DERBY The Roundhouse, 7th & 8th May 2016

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick note to Alex, Paul, and of course all the members of Mickleover Model Railway for yet another great exhibtion.

It's one thing getting a good venue and a mixed selection of layouts and traders to suit the majority.

I felt the catering was very good and good value for money ( a bar would be nice )

The one thing that stands out at Derby exhibitions is the proffesional approach, well organised and very friendly atmosphere of the whole event.

It would be nice to have a roundy roundy layout and I know the team are aware of that, the comments of all the layouts that attended has been most positive.

Well done to all

Eltel

Terry Robinson

• RMweb Premium

Can we please give car parks a rest.

Whatever event you organise the car parking is out of the control of the model railway club organising the event, as is the weather, travel issues and in the case of Derby & Wigan the football fixture list

Eltel

I had a thoroughly enjoyable visit on Saturday afternoon with my family & thought the range of traders & layouts was excellent even though we did seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time at the Thomas layout with my son who only the day before had announced that Thomas was for babies!

Due to a later start than planned we arrived just as the crowds were leaving the football match which did make getting in a bit slow so to find we could park right next to the venue for £2 was a massive result, no complaints at all. I'll certainly be returning next year. :-)

Apologies for not being able to respond sooner.  As the author of the original comment about car parking fees, I should say that I paid £5 to park in the Pay and Display across the road (at what I only established after leaving the car park was the side/rear of the venue), a location where all the signs had been covered by paper notices that appeared to present a temporary increase for this day on the usual fee, whatever that might be.  That is why at the time I regarded it as a rip-off (by somebody - quite possibly not the show organisers, as I said then and now know).  I chose it because it was right across the road (visually at least) to The Roundhouse, a venue I haven't visited before.  Other people I spoke to had the same experience, and felt the same way. It now appears other, cheaper parking explicitly for the Show was available somewhere else nearby - well all I can say is, such designated parking certainly wasn't clearly signposted as such near the venue  to anyone coming through Pride Park from the Nottingham direction along the roads I drove down; nor (I think) was it drawn attention to on the flyer map; nor was it prominently spelled-out in words in the flyer I used to guide me there that visitors should ignore any other nearby car parks that would be dearer  -  leading me to believe I was in the correct spot.

Lessons to be learned on both sides here, therefore.

As regards my other point, perhaps I should reiterate - I found nothing particularly "wrong" with any of the layouts, taken individually; indeed most of them were pretty good ... but ... there seemed to be so many that were near-identical in concept (irrespective of era or location, they were "one engine in steam shunting six wagons slowly around 3-4 sidings") that it all began to feel  a bit "samey" to watch them.  I appreciate the constraint of the shape of the venue, but (a) there was a big side room where it seemed some of the traders could have been rearranged to accommodate something longer, and (b] "something else" certainly doesn't have to be the size of (say) Leicester South to offer more by way of action and spectacle.

Just my two penn'orth anyway; I greatly appreciate the efforts of the organisers and wish them well for next year.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for responding and I'm sorry that the signs didn't direct you all the way to the venue - there were (I think) 15 signs around the Pride Park area (at each junction) and with hindsight one or two which specifically said 'Parking' would have been better. This will be done for next year (I can say that as I'm the one who puts the signs up and as a couple disappeared over the weekend, I need to get more made anyway!

We are having our full Club 'Debrief' meeting Friday when all of our members will have an opportunity to comment so there could be about 50 different opinions there about what's best but we do listen and learn - last year it was catering and several have noted an improvement so we'll do what we can to improve again.

Please keep your comments coming in.

As regards my other point, perhaps I should reiterate - I found nothing particularly "wrong" with any of the layouts, taken individually; indeed most of them were pretty good ... but ... there seemed to be so many that were near-identical in concept (irrespective of era or location, they were "one engine in steam shunting six wagons slowly around 3-4 sidings") that it all began to feel  a bit "samey" to watch them.  I appreciate the constraint of the shape of the venue, but (a) there was a big side room where it seemed some of the traders could have been rearranged to accommodate something longer, and (b] "something else" certainly doesn't have to be the size of (say) Leicester South to offer more by way of action and spectacle.

There are a number of observations one could make here.

There are as many different opinions as to what makes a suitable exhibition layout, as there are modellers.

There are many large 'tail-chasers' where the operation is as 'dull' as  small shunting planks - only on a larger scale.

There are many 'tail-chasers' where the quality of modelling does not match that of many shunting planks (agreed, there are others where it surpasses many shunting planks).

From experience, exhibition managers can, understandably, shy away from the larger 'tail chaser' or larger layouts that may not be 'tail chasers'.

Shows generally are staged by clubs and societies in order to boost their coffers, to add to the income from subscriptions (subs which for many clubs, just allows the club to stay afloat)

So, booking a layout that requires 9-12 operators, attendants, together with hotel accommodation, refreshments and the hire of a seven and half ton Ford Cargo (and fuel) - and which takes 2+ hours to erect, stock, test and the same length of time to dismantle again; can be viewed as impractical with any potential profit being eroded by booking such a layout, or two.

A parallel event nearby can deter some visitors, combined with some weekend engineering works and fine weather and your attendance dips noticeably.

As for the  additional room at Derby, I suspect it  may be unsuitable for a continuous run layout, being long and a bit too narrow, it can get a little crowded in busy periods and could preclude larger layouts, being better for long end to end exhibits.

I exhibited at Derby last year, and may well be there again next - and find it a first class show in an excellent venue; with a good cross section of layouts (i.e. by scale, gauge and 'nationality'). 

Brian R

PS

As for car parking charges, none of you can match the unwarranted £100 demand for parking I received in the post after last years show - so such complaints will gain only short shrift here !

