissioning a set…more expensive than the loco build. I then ordered lettering transfers….on arrival wrong font and size …..other than that perfect…ahem…new sheets ordered hopefully the right ones. Workplates courtesy of my friend John R …many thanks!

LMS artic set now with handrails and handles…dia 144 restaurant awaits lining glazing handrails etc…04358FEB-5785-4F59-ADF2-F511F9CC2C9B.jpeg.d8ce871238ae3cc22d39af8a6e8f0249.jpegB3CADF82-868E-4FED-B955-13C1D424486F.jpeg.e01005aa66428e440dfa3ff1d7cbcd9d.jpeg1F73200E-F5A7-44B8-A376-F2A86A6DEC4C.jpeg.345079543a41887cf385a97ab2e4a8a9.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The transfers have arrived for the RSH. Crikey it’s a tedious job applying 1 mm letters….Central Electricity Authority and no 12 ( in 2 mm) on one side. Midlands Division, and the other side of the loco to do . It’s worth it though, as I hope you will agree when done.

Don’t you just love when applying transfers , when you run out of a particular number, or in this case letter, whilst still having the rest of the sheet . The letter I in this case ( usually 4s being a predominantly Midland modeller) when numbering. 
A further sheet of 2 mm and 1 mm Franklin heavy letters ordered, to complete  the other side of the locomotive. The lining on the restaurant car will be quite therapeutic after this.

• Friendly/supportive 3