Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

John R and I are in conversation on how to reproduce these RSH workhorses. The second photo shows a quick mock up I did yesterday using my ex Triang 3F tender loco to see if that type could be a possible donor. An Airfix 4f body has been ordered as well for comparison. On both the Belpaire firebox will have to go. The chimney on no 9 looks to me like those fitted to the 94xx panniers. Some of those were built at RSH so quite possible. In any event I am trying to make a passable representation of these locos, and if I can have promised John the first body to try one of his chassis under. We think either the Hornby peckett or Electrotren might be suitable having the correct wheel size.

4B8C3F9E-47B0-4B5E-8AA1-579633FDD4FC.jpeg

08A66DA1-D3CD-47B4-906B-7C8FE434C69B.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Brian. I'm not even remotely a GWR expert, but am not entirely confident that the RSH chimney, is the same as that fitted to 94xx locos. I think the latter is slightly slimmer , and it doesn't look as if Darlington-built  locos differed from any others in the series. Hopefully, others with better knowledge of GWR panniers will have a better idea or can suggest another match.

Edited by rowanj
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hello John yes the hunt for an appropriate chimney continues, I’ve sent the proprietor of 247 developments a photo of Hams Hall no 9 to see if any in his range will do.

In the meantime a 21 mm OD plastic pipe secured, perfect for the boiler. The cab front plate measured and produced.

In addition cab side opening done and beading added around the upper cut out. Just the other side to do will photo tomorrow. I’ve settled on the triang 3f for donor….having said that it will only be the smokebox and running plate, it provides.

Postie has just delivered what my wife describes as “ I’ll gotten gains” in this case romford wheels for my 93 xx loco chassis . In addition the first of my Hornby 3f loco bodies…another ordered, and finally two each 43 xx and 61 xx chimneys from 247 developments. To my mind the 43xx is most comparable to the required RSH one fitted. 

• Like 2

John sent me a photo of the variant he would like …just made new sides which have sloping side tanks and square cab cut outs and rear. Hams hall variant alongside. I have added a small beefing up segment to the 3f smokebox and has a 61 xx chimney on top boiler cut to length

C7AD2A49-6D85-4389-96A8-EECBC552342F.jpeg

43FDE7A5-FD34-499C-BD49-9B9ED7B1D1A3.jpeg

• Like 2

Slight rethink on which of the Hams Hall fleet to model This example is more straightforward with square cab cutouts and tender rear. Photos show just how big the power station was…went around it in a school trip about1972.. still remember the furnace (s). I have been working in the meantime on Johns NCB example more soon

DD31DD81-BD7C-470B-8CE6-1511C5BA97BD.jpeg

C07D8798-EBC5-4D6E-90FA-D1073A93ED0A.jpeg

• Like 2

Good  morning John , yes as described two from the  ex LMS side and two from ex GWR.
New Street was , and is aesthetically challenging certainly at rail level, but what a glorious station Snow Hill was. If only it could have been sympathetically upgraded as St Pancras has been. It is still great to have the line restored though. I can remember walking through the wasteland between Hockley and Snow Hill before the tracks were relaid . The tunnels at both ends were ,and are wondrous examples of engineering. The tunnel under the city centre had the bricked up entrance to the Bank of England…bullion trains used to unload there.There were also stables, horses were kept for shunting until the forties…the poor animals never seeing the light of day.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Work on NCB no 39 for my good friend John R. Steps, buffers and cab roof to be added before a quick spray of primer and despatch to the North East. Airfix 4f provided the basis of the conversion in the end. I have another donor body for my Hams Hall version.

