6 minutes ago, Wellyboots said:

To put that volume of water in to everyday relatable units; that's 500,000 Litres or 1,056,686 pints!

Or, in sensible numbers, just a tad over 132,000 imperial gallons per second!  A slightly more comprehensible figure for the Edwardian world.

Our boat bilge pump was rated at double figures gallons per hour.   We'd need quite a few to cope with 475,508,700 gallons per hour....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

What is it in drunk Welshmen peeing into the river at Llanidloes?

I don't think there are enough Welshmen in the history of Wales, drunk or otherwise to generate that flow.  Anyway, where would they all stand to prevent them from peeing in each others boots?

• Funny 2

45 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's 500 cubic metres per second. These figures quoted in the press so often lack any context. Data from the National River Flow Archive is available for Bewdley. This shows an average flow rate of 62 m³/s, with the summer low averaging around 25 m³/s and winter high averaging around 110 m³/s. The peak flow recorded since 1921 was on 21 March 1947, estimated at a bit over 600 m³/s. Peak flows of over 500 m³/s have been recorded on five occasions since 1921, most recently in November 2000. 

Still a hell of a lot of water.

9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

What is it in drunk Welshmen peeing into the river at Llanidloes?

More to the point, why are you peeing into a river?

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

More to the point, why are you peeing into a river?

(a) Not me. (b) The Welshmen have in mind the English downstream. (c) I repeat my previous point that the conventional image of the other place does not depict it as particularly damp.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

That's 500 cubic metres per second. These figures quoted in the press so often lack any context. Data from the National River Flow Archive is available for Bewdley. This shows an average flow rate of 62 m³/s, with the summer low averaging around 25 m³/s and winter high averaging around 110 m³/s. The peak flow recorded since 1921 was on 21 March 1947, estimated at a bit over 600 m³/s. Peak flows of over 500 m³/s have been recorded on five occasions since 1921, most recently in November 2000. 

Like you, in order to visualise this I converted a tonne into a cubic metre.  It is then possible to think of a stack of 500.  The mental image fell apart when trying to visualise this amount passing by each second.  It is astonishing.

Thanks for the data.  It really helps put things into context.

I realise there are a number of rivers in the world where this is a small volume but this is the nearest river to me and I have walked the banks many times and eaten lunch by weirs which are currently several metres under water and several metres from the river's edge.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

What with the rise of populism and various even nastier 'isms', the climate emergency, the number of active rogue states, the chilling authoritarianism of the world's second biggest economy, extreme weather events providing trials by fire and water, and covid 19, one could be forgiven for thinking this was the End of Days.  

I don't know what you're worried about.  The US have put Vice President Pence in charge of managing the covid-19 response.  It's not like he doesn't understand science and that he's an evangelical christian who believes in the rapture.  Oh, hang on ...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, teaky said:

I realise there are a number of rivers in the world where this is a small volume but this is the nearest river to me and I have walked the banks many times and eaten lunch by weirs which are currently several metres under water and several metres from the river's edge.

I lived in Shrewsbury between the ages of two and seven, so it is a place of dim childhood memory reinforced by visits in adulthood. Ironbridge and Bridgnorth (for the Severn Valley Railway) remained popular days out in later childhood after we'd moved to Sutton Coldfield. 

Like many people, I've always liked the reassurance given by the repetition of things I already know - certainly as a toddler, being taken for an outing in the Quarry:

"Mummy, what's that thing over there?"

"What thing?"

"That thing"

"What thing do you mean?"

"That bandstand thing!"

image.png.18a6cc71687a3509f1b78ed760c166e1.png

Wikimedia commons.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Or several hundred lifetimes of beer consumption per second. 

