Bacon and Eggs on the Shovel.

D854_Tiger

• RMweb Gold

Apparently this wasn't as common as TV documentaries would have you believe. Most ex steam men I've spoken to over the years have said if you were stuck somewhere near a shop or a yard pilot then they would sometimes do it. Others have said they would never do it ,as the shovel was used for other purposes when taken short!!

I suppose the reason for bacon and eggs is that both only take a few minutes to cook thoroughly, whereas sausages (pork ones anyway) would need rather longer.

Sausages can be easily (and cleanly) cooked on a suitably bare patch of backhead provided they're wrapped in tin foil.

• RMweb Gold

I've had bacon and eggs off a shovel on a preserved railways (they have toilets if you get court short) and they were bloody awful, egg had black bits in.

The blower has to be turned right down or the draft will suck it off the shovel. Hence smoke in the firebox

• RMweb Gold

I once knew an idiot on a preserved railway who cooked a salmon in the smokebox . I mentioned this to an ex steam man - ' a salmon, a fXXking salmon!!! If I had one o them back then I'd a sold it and doubled me wages!!'

• RMweb Gold

Many, many years ago I used to volunteer at a place called Hollycombe. One of the other volunteer's father was a butcher, and one Sunday he turned up with a whole beef fillet that he had, um, liberated from his father's shop.

We had that cooked on the shovel....that was rather nice.

Some of the crews at the Avon Valley Railway occasionally cook egg and bacon on the shovel. Properly done it is vey tasty, but it is down to the time you have to do the cooking without interuptions and a good hot clean hot fire.

I know at least one of our drivers has done a roast joint in the smokebox wrapped in foil. Very tender and tasty.

These days we have an excellent buffet run by Bridgette and her merry crew.

Gordon A

There's a story in the old book "Behind the Lines" (by C. Burton 1979. ISBN 0906160022) about a Goods Guard cooking his breakfast on the stove in his Brake Van whilst stabled at Hockley Goods Depot in Birmingham.

The Author described how the aroma of bacon & kidney was tormenting the Depot staff an hour before their morning break was due, but when the Guard started frying an onion as well... the shed Gaffer just gave up, & told everyone to go for breakfast. As he put it, he "couldn't wait any longer either"... :D

I was a trainee steam fireman on a preserved line for many years before moving away. I've had sausages, bacon and eggs cooked on a shovel and they were delicious. I once did a steak that way but (my own fault) I overcooked it.

One day we had half a dozen pies warming on top of a Belpaire firebox.

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

The Iron Maiden was on the Talking Pictures channel last night, featuring bacon and eggs cooked on the shovel on a Fowler Showman's engine. The actor Michael Craig had to climb up to the footplate while holding the shovel with four runny eggs in. The shot was edited so you didn't see the entire sequence. I wonder if he actually made it without spilling them.

Santa specials on the Severn Valley. 4 Toulousan sausages wrapped in foil with 2 small onions stuck on top of the manifold cook after about 1 run from KDR to AY. Jacket spuds are also cooked in the smokebox behind the steam pipe.

Despite what people say they are very nice. It is also a good party trick for the kids.

But as has been said above. There was a reason why there was a spare shovel on the footplate.....

• RMweb Gold

Best way to cook a whole salmon? Wrap it in foil and put it in the dishwasher, run a cycle!

And yup the blower can be lethal - Adrian Vaughan decribes a crews sausages going up the chimney at Farringdon in Signalmans Morning when the blower was inadvertently opened....

Phil

Best way to cook a whole salmon? Wrap it in foil and put it in the dishwasher, run a cycle!

And yup the blower can be lethal - Adrian Vaughan decribes a crews sausages going up the chimney at Farringdon in Signalmans Morning when the blower was inadvertently opened....

Phil

Whilst still a crew member on 'Le Shuttle', I was sent by the chef-de-train to see why a customer had opened his bonnet. When I arrived, he was removing a foil-wrapped package from on top of the exhaust manifold; this proved to be some salmon fillets which he'd put there when leaving his hotel near Reims that morning. They were perfectly cooked.. I had one or two cases where passengers had used the same means to warm their babies' bottles.

Someone mentioned Staffordshire oatcakes earlier; the original method of reheating these would have been in a kiln at the potbank. The less brown side to the outside, my resident Potter says.

Archived