Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Hello Mark yes superglue clouded glazing, sadly an experience shared by me on many occasions. The glue predominately used on this kit is gorilla contact....like all contact adhesives I’ve used , you have to be careful, as it can continue to ooze out of the nozzle after application. The superglue I tend to use is the deluxe rocket max...again being very careful how applied especially near clear plastic. I have found it to have less tendency to cloud however. 

Edited by 46256
  • Thanks 1

Hello John a further selection of photos from the same source. The more usual combination of light engine and brake...I confess I only ever saw light engine movements...8 f and brake making their way to the slow line crossovers. The class 123 is at Barnt green on I believe the Cardiff to Derby service. These units were on this service for a short period. The std 4 is at Leicester Midland.

I met up with my rail enthusiast friends on Thursday and discussed the Water Orton selection trying to date them . We agreed it would be about 1962 possibly 63. We agreed they were all taken on the same day. The 4 f was a Saltley engine until 1964...the peak had a small yellow warning panel but incredibly dirty and careworn given it had been in service for a relatively short time. A testament to sharing steam facilities and the maximum use they were put to.

The std 4 whilst a great portrait in its own right,  what a superb study of the period two LMS carriage behind it.

6AA66EFE-CE92-42DB-A138-BD69863688BF.jpeg

F367A5BF-D748-44C7-91DE-FA2F34B411F0.jpeg

6A55D17D-BF84-4D7C-8E36-28AB9DF1834B.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, 46256 said:

Hello Mark yes superglue clouded glazing, sadly an experience shared by me on many occasions. The glue predominately used on this kit is gorilla contact....like all contact adhesives I’ve used , you have to be careful, as it can continue to ooze out of the nozzle after application. The superglue I tend to use is the deluxe rocket max...again being very careful how applied especially near clear plastic. I have found it to have less tendency to cloud however. 

Many thanks! Lesson learned - I suppose we all make mistakes. Thanks for the advice, I will try the rocket max. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My good friend Don Taggart has just sent these three views. Two  are certainly taken pre 1962 and from the rare vantage point of the Minworth Road  bridge looking towards the then Midland signal box. This was replaced in 62 hence the reason above. The Ivatt class 4 might well be on a Norwich train that used to run over the MGN line before its closure...Mike Mensing recorded the working also at Water Orton. The second is of a G2.... both picture sadly underexposed but still a rare archive. I think the better portrait of the Saltley class 5 is the commencement of the 4 40 pm Water Orton to Carlisle goods...all three photos are gold dust.

5FD9A055-81F1-4ABE-BC02-2F5B91A41A97.jpeg

69E3018F-9081-4B36-8C87-A788276B3BC5.jpeg

53371E1B-A4B3-4D65-9327-1C15EAA16C05.jpeg

• Like 1

Don has attempted to make one of the photos more distinct, just added for comparison. The coaching stock behind the Ivatt 4 look interesting . On a sad note examination of the G2 shot appears to show a fly tip in the field where the future shops were to be built. Anti social behaviour even then. The dominance of Hams Hall power station over the village skyline is clearly seen. I’ve tried to read the over painted legend on the Dog roof....something ?.Ales..

Further examination of the black five photo seems to confirm my view it’s the Carlisle run. The tender appears to be stacked as high as possible with coal. Terry Essery in his book Saltley fireman explained how the shed chose their best black five and the crew always sought to get that extra bit of coal into the tender. It was I believe the longest booked working for a fireman in the country. The three Berkeley screw fitted 9 fs were drafted in for the working...with mixed results as recorded in Terry’s book.

A4FA573F-5DCA-47E2-B8A1-0C0DDE67AB74.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

Under the Ansells logo Barry....any Brummie of a certain age knows Ansells, brewed then not far from the Villa ground . My.first pint was their mild in the Dog....I might have been a tad under eighteen....used to have to work out an appropriate birth date if questioned by an attentive bar person.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve not posted recently, but have been working on the layout. I have just completed a comet side, Bachmann, Thompson restaurant first. I have been in correspondence with Headstock ( Andrew) for his knowledge of coaching stock The Bromsgrove photo, revealed an Eastern restaurant vehicle further down the train. I had hoped it was a Thompson, hence the purchase. Andrew identified it as most likely a Gresley Dia 144. I had purchased the requisite bits for the Thompson so have completed . I love catering vehicles so another added to the collection hasn’t hurt. In the meantime I have ordered the etched sides for the Gresley from Mousa models. The website states that there is a min 28 day wait. I am still awaiting the Gresley artic sides, from them, which to be fair an enquiry  some weeks ago, informed me that the earliest, I could expect them was the middle of this month. In the interim, I am currently converting two Airfix LMS Staniers into the articulated set, again with Comet sides. These coaches had specially designed central truss under frames, so it’s an interesting build to say the least. All the cuts have been made and both ends sitting on a central bogie. It will be quite an addition to the fleet. Lastly for now have been improving the wiring....the dark arts of electrical connections, from my control panel to my point motors. It’s quite a mental challenge ensuring the correct wires are connected,  via my computer male/ female connectors. They are replacing my earlier creation, which worked but not pleasing to the eye.