AA0BEC81-B227-4A0B-8D6D-3F13EF4CF7D7.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks John, nicely finished off, great to see the video of it running on the email you sent. I must get stuck into making my Hams Hall version now. I’m finishing off the 43xx locomotive. I like you, have limited knowledge of ex GWR. The version I inadvertently bought, had a side window conversion. These locomotives were initially numbered in the 93xx series. My loco was numbered 7331 and lettered GWR. My research shows these locos were renumbered into the 73 xx series between 1956 and 1959, so the livery not appropriate. My example was based at Reading…I wanted a Taunton loco so new number plates for 7332 purchased…I know one number out. The loco has had a new comet chassis, Romford wheels, high level motor and the comet gearbox left over from the earlier black five. It runs extremely well. It has been given a later BR crest on tender, and remains in unlined green.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 46256 said:

Thanks John, nicely finished off, great to see the video of it running on the email you sent. I must get stuck into making my Hams Hall version now. I’m finishing off the 43xx locomotive. I like you, have limited knowledge of ex GWR. The version I inadvertently bought, had a side window conversion. These locomotives were initially numbered in the 93xx series. My loco was numbered 7331 and lettered GWR. My research shows these locos were renumbered into the 73 xx series between 1956 and 1959, so the livery not appropriate. My example was based at Reading…I wanted a Taunton loco so new number plates for 7332 purchased…I know one number out. The loco has had a new comet chassis, Romford wheels, high level motor and the comet gearbox left over from the earlier black five. It runs extremely well. It has been given a later BR crest on tender, and remains in unlined green.

These industrials are delightful.

"I like you, have limited knowledge of ex GWR". Doesn't really matter, some were a bit bigger than others, but they all basically look the same!!

John.

• Like 1

John 

you may think that but I couldn’t possibly comment

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

These industrials are delightful.

"I like you, have limited knowledge of ex GWR". Doesn't really matter, some were a bit bigger than others, but they all basically look the same!!

John.

• Funny 2

A view of NCB no 40 , at home on John’s layout Trainspotting at Little Benton. He has done a smashing job of weathering it, really brings out the character of these locomotives.
I have finished 7332 now, probably post a portrait just for record, albeit nothing remarkable. It did remind me of my EM days however, front crank pins kept fouling rear of crossheads. It was cured, by a trick gleaned from Mr Rice back in the day.

The top boss ,of front coupling rods removed, crankpin nut moved further down towards wheel…hey presto extra clearance. A further matter impeded running, I used older Romford wheels, the tyres fouled the rear of the cylinder valve chests …ever so slightly, but enough to impede running. Use of dremel removed the offending metal, on valve chests, again running transformed.

48BD5479-6689-473B-95E3-37FA054AC7A1.jpeg

• Like 3

Portrait of 7332 for the record also progress on my own version of RSH tank, Hams Hall no 12…comet J94 chassis, Hornby Peckett cylinders obtained via Peters Spares. The boiler and smokebox Airfix 4f and insert from Triang 3f to align the dome correctly.

07BEA4B6-0F3F-4710-BBE4-8F8FA43287C3.jpeg

F7CD15A9-32F4-41FE-B754-CEAD03539E38.jpeg

• Like 4

Hams Hall no 12 coming along, Comet J 94 chassis built and Hornby Peckett cylinders etc offered up to it. I’ve managed to source 14 mm wheels now added together with coupling rods. High level motor and comet gears in place. The body is coming along, 4f providing the smokebox, one side cut out. The experience with John’s example shows it really comes to life when detailing added. 

image.jpg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3

Hams Hall no 12 now ready for primer. I think the green livery is LNER Apple green lined out black and white…..the lettering is a further challenge. You may note rear bunker / cab tidied up by using thin brass cut to shape

007F6896-A240-4DF1-84F5-39C54742EDB9.jpeg

BD58C134-983A-4AE9-A2F8-3B0C36B5C93A.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

That's a great picture, Brian. I know old colour prints can be the devil, but that doesnt look much like LNER Green- some shade darker, like Olive Green may be more like it.

The model itself is coming on well.

Thanks John really can’t make my mind up…southern malachite…Darlington LNER apple green…? the trouble with photographs they can distort the hue. The other issue weathered colours as seen on the photographs. In any event can’t seem to locate spray colours of either, only jars. Then there is the matter regarding transfers, any suggestions will be welcome. The only alphabets seem to be available  by Fox, and even then will require careful application to get that curved Central Electricity authority….the black and white lining should be easier…should be..

Looking at the last picture mind, the main colour is West Midlands rust.!

Edited by 46256
  • Friendly/supportive 1