• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, drduncan said:

Why not? It’s not difficult.  It would make researching models much easier and just think of the problems it would cause those with more options than facts to back them up.  No more forum frothing!

D

I do from time to time find myself asking posters to back up their assertions with evidence. I hope I usually manage to come over as being simply inquisitive rather than inquisitorial. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I agree this is the correct approach and my experience is that those with knowledge are often keen to share it (getting them to stop is another problem if in person).

That said I’ve met some that do make you wonder...I was asked to supply some drawings in exchange for a kit of bits from the resulting project.  Still waiting and no response to emails...

But it won’t stop me sharing what I know.  (Some people may wish I would - history can be quite off putting and inconvenient.)

Still, maybe Andy Y should add a footnote button to go with the other options when you post something!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, drduncan said:

I agree this is the correct approach and my experience is that those with knowledge are often keen to share it (getting them to stop is another problem if in person).

That said I’ve met some that do make you wonder...I was asked to supply some drawings in exchange for a kit of bits from the resulting project.  Still waiting and no response to emails...

But it won’t stop me sharing what I know.  (Some people may wish I would - history can be quite off putting and inconvenient.)

Still, maybe Andy Y should add a footnote button to go with the other options when you post something!

My thoughts exactly. My own modelling knowledge is limited at best but it is the imperative in my mind that people in this hobby should help one another.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, Jim15B said:

My children wanted to watch a film this evening. They could have had any one they wanted - they chose "The Railway Children", entirely of their own volition.

I am sure they will sit ans watch attentively

JA RC 03.jpg

• Funny 2

17 minutes ago, Jim15B said:

My children wanted to watch a film this evening. They could have had any one they wanted - they chose "The Railway Children", entirely of their own volition.

What well trained children you have!

14 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

JA RC 03.jpg

Sally nudges Jenny "where's the ciggies" she hisses...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

JA RC 03.jpg

Amazingly in this world of fast paced action and CGI they have. I'm supposed to be studying for professional exams, but I've sat and watched attentively too.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2019 at 12:14, TurboSnail said:

With regards to the Science Museum drawings, I found a few possible candidates, but there was no single one that matched the information I had perfectly, hence why the model is 'representative' rather than being of a specific prototype. Well, that and the change from 5ft 3in gauge to OO.

Just wondering what the wheelbase is on that loco please?  I'm working on a 2-2-2t of my own and may have test prints ready by next week, it would be dead handy if they shared a common chassis 

Edit: there has been a good deal more progress since this picture was taken but it serves to give an idea 

IMG_20190219_195443.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

more likely wheres the Gin ?

Nick

I'd heard that Sally would be found around a corner between shots having a quick drag.  Gin on set would be...  problematic...

Personally, I would have selected The Titfield Thunderbolt as a film-viewing option!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Killian keane said:

Just wondering what the wheelbase is on that loco please?  I'm working on a 2-2-2t of my own and may have test prints ready by next week, it would be dead handy if they shared a common chassis 

Edit: there has been a good deal more progress since this picture was taken but it serves to give an idea 

My chassis has 14mm and 20mm wheels, and the wheelbase is 22.5mm (front) + 23.5mm (rear).

If I may voice a concern, looking at that model, is there enough space to add lots of weight inside? That was an issue with my Neilson, and I had the additional saddle tank space to play with.

35 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

My chassis has 14mm and 20mm wheels, and the wheelbase is 22.5mm (front) + 23.5mm (rear).

If I may voice a concern, looking at that model, is there enough space to add lots of weight inside? That was an issue with my Neilson, and I had the additional saddle tank space to play with.

Its hollowed out so the wall thickness couldn't be any less than it is without being unprintable, my wheelbase is longer at 6'6" + 7'

• Like 1

On 15/02/2019 at 12:17, Edwardian said:

Play up and play the game!

Schools, r/Rugby, and foul behaviour all seem to coalesce into one image .... 

Royal Flash 1.jpg

For anyone planning a fine-scale 100% accurate no compromise bounder and cad, here is your prototype information !

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'd heard that Sally would be found around a corner between shots having a quick drag.  Gin on set would be...  problematic...

Personally, I would have selected The Titfield Thunderbolt as a film-viewing option!

I'll try them with that next time - I don't think they've seen it before (and I haven't for years). Girls at 8 and 13 are a surprisingly easy crowd to please.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Dear me - a cessation of traffic on the WNR?

Has the General Manager been seduced by south-of-the-river schemes? (He wouldn't be the only one... now where are the biscuits?)

