Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

• 2 weeks later...

Well returning to ongoing projects photographs of period one LMS 60 ft corridor, plus the Gresley dia 194 artic set….all need glazing and interiors plus brass handles to finish.

E879B201-BC9B-44F7-92CD-42A9DD050CDC.jpeg

98A30A2A-6CF7-42B8-9053-E392E81DC062.jpeg

• Like 5

Never really happy with my original attempt at modelling the Stationmasters house some twenty years ago. I a, now in possession of far better photographs. The new model taking shape

E292681E-F37B-447B-9AAA-7F5C0777D629.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

More on the layout content rather than stock…station masters house finished will photo, in meantime some more photos of the Minworth tramway circa 1970, supplied by one of my trainspotting friends. The arches the three diesels are parked under belong to the Midland Railway Sutton Park line. A look on a map will show the extent of the lagoons and therefore how big this system was. At its height it extended from the Sutton Park line, through Minworth over the Kingsbury Road. It then crossed the Minworth and Curdworth roads travelled through woods, under the Lichfield Road, under the Tame Bridge carrying the Fast lines to Derby, and ending up at the Coleshill works. One of the locos had the unofficial name Fireball XL5 stencilled on the cab apparently.

231731B1-9936-4254-81A4-379B68CC721D.jpeg

A15E0F65-B9B3-4560-96C1-BAA703861420.jpeg

A702BE40-B22F-48D7-8191-4596A1471BFD.jpeg

4C53EEC4-B236-4712-9559-A6A2D07DA674.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

That’s correct I’ve modelled one of them . The photos were shown previously but now lost. The photo below, shows it in preservation, the other photo my attempt at modelling it.

00C2E33B-354C-4EF5-94E8-90BD907F520A.jpeg

DBBB8194-13A4-4EDF-AD7A-9473C6CB2821.jpeg

• Like 4

On the subject of industrials I’ve tried to discover the make of the yellow diesel shunter at Hams Hall alongside the RSH tank. Can anyone assist?

I have discovered more interesting facts however an ex WD Armstrong Whitworth 060 jackshaft shunter was moved to Hams Hall in 1966. It was cut up on site there in 1967. A picture of the loco

161DEF3B-F516-4371-B87E-452F8478D125.jpeg

1632A6ED-F6D6-48D5-A791-F6ED3342B087.jpeg

D89BF1BA-478C-45D0-8BCE-B1DB93BAD888.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Barry O said:

A trip to the Judith Edge kit emporium will provide the jackshaft. Not sure about the YE.

Bas

This is one of the Armstrong Whitworth ones, Mercian used to do a kit, occasionally comes up on eBay.

Having said that I would rather do one of Mike’s ones.

Edited by Asterix2012

Thanks both, Mike has just replied that the yellow CEBGB locomotive is an English Electric 060 DHand he has no immediate plans to add it, or it’s 040 sister to his range. In respect of the jackshaft shunter, I had intended to try Mikes kit for the LMS variant 12032 onwards series. This was just as a modelling challenge rather than needing one for my Midlands based layout. The discovery of a near relative having been used locally, has now added to my desire to model one

Edited by 46256

26 minutes ago, 46256 said:

Thanks both, Mike has just replied that the yellow CEBGB locomotive is an English Electric 060 DE and he has no immediate plans to add it, or it’s 040 sister to his range. In respect of the jackshaft shunter, I had intended to try Mikes kit for the LMS variant 12032 onwards series. This was just as a modelling challenge rather than needing one for my Midlands based layout. The discovery of a near relative having been used locally, has now added to my desire to model one

You wouldn't be the only one to think about the Judith Edge exLMS jackshaft kit, just out of sheer curiousity.

I've only built one of these kits so far, that for the NER ES1 steeple cab electric as used in Newcastle down to the quayside. Definitely the best metal kit I've ever made, everything fitted perfectly, etched in sensibly strong brass and designed to bolt together in sub-components. A real joy, unlike other efforts I might name! It had no relevance at all to anything else I model, just a fascinating prototype.

John.

• Like 2

Hello John I really enjoyed building the Fell from Mikes range, initially fearing it would be beyond me. A combination of a very well designed kit,  and improving my skills, made it an enjoyable and successful project.

• Like 2

Returning to Hams Hall, I have failed to unearth details of the diesels on the Internet. There is a lot of information concerning the steam fleet not least on the Warwickshire Railways site. I then remembered I had bought many moons ago an edition of Railway Bylines which had an article on the system. A search of my mags and books revealed the copy Volume 4 issue 9 August 1999.A fantastic article by Adrian Booth is inside. It includes the list of every locomotive used on site attached. It also reveals why info on the diesels may be rarer, unlike some of their steam counterparts none were preserved. The diesels left in 1989 bringing to an end rail operation on the site which closed completely in 1992

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

A 1950/60 OS map  of Water Orton showing the location both of the Minworth and Hams Hall systems to the village A look at the present day map will show the havoc the M42/ Toll road and now Hs2 has bought to the area. The little hamlet of Gilson, bottom right hand corner, has been wiped from the earth!0BEAC607-3557-42EF-9BE5-273CF6AC13EA.jpeg.37e76310cba97b16d99d8d6e27c814e8.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Returning to my LMS 460 projects another Royal Scot nearing completion, Hornby body comet chassis but in this case a Portescap motor…

A number of jubilee projects. Mainline bodies are relatively cheap compared to the updated Bachmann versions. It does limit which locos can be modelled though as Mainline is the long firebox type. I want 45565 Victoria on my roster so a Bachmann has been renumbered and named. One of my current roster will  become 45572 Eire another Bachmann renumber. The donor loco is attached to a Fowler tender, this will be paired with the Mainline loco body which will become Achilles. Lastly I don’t tend to model locos that are preserved. I will though be adding 45699 Galatea a regular on the NE/SW line and features in a fantastic run in Terry Esserys book on firing at Saltley. Mainline body, comet chassis and high level gears and motor.

• Like 2

Slight mishap whilst fitting valve gear to the Scot. I had fitted a rivet too tightly between one of the eccentric rods and expansion link. The Scot was merrily being run in around the layout….then sudden stop. On examination the rod had snapped off. Cylinders and valve gear/ motion bracket removed. The rod / link removed from bracket. The rod repaired by soldering a new end at correct length using undamaged rod as a guide. New link added to rod and tested fully to see if rivet allows full movement. It does, so assembly again added to the bracket…onto loco and away. 

Edited by 46256

Hi Brian,

Good to see a few more 6’9”  4-6-0s

may I ask what you have done to weight and fine tune the ride height on your Scot?  I found the Hornby body on unmodified Comet frames (a) light and (b) cab and fall plate too high up

Best wishes,

Iain

• Like 1