58 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Thank you for the return to normality, JW. 

These are some phenomenal photos, mate. Good find. That German 6-2-2 is certainly interesting. 

Agreed! The caption says "listed it as a AA1 (2’a A 1 n2v)" so is that a 4-2-2-2? The mind boggles, is it a compound - do I see two sets of cylinders driving wheels of different diameters? (And here I was thinking that it was only the LNWR who came up with loopy driving wheel arrangements.)

27 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

And here I was thinking that it was only the LNWR who came up with loopy driving wheel arrangements.

Oh, it really wasn't. I've seen European locos which don't even fit into the Whyte notation system.
image.png.b6730b9cc5ad89221216870c8fe78f5c.png

(That image courtesy of the inimitable website of Douglas Self)

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Oh, it really wasn't. I've seen European locos which don't even fit into the Whyte notation system.

And with what looks like a tram-style rail brake after the leading driver?

Whacky!

• Agree 2

Whacky!

Whacky!

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

Agreed! The caption says "listed it as a AA1 (2’a A 1 n2v)" so is that a 4-2-2-2? The mind boggles, is it a compound - do I see two sets of cylinders driving wheels of different diameters? (And here I was thinking that it was only the LNWR who came up with loopy driving wheel arrangements.)

The drawback of the Whyte system is that it does not distinguish between driven and carrying wheels - so a Crampton stern-wheeler and a Webb Teutonic both come out as 2-2-2-0. Webb wasn't alone in experimenting with uncoupled driving wheels; Dugald Drummond experimented with the "double single" with his T7/E10 4-cylinder simple 4-2-2-0s; here the objective was to have a large grate area (long firebox) without long coupling rods: 

LSWR_T7_4-2-2-0.jpg.13b78b2e0cca24a0ce3cbc58faa2e99a.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

It’s a wiper puck-up. They used 2-rail electrification to power a feed water heater.

• Funny 3

May I just squeeze in appreciation of an OT but most enjoyably SE&CR story featuring: 

• a £250,000 1709  Baroque violin,
  • a long days night  in Abbey Studios, 
  • a late evening Penge East. Beckenham Junction to Orpington service,,
  • a 1990s fly fishing trip to the Outer Hebrides,
  • a long lasting friendship between a Scotland Yard detective and a first class violinist
  • long retired, the detective decides on this last {and most personally satisfying of all) clandestine case
  • in cahoots with a hidden lot of Railway Police for a tense lying-in-wait set piece showdown ...
  • ... played out to smiles and a finale of 'Amazing Grace'!

Conan Doyle and even Theopholus O'Doolite himself, me-thinks, are out-fiddled by this realistic contemporary narrative.

:)

dh

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, runs as required said:

May I just squeeze in appreciation of an OT but most enjoyably SE&CR story featuring: 

• a long lasting friendship between a Scotland Yard detective and a first class violinist
  • long retired, the detective decides on this last {and most personally satisfying of all) clandestine case
  • in cahoots with a hidden lot of Railway Police for a tense lying-in-wait set piece showdown ...

Conan Doyle and even Theopholus O'Doolite himself, me-thinks, are out-fiddled by this realistic contemporary narrative.

dh

a slight  error should be a hard days night in abbey studios

meanwhile what is his lordship the mayor up to following the last loyal toast ?

Nick

9 hours ago, Regularity said:

It’s a wiper puck-up. They used 2-rail electrification to power a feed water heater.

I was going to suggest that, but I chickened out....

Anyhow, so thats where they got the idea for split-chassis model locos?

• Funny 2

9 hours ago, Regularity said:

Cor, there really is a prototype for everything, isn't there? I knew the Swiss did overhead electric kettles, but rail pick-up is a new one on me...

e_3-3_8521-8522_pantographe.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, runs as required said:

dh

You can't leave it there.  What's the title of this amazing story?

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

meanwhile what is his lordship the mayor up to following the last loyal toast ?

Nick

The test track has crept forward ever so slightly, so i'll try to do better over the coming weekend, but mainly I've been engaged in research (unpaid!) for a certain retail commissioner.  Hoping that things will start to develop in an interesting way, but we'll see.  

As a consequence I'm temporarily trained-out, would you believe it, and have turned to Marlborough's campaigns for solace. 

Fear not, I'm sure I will be back to my bumptiously rail-obsessed self soon! 

In the meantime ....

924920317_GWR2-4-0No1byCHamiltonEllis.jpg.e133da995453455ea4bcb8de702e12c7.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile, a not very funny thing happened on the way to the Forum.

If only I'd had some common sense ....

pompeii_body-e4dc6dd.jpg.7f3fc63583989b942f4146aca93ce87c.jpg

Senator Reesius Moggus apologies for the fact that the Plebs are too stupid to understand what he was really saying. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The test track has crept forward ever so slightly, so i'll try to do better over the coming weekend, but mainly I've been engaged in research (unpaid!) for a certain retail commissioner.  Hoping that things will start to develop in an interesting way, but we'll see.  

As a consequence I'm temporarily trained-out, would you believe it, and have turned to Marlborough's campaigns for solace. 

Fear not, I'm sure I will be back to my bumptiously rail-obsessed self soon! 

In the meantime ....

924920317_GWR2-4-0No1byCHamiltonEllis.jpg.e133da995453455ea4bcb8de702e12c7.jpg

A rusticated Metro, how lovely! Except...I hear these London engines have bought up all the shed roads and the locals can't get parked of a night. And they keep whining for a better grade of coal.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Senator Reesius Moggus apologies for the fact that the Plebs are too stupid to understand what he was really saying. 

I rather liked the description given by the Grauniad's sketch writer recently:

The idiot's thinking man.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

3 minutes ago, Regularity said:

I rather liked the description given by the Grauniad's sketch writer recently:

The idiot's thinking man.

It's a shame that further pain has been caused but also because, as a simple 'heartless gaff' story, it will gain more coverage than the potentially rather significant delay to the report on Russian interference, which appears to be being kept out of the public domain on pretty tenuous grounds just prior to an election campaign ...

I shall escape back to the War of Spanish Succession ... 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

It's a shame that further pain has been caused but also because, as a simple 'heartless gaff' story, it will gain more coverage than the potentially rather significant delay to the report on Russian interference, which appears to be being kept out of the public domain on pretty tenuous grounds just prior to an election campaign ...

Far be it for me to suggest a degree of orchestrated distraction going on there...

• Agree 3