• Like 7

Some more prototype photos via Don. I believe they date from August 68 when the yards closed and about April 69 when they were ripped up. Just noticed an interesting addition of the colour light signal by the signal gantry nearest the station bridge...

63F49257-7948-452C-A06A-BFB0BEAECD25.jpeg

5ABC04F8-4A00-403D-AC13-B17CBDB9CDEA.jpeg

A8D0988F-0FB1-4427-8C68-611BA811F1AD.jpeg

36DBE7CA-C243-4B9B-A070-6D28B20932C4.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Working on rewire of part of layout and relocating the UTMDA 009 to the correct side of the sidings area, losing one of the fiddle yard sidings to accommodate. In the meantime converted a Bachmann Thompson into a restaurant first. I had meant to photo however was visited last weekend by a friend of many years Eddie Ravenhall. He and I both lived in the village, are still part of a group of rail enthusiasts who keep in touch via the net, and some fifty years ago visited numerous depots around the country. He now lives in the Scottish Borders with his family so have rarely seen him over the ensuing fifty years. He was in the Midlands on business last weekend,and it was a pleasure to welcome him to view my layout. He was one of the people I had in mind when recreating the railway of my youth. I am glad to say it didn’t seem to disappoint, based on Eddie’s comments. He was most impressed by Bertha, and then the Fell whirring cranks and all. The visit was concluded with the obligatory peak....a class he knew well not least travelling in the engine compartment of a number of them from Derby to St Pancras when he worked for Derby research centre...his hearing still suffers! Ed is commencing a layout in a purpose built shed based on his current home by the East coast main line...it seemed appropriate for him to have the Thompson not least he will be modelling the era 1959/60 when they were in top flight use on that line.

On the subject of coaching stock correspondence with Headstock (Andrew) has resulted on identifying further coaches in the Bromsgrove photo. I have added missing straps holding the battery boxes on the dia 307, in place as per a photo he kindly supplied.In addition he assisted, in establishing the identity of another LNER set in use on a local,  when photoed at Castle Bromwich in 1963.

The catering coach in the Bromsgrove photo he has identified as a dia 144 Gresley...the further artic set a dia 194 Gresley. Both sets of etched sides were ordered some months ago and finally delivered by Mousa models. The donor vehicles await.

Last but not least part way through a conversion of Airfix Staniers into the LMS artic set using comet sides. I will start photographing some of these models. 

They say youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old, I havnt stopped the last few months, suddenly being “available “ for all manner of jobs for family and friends...wouldn’t have it any other way!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just prior to Ed’s visit had to make two alterations to the layout. When modelling a prototype the exact view you require isn’t available. You then plough on...only to have the photos emerge in time showing up an error.

I had located the signal on the up platform to Derby alongside the walkway too far away from the Minworth Road bridge. I had made the mistake of locating the semaphore where the current colour light signal now stands thinking the latter was a direct replacement. The latest photos from Don show the colour light was installed whilst the previous signal was still in situ. My signal now moved to correct position and resulting hole on platform repaired. The second error again highlighted by one of Dons photos. The location of the catch point by the East junction foot bridge. I had located mine on the station side which would have meant derailing a wagon into the bridge! The photo showed it was a little further under the bridge towards the jct so any errant wagon would have ended up in a space just before the Wall commenced. It was a cosmetic point so relatively easy to remove and replace...Ed would have spotted this given his railway background hence the urgency to complete the work prior to his arrival

Edited by 46256
  • Like 4

And I thought LMS coaches were a minefield , albeit have had the Jenkinson Essery book in my library for many years . Correspondence with Andrew has confirmed the dia144 variant I want to model has recessed doors , dosnt seem to be catered for in the etches  He has kindly made some suggestions on how it may be achieved more soon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I havnt had much modelling opportunities recently hence lack of posts. It has been a period however of collecting various bits and pieces for my ongoing modelling projects. I have succumbed and purchased the underframe assembly from Wizard for the LMS artic. In addition have a number of MJT parts from Dart castings for the Gresley coaches on the bench. A corner of the fiddle yard now being worked on to represent the Fertiliser factory visible behind Water Orton sidings box in the  vary rare photo by Dave Underwood. The UTMDA narrow gauge lines now installed on that correct side of the marshalling yards.

I couldn’t resist another purchase….I vowed never to have one resenting it as much as I did, for usurping my beloved Peaks and Mk 1 s…. A HST in original blue and grey circa 76, has joined the fleet. I am in the process of buying the appropriate mk 3 coaches. As ever care required Hornby originally introduced theirs some 3 meters too short…so have been careful to source  ex Lima . I have a ring field motor upgrade kit also, so not a cheap exercise. The reason…nostalgia of course they are now as much in the past as the Peaks on front line duties. I never liked the Beatles until they split…

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

The HST, ring field motor upgrade completed, basically removing the Ringfield innards and replacing with a CD motor. I have added extra weight and I’m happy with its improved pulling power. I’ve been comparing it with the Bachmann blue Pullman I have . I had set a time limit on my model of pre 1976. Memories of visits to Saltley depot in the early hours and befriending the staff there during the 1980s has already compromised that aim, with a class 58 and 56 on the roster. I can’t believe that depot is no more.