Only if those beer drinkers are real lightweights. Seventy years at an average of one pint a day would be just over 41 lifetimes. No my hypothetical beer drinker did not start imbibing at birth, she only started drinking at the legal age, and due to her moderate rate of consumption lived until she was 88.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Going back to 1947, the last highest recorded flow, me and dad walked the three miles down to the Severn to see the floods, but we didn’t do anything to add to the flow, as there was a policeman there. There was Harry Rogers paddling round in his coracle, just along the Wharfage, where all the blue sheets are now. If he’d gone into the middle he wouldn’t have stopped until he hit Gloucester. A few years later they blew up some rocks further down towards Coalport “to relieve the pressure”, so you can bet this time is worse than ‘47.

http://www.coracleshed.org/the-rogers-family.html

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, teaky said:

I don't know what you're worried about.  The US have put Vice President Pence in charge of managing the covid-19 response.  It's not like he doesn't understand science and that he's an evangelical christian who believes in the rapture.  Oh, hang on ...

51 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

If he believes in that, surely that means he'll be leaving soon? 

Given those self-identifying as pending-ascendants, it's a consummation devoutly to be wished, so far as I'm concerned.  On the basis that I and everyone worth knowing will be left behind, I can hardly wait ...

rapture.jpg.af5d9997908b58854be34aaeab808759.jpg

Please be true, please be true .....

Meanwhile, though more fun than fundamental, you could take this trip ....

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Lawks. Just back from an XR Action to find discussion of terminal flooding and Edwardian advocating taking a "trip". What is the world coming to? Unfortunately those of us who think, think we know. Only one answer: complete insanity. Just bought a Jouef HO (steam) loco with a view to measuring it, then building one in 4mm instead. There. That's better.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, Edwardian said:

What with the rise of populism and various even nastier 'isms', the climate emergency, the number of active rogue states, the chilling authoritarianism of the world's second biggest economy, extreme weather events providing trials by fire and water, and covid 19, one could be forgiven for thinking this was the End of Days.  

It isn't.

My mother was a devout Seventh Day Adventist (after visits during around 1960 to our town by evangelists), and she she told me she was certain she would see the Second Coming

Alas you she died in 1996 at 75 years...   and had fervently wished on her hospital bed to 'go home'.

FWIW I refused to to go to her church after age 14yrs and was I assured that I would go to hell and she's go too, as she was responsible for me.   Teenage years ..    and all my 5 siblings either refused to go, then or after me...  oddly they all have honours degrees or doctorates, but I preferred not to be tied to that particular wheel.

It was still a great childhood. Who doesn't have issues with being a teenager, I do rather miss endless abundant energy though.

Has it been raining in England? I hear you are all in a state of English Panic over a virus which is about as bad as a common cold. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I think it just as insane not to stick with the Joeuf HO and enjoy it in an otherwise only very slightly lager built environment.I enjoy this thread best through half shut eyes regarding posts of the various elderly kit versions off eBay  of the same Kirtley 2-2-2

I’ve been on an absolutely brilliant day out today along the Roman Wall from home on the Military road from

Rochester to Greenhead then via the A69 overlooking sinister RAF Spadeadam (home of the aborted Bluestreak British dominance of space) to the M6; down to Penrith; to a pub lunch  rendezvous with my sister and friend on the south side of Pooley Bridge and then back home via Blind Jack’s Hartside Pass, Hexham and Wylam.

Competitive health banter is supposed usually to be the main topic but today it was all about floods and Ironbridge. They remembered I had lived on the Wharfage about 6 doors down from the Tontine pub in preparation for my Final year design thesis* and went to work each morning behind a Collet 0-6-0 + 3 GW coaches to Shrewsbury to work in Salop CC at the column.  Even  then (1959) the row of brick buildings regularly flooded and we just retreated upstairs.

The same was true of York when I taught at Kings Manor, the pubs along the river were rather proud of their flood marks. 

I think the solution for steep constricted valleys such as the Calder valley is to abandon the lower terraces as picturesque water-washed garden ruins. This can be seen at the Torrs in NewMills Derbyshire wher the Sett flows in to join the Goyt and also up here along the banks of the Tyne beside the High Level Bridge under the castle keep.

* I did really badly at this - the external said a museum of the industrial revolution could never be a viable project - especially built of cast iron :-(

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, runs as required said:

I think it just as insane not to stick with the Joeuf HO and enjoy it in an otherwise only very slightly lager built environment.

Yes, just that state of mild inebriation that enables one to appreciate something for what it should be, rather than what it is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1