Euston to Holyhead before the HST's - formation info wanted

class 81 - 85 were fairly regular performers on Holyhead - Euston and back in the mid 80's. Probably the very last "roarer" on a Euston - Holyhead was 85037 on the 2200 Euston - Holyhead on August 24th 1990. The up Irish Mail used to pass me most mornings around 0530am locally nr Leighton Buzzard, power varied but a Mk III sleeper on the back was regular till late 80's.

fascinating modelling challenge

NR

Hi Mike

Firstly thanks for the mention of the above.

The MA set details should be in the document

Oh no, mikeistan is backistan

I searched Holyhead and lots of results were returned, but only listed the main workings where formations were included

I then searched MA263 within my PDF program, but nothing was returned

At the time I did not have the time to search the entire document again

Oh no, mikeistan is backistan

I searched Holyhead and lots of results were returned, but only listed the main workings where formations were included

I then searched MA263 within my PDF program, but nothing was returned

At the time I did not have the time to search the entire document again

Hi

I am sorry to have offended you by using the wrong name- it certainly was not my intention. Clearly I have misread your username.

I use this same username on other forums without any problem, just seems to be here

On a slightly more serious note the combination of font and colour of the text/background results in your user name, on larger wide-screen monitor, looking like mikerr. Black on light blue is not used on traffic signs as many people find it harder to read.

I am sorry to have offended you by using the wrong name- it certainly was not my intention. Clearly I have misread your username.

Not at all, I find it hilarous that this appears so often

The main issue I have is when people reply several posts later and do not quote

It just looks so out of place and wonder who this Mike is!!

Would it help the OP if I copy and pasted the text from my document (I don't know what else to call it...) where it details the Holyhead trains? It is only those where the set concerned visited Euston but I do have the details for the other loco hauled trains (for 1986/87 timetable) along the rheilffordd arfordir Gogledd Cymru if you would like those too? Additionally the Loco-Hauled Travel books by platform 5 might be of interest for details of the loco diagrams. I have at my immediate disposal those for 1981-82 (still has class 40s), 1985-86 and 1988. Just let me know.

Finally a correction on my part regarding the formation of the set working MA277. I translated the POIS code from the Marshalling Book (AD2D) incorrectly. The correct formation for MA277 is 2 Mk2 aircon TSO (AD2D). Sorry. One thing this topic has done is give me some impetus to try and finish the work started all those years ago. I've done the London trains- now it is time to turn my attention to the internal LM trains (such as Bangor- Manchester, Manchester Piccadilly- New Street etc) and then the InterRegional trains (ie NE-SW, BNS- East Anglia, Newcastle- Liverpool etc).

How about this for a nice collection of rolling stock. It's dated 1986 but I'm sure I could allow this one as its an interesting formation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69947186@N08/8299281501/in/faves-76701905@N08/

What a great formation, typical of the less prestigious WCML trains during the transition to InterCity Livery. 

Not only are there two Mk 3a vehicles (Executive FO and Blue/Grey RFB) but of the seven blue/grey second class coaches, four are Mk 2F SO open seconds (the type that were downgraded from FO in 1985, but retained the lurid orange first class IC70 seats) - vehicles 6, 7, 8 and 10 behind the loco - with seven saloon windows rather than eight.

Was is just me, or do others agree that the Mk 2c TSOs (like the 5th coach in this rake) were the most filthy and neglected passenger coaches in regular use in the late 1980s? - never refurbished or even re-trimmed, never repainted out of Blue/Grey and relegated to the services which InterCity seemed keen to abandon, like the "Clansman".

Back to Euston-Holyheads; Friday 6 July 1990 sees 47456 in charge of a morning Euston-Holyhead train seen here from towards the rear of the train. As well as the locomotive number I noted that it was a 12-coach formation, but no vehicle numbers I'm afraid. 

post-6409-0-67607100-1453635101_thumb.jpg

post-6409-0-38075900-1453635269.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the catering vehicle (next coach ahead of the one out of which I've poked my head!) is a Mk 3a RFM, given the window layout when zoomed in, and the lack of cantrail gutter.

Later on the same day 47508 arrives at Llanfair PG (or Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch if you prefer) with an afternoon arrival from Euston, en-route to Holyhead. Was it standard for two BSOs to be marshalled so close together (vehicles 1 and 3)? And if so, what was the purpose of the second BSO? 

post-6409-0-27223100-1453635266_thumb.jpg

Hope these dodgy old pictures are of interest to some.

Cheers

Tom.

Was it standard for two BSO vehicles to be marshalled so close together (vehicles 1 and 3)? And if so, what was the purpose of the second BSO?

It might just have been a case of what have we got lying around in the sidings that is serviceable or perhaps they were substitutes for a MK1 BG?

• RMweb Premium

Was it standard for two BSO vehicles to be marshalled so close together (vehicles 1 and 3)? And if so, what was the purpose of the second BSO? 

Cheers

Tom.

It might just have been a case of what have we got lying around in the sidings that is serviceable or perhaps they were substitutes for a MK1 BG?

Not really standard but not at all unknown.

Options:-

1.  What bennyboy said;

2.  Additional capacity over and above the normal rake for some reason - possibly significant holiday or Irish boat traffic

3.  A means of moving the two leading vehicles from A to B without needing a short-formation e.c.s. trip

While the WCML formations normally had the brakes at or very close to each end of the formation in other areas two brakes back to back was the norm.  Waterloo - Exeter services for example ran with what amounted to two half-sets with the brakes paired van-to-van in the middle of a nine-coach set.  The purpose of that was agreed local working arrangements related to some short platforms.  In the highlands of Scotland it was quite normal to find a BG van in the middle of a short rake with one or two seated coaches either side.  On two occasions I noted not one but two BGs in the middle of Far North workings possibly with one for each on the (then) two portions beyond Georgemas Junction.  

Archived