• RMweb Premium

It's in Banwell. Corner of West Street (A371) and Church St. Must have been a quiet day!https://goo.gl/maps/uxQQHh7XTiF2

It's so quiet since they closed RAF Locking 2 miles away, where there used to be a Model Railway club. Now how do I know that :)
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Banwell was stil pretty busy when the Locking was only a shadow of its former self there used to be a lot of local traffic out to the A38 or down to Cheddar etc. an the A371 perhaps everyone got fed up with the delays through Banwell and found other routes. 

Don

• RMweb Premium

Nifty station, too, when twinned with Sandford:attachicon.gif032DD027-5094-423F-BD93-5287A028DE15.jpeg

An interesting story about Sandford & Banwell in Steaming through the Cheddar Valley by Derek Phillips

Approximately three years before the closure of the Cheddar Valley line, three loaded wagons of ballast ran away from the quarry, down through the good shed and smashed the lamp hut on the platform. Under the original deeds of the line with the Bishopric of Bath and Wells, the lamp hut was completely rebuilt to the original 1860s plans, including the intricate bargeboards, roof ends and finials.

The lamp hut is substantial masonry structure in the same style as the rest of the station.

I would love this to be true, but I have never seen any corroboration of that story. I know Richard Harman, author of the Lightmoor history of the Cheddar Valley, and he says he has never heard of it.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Did you know John Charman while he was there?

It's not a name I recognise, but there were several thousand there most of the  time.

I was there 1976- early 1978,

late 1978 to early 1979,

Early 1986.

(I also have a very bad memory for names which is embarrasing as everyone rmembers my odd name..)

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Yes but I assume that the reference is to THE John Charman of Charford fame, one of the layouts (and modelling philosophies) which had a big effect on my own approach. And, vide Traeth Mawr and other layouts, had through workings to another layout.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's not a name I recognise, but there were several thousand there most of the  time.

I was there 1976- early 1978,

late 1978 to early 1979,

Early 1986.

(I also have a very bad memory for names which is embarrasing as everyone rmembers my odd name..)

Yes but I assume that the reference is to THE John Charman of Charford fame, one of the layouts (and modelling philosophies) which had a big effect on my own approach. And, vide Traeth Mawr and other layouts, had through workings to another layout.

Jonathan

From those dates, I suspect that TheQ served at RAF Locking many years after John Charman. I agree regarding the inspirational nature of Charford - not least in operating to a timetable.

A 'Johnny Come (Again) Lately' to this model railway business. these references to the decades I've overflown mean nothing.

My helpmate Google has found this John Chairman and Charmouth  - which appears to be somewhere south of Ahrons but perhaps at a higher altitude (per ardua...)

I've always enjoyed the caravan based layouts in RMweb and the like.
Are there railway based lased layouts e.g. one in a Queen Mary or a Toad?

It would remind me of Camp Coffee graphics - if you look carefully at the label there is a tiny bottle of Camp Coffee on the tray - on which there must be an even tinier bottle of....

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The very first copy of Railway Modeller I bought and read featured the first part of his article on timetable operation I was hooked on 'proper' railway modelling from then on. 

Don

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A 'Johnny Come (Again) Lately' to this model railway business. these references to the decades I've overflown mean nothing.

My helpmate Google has found this John Chairman and Charmouth - which appears to be somewhere south of Ahrons but perhaps at a higher altitude (per ardua...)

I've always enjoyed the caravan based layouts in RMweb and the like.

Are there railway based lased layouts e.g. one in a Queen Mary or a Toad?

It would remind me of Camp Coffee graphics - if you look carefully at the label there is a tiny bottle of Camp Coffee on the tray - on which there must be an even tinier bottle of....

dh

The Scottish railway preservation society have an O gauge layout in two Norwegian carriages.

http://www.srps.org.uk/railway/stations.htm

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

My helpmate Google has found this John Chairman and Charmouth  - which appears to be somewhere south of Ahrons but perhaps at a higher altitude (per ardua...)

dh

Thank you for that link, I very much enjoyed that trip down memory lane.

The Scottish railway preservation society have an O gauge layout in two Norwegian carriages.

http://www.srps.org.uk/railway/stations.htm

Funnily enough, this comment only showed up, for me at least, in this reply.  I shall now be able to follow your link!

I once saw a train

And I should say,

It was O Gauge

They showed me a coach

Isn't it good

Norwegian wood

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

The "invent your own extra bit of geography, build a layout based on it, and operate it to a timetable" school of railway modelling seems to have gone a bit out of fashion (hopefully not in West Norfolk) since the "Rice-Cameo and photo-realism" school went into the ascendant, but the redoubtable Mr John Flann of Hintock has a good article about that sort of thing in RM for January, which should remind everyone of its virtues.

And, the camp coffee thing has made me remember how I used to be fascinated by a book-jacket illustration of that kind when I was small. Perhaps I will include a 1:43 model of my layout, in a house on the layout, and in a house on that layout a 1:1849 scale model of the layout, and ......actually, perhaps not.

• Like 3

And, the camp coffee thing has made me remember how I used to be fascinated by a book-jacket illustration of that kind when I was small. Perhaps I will include a 1:43 model of my layout, in a house on the layout, and in a house on that layout a 1:1849 scale model of the layout, and ......actually, perhaps not.

There was a Blue Peter annual that had a photo on the front cover of the then presenters holding a photo of them holding a photo of them holding a photo ... of them holding a photo.

Found it! 21868236-182-640x879.jpg

Edited by Branwell
  • Like 5

There was a Blue Peter annual that had a photo on the front cover of the then presenters holding a photo of them holding a photo of them holding a photo ... of them holding a photo.

Found it! 21868236-182-640x879.jpg

I wonder what the other hands are doing?