• Like 4

Power car running in…the Lima coaches will need new wheels the flanges not happy with code 75 rail. The power car still needs more weight…trial and error it will need to pull at least six coaches, ( I believe the real thing were nine car sets…not my previous area of expertise ) it’s struggling on one of my bends with four !

in any event the seventies have arrived at Water Orton…signal box would have been painted the fetching livery of black and white..and the nearest crossover moved nearer the Minworth Road bridge during the 1969 re signalling to Saltley power box .

image.jpg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on the haulage capabilities of the class 43 power car. I want a minimum seven car set on the layout. I have sourced a number of coaches via eBay.  The wheels have been replaced by sets available via Peters spares. The Lima axles were a bit thicker and shorter so the exact match is required, fortunately provided by that company. I was still having adhesion problems with power car and added weights were proving hit and miss. In frustration I purchased a new…not latest mind…Hornby chassis/ motor which I await delivery…not cheap. I state not the latest as have just watched the Hornby Model world programme and the Design work that has gone into the new version….and associated price tag. In any event order placed and paid for awaiting delivery. In the meantime still tinkering with the model…..Guess what it starts preforming brilliantly pulling the coaches with ease…..can’t cancel so a bit of alternative required.

• Like 1

Further to my last, in the loft last night looking at my locomotives for a suitable recipient for the ringfield upgrade should it become redundant as a result of the arrival of the newer chassis.

I have a number of Lima locomotives class 27 and 33 still with original motors. They are not bad runners, they would have been upgraded earlier if they were. The two BRCW types were seen around Birmingham in my modelled era….the 27 s were allocated to the Midland Lines before mass transfer to Scotland. The class 33s travelled up with the Fawley oil tankers to Bromford Bridge…very rarely venturing further East using the crossovers at Water Orton to return back to Saltley and servicing.

I then noticed I had a new Hornby motor and dummy bogie lying in my spares . I had tried to use it to upgrade my 10800 model some years ago…to no avail. It had lain , unused gathering dust…what if I cut the mounting pilar then attach it to the Lima chassis on my class 27. The cut made and now glued in place waiting 24 hours for full curing time. The Lima bogie sides may not fit as intended but have some ideas how to attach will photo. This still leaves the upgrade for the 33.

You May gather I’m easily distracted for the record still have the GBL black five, lms artic set, other LNER artic set, and a dia 144 Gresley restaurant all in various stages of assembly.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, 46256 said:

Further to my last, in the loft last night looking at my locomotives for a suitable recipient for the ringfield upgrade should it become redundant as a result of the arrival of the newer chassis.

I have a number of Lima locomotives class 27 and 33 still with original motors. They are not bad runners, they would have been upgraded earlier if they were. The two BRCW types were seen around Birmingham in my modelled era….the 27 s were allocated to the Midland Lines before mass transfer to Scotland. The class 33s travelled up with the Fawley oil tankers to Bromford Bridge…very rarely venturing further East using the crossovers at Water Orton to return back to Saltley and servicing.

I then noticed I had a new Hornby motor and dummy bogie lying in my spares . I had tried to use it to upgrade my 10800 model some years ago…to no avail. It had lain , unused gathering dust…what if I cut the mounting pilar then attach it to the Lima chassis on my class 27. The cut made and now glued in place waiting 24 hours for full curing time. The Lima bogie sides may not fit as intended but have some ideas how to attach will photo. This still leaves the upgrade for the 33.

You May gather I’m easily distracted for the record still have the GBL black five, lms artic set, other LNER artic set, and a dia 144 Gresley restaurant all in various stages of assembly.

Decisions, decisions!

FWIW I've a couple of double motored diesels from bygone times. One is a heavily reworked Hornby 29 with two Hornby motor bogies and Ultrascale wheels. This is dead easy as the Hornby chassis has the same fittings for powered and non-powered bogies.  The other is a Silver Fox resin bodied Falcon, fitted with etched grilles, and painted by me in the chestnut and lime green scheme - it has two Lima power bogies with Ultrascale wheels.

Both locos are extremely powerful, with lots of lead in the centre, but neither would be able to use DCC sound - they make enough racket as it is!

The other thought is that Lendons of Cardiff have several of the new style Hornby motor bogies available at very good prices, so doing an upgrade to a cherished earlier model doesn't cost much at all.

John.

• Informative/Useful 2

There are moments when every effort we make in this hobby is worth it….just experienced one…kneeling by the side of the layout effectively looking over the Minworth Road bridge towards the East jct signal box, footbridge and Dog inn at eye level. My newly completed seven coach HST speeds through on the fast to Derby…GT3 travels toward me with an eight coach maroon test train including the Ex LNER artic set….en route to Brum….bliss , the time portal afforded to us by our models…

Will try and video in due course and then prevail on my mate John R to place on here via his Facebook link

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2