Other distractions .....

One such, the re-arranging the office (part-way through so a tip and nothing can be found) in order to accommodate Absurdly Large Display Cabinet.

The cabinet needs a base and some legs.  This is also part-way through.  My wood-butchery skills are so rudimentary that I find I need a long psychological run-up, much as I did with track construction.  Thus far I have achieved a kit of parts. 

Another distraction was the realisation that I could also mount a test track on the wall behind my desk.  Then I thought that it would look better if I scenified it.  Then I noticed that the room had more walls and only one door and window ....  A small, and compact (therefore most unlike CA), branch terminus ought to be possible in due course. I'm thinking of the scenery and buildings of my locality here and of following the practice of my local railway, the Darlington & Barnard Castle Railway.  The line and the place it serves will be fictitious, but the D&BCR was a real railway, opened in 1856.  This makes it a near contemporary to the WNR, so will afford an interesting comparison.  This time, though, I will have real infrastructure and stock etc to follow, compiling my fictional terminus from the practice of the D&BCR - S&DR - NER (Central Division). 

This could be seriously distracting.

So, discipline is called for.  Once the Giganto-Cabinet is installed and the office recreated around it, I will:

- Tackle WNR's 1880s-1890s standard open merchandise wagon fleet;

- Commence work on the WN's locomotives, including the planning of transfers.  Unfortunately I lost all the works plates for the fleet that I had commissioned from Narrow Planet, an expensive Senior Moment that was rather dispiriting, but I shall order some more (the artwork's done) and add some for the locos planned since then, like Turbosnail's Neilson single and the Not-Quite-An-Ilfracombe-Goods Beyer.    

Once this part of the goods stick is complete and I feel that progress is being made on the locos, I shall take coach planning properly in hand. 

Somewhere in all this must be Barnstaple ticking over.  Things are getting out of hand.  I am also seriously behind in my reading; the Volunteer Rifle Movement, the Beattie Classes, the First Sikh War and the Stainmore Line are all demanding attention!

I will leave you with this ...

JA Snowdon.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Other distractions .....

This could be seriously distracting.

I will leave you with this ...

JA Snowdon.jpg

And you think that WON'T be distracting???

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

I can identify with the paralysis caused by distraction.

Recently, I’ve had probably more theoretically ‘spare’ time than ever before, but it all comes in ‘penny packets’, or when I’ve reached the point in the day when there’s no energy left, which when added to a terrible tendency to dream-up new mini-projects, instead of finishing the many already started, results in no measurable progress at all.

Trying to become a ‘completed/finisher’ after a lifetime of being a person who likes the start of projects, and getting derailed projects re-started, doesn’t come easy!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

I hit a fairly noticeable phase of "can't be bothered" after my saw accident with my hand. Modelling stopped completely for the remainder of November and pretty much until mid-January. Regrettably my distracted mind took me back on Evil Bay and I bought more loco and wagons kits that I really cannot justify. When in a funk some use retail therapy to buy shoes or hats or handbags; in my case its rolling stock. I just sold off a bunch of wagons that are out of geographic location I'd bought early last year "because they were pretty colours". Damn these nice RTR offerings!

The start of the baseboard frames got my mojo running once again and I've finished a couple of wagon repaints I'd halted in the middle of. I am away in France this weekend but on my return I'll bung some pics up in my thread.

Edited by Martin S-C
EDIT: Useless spelling
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Trying to become a ‘completed/finisher’ after a lifetime of being a person who likes the start of projects, and getting derailed projects re-started, doesn’t come easy!

Quite so. As a result of a random gift, I find myself starting a small fleet of Brighton wagons for which I have no possible justification, while many a D299 calls out for my attention.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Quite so. As a result of a random gift, I find myself starting a small fleet of Brighton wagons for which I have no possible justification, while many a D299 calls out for my attention.

But there's only ONE D299....

D299.jpg.9b611e500881fda813bd5182ed69de98.jpg

though its more pre-historic than pre-grouping...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I assume that Edwardian is intending to live at least another hundred years.

If he is anything like me, that "quicky" project intended to take three months takes five years while the long term project languishes gathering dust - thought somehow a few extra wagons seem to appear along the way whether I really need them or not.

Plus now the distraction of building 7 mm wagons for the new club layout, first in the paintshop.

But it is after all a hobby, so does it matter?

However, I am glad that Edwardian is alive even if not kicking very hard, as like others I was getting a little concerned.

Now can I justify a visit from a West Norfolk Railway wagon in South Wales?

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1