Just to say many thanks to the team for a great weekend in an amazing setting. Must also say thanks to Tim and Paul who each came up to help for a day from deepest Kent.

I'm certain as the Club gets the measure of their new venue things will improve and develop to better cover some of the points already made.

Cheers

Stu - shunting plank owner :-)

As another shunting plank owner (Klinkerhofen - German O), Meg and I thoroughly enjoyed our weekend at the Show. Well organised as usual. Thanks to Alex and also to Paul and Peter for help with unloading and Matt and Terry for assistance with loading.

Hope the Show went well for the Club and that you'll be able to pass on our appreciation to all concerned including the jolly guys at the exhibitor catering.

Look forward to next year, possibly with a tailchaser layout!!

Well done to the Mickleover chaps for putting on another great show. Car parking at £2 was excellent and the catering was good with prompt service. I have to say the venue is definitely better than the Moorways centre. Pencilled in the dated for next year,

I was also charged £2 to park. I had read that it was supposed to be £1 so it was a surprise to be charged double. However £2 parking + £7 ticket = £9 total entry cost. That still represents good value for money.

There are a number of observations one could make here.

There are as many different opinions as to what makes a suitable exhibition layout, as there are modellers.

There are many large 'tail-chasers' where the operation is as 'dull' as  small shunting planks - only on a larger scale.

There are many 'tail-chasers' where the quality of modelling does not match that of many shunting planks (agreed, there are others where it surpasses many shunting planks).

From experience, exhibition managers can, understandably, shy away from the larger 'tail chaser' or larger layouts that may not be 'tail chasers'.

...  ...  ...

[sigh ...]

I entirely agree.  My point here was about the perceived lack of variety overall, not any lack of quality in individual exhibits.  Don't know how else I can say that ...

Seems to me that if you have to pay to park (because of the venue) and you can't get a big roundy or two in (because of the venue), then you need a better venue. Sorry.

Ed

Did you attend the show?

Seems to me that if you have to pay to park (because of the venue) and you can't get a big roundy or two in (because of the venue), then you need a better venue. Sorry.

Ed

Hi Ed, Did you attend the show in the Roundhouse as we were there all weekend and all my team thought re the layouts it was the Best Derby show for years, super venue and really nice blend of layouts, to all involved. WELL DONE!    As for £2.00 to park, I suggest you try getting somewhere in a town centre, next to a main line station any cheaper than that.  Charlie

• RMweb Gold

Ed

Three comments:

Parking for a few quid is a regular occurence in real life - I paid the best part of £50 on the train to travel from Bristol (over £70 if I had not broken the journey down but that's another issue) because it's a show worth visiting - I came because I rate the Derby showand it's a nice day out - Ian Allan ib Brum helps of course...

Every layout I saw was of high quality and had something moving and operators who were "spectator aware" (including families with children)  and "spectator friendly"- better than many shows with large roundy rounds where very little happens..... unlike some large regional shows I've visited recently...

The venue is spectacular.I had some gripes - there were some pinch points but this was a show put on by volunteers who are just regular modellers like the rest of us - I admire their enterprise.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Ed

There is nowhere else - and believe me we've tried. When the Assembly Rooms in the Market Place became too expensive, we started with a 'long list' of about 30 potential venues within about 15 miles including all the schools, college, university etc although at that time the Roundhouse was still undergoing its refurbishment and wasn't available. We ended up with only one left on the short list of suitable venues which was Moorways Sports Centre where we had five years until it was closed.  The closure of the Sports Centre was at about the same time as a fire at the Assembly Rooms and so we couldn't go back there, leaving The Roundhouse as the only available venue as we weren't prepared to compromise on space available and quality of the venue.

I know we shouldn't get caught up in politics on here but it made a refreshing change to be able to deal with professional event organisers at such an iconic venue. At the Assembly Rooms a new manager was determined to make his mark by increasing the charge by 10% every year, then there was a fire and it's now stood empty for two years with no prospect of ever reopening. The sports centre had a different manager every year we were there and had crazy ideas like providing a burger van for catering to the public as they couldn't be ar$ed to do anything themselves. Now that has closed and they have just recently closed both Moorways Pool and Queens Leisure Centre and Pool. How many other councils can close a major entertainment venue, a sports centre, a leisure centre and two swimming pools and still remain in power after the elections last week. . . . . . ?

I hope you appreciate some of the difficulties we have faced over the last few years but I am sorry that The Roundhouse does not meet your high standards.

There is nowhere else - and believe me we've tried. When the Assembly Rooms in the Market Place became too expensive, we started with a 'long list' of about 30 potential venues within about 15 miles including all the schools, college, university etc although at that time the Roundhouse was still undergoing its refurbishment and wasn't available. We ended up with only one left on the short list of suitable venues which was Moorways Sports Centre where we had five years until it was closed.  The closure of the Sports Centre was at about the same time as a fire at the Assembly Rooms and so we couldn't go back there, leaving The Roundhouse as the only available venue as we weren't prepared to compromise on space available and quality of the venue.

I know we shouldn't get caught up in politics on here but it made a refreshing change to be able to deal with professional event organisers at such an iconic venue. At the Assembly Rooms a new manager was determined to make his mark by increasing the charge by 10% every year, then there was a fire and it's now stood empty for two years with no prospect of ever reopening. The sports centre had a different manager every year we were there and had crazy ideas like providing a burger van for catering to the public as they couldn't be ar$ed to do anything themselves. Now that has closed and they have just recently closed both Moorways Pool and Queens Leisure Centre and Pool. How many other councils can close a major entertainment venue, a sports centre, a leisure centre and two swimming pools and still remain in power after the elections last week. . . . . . ?

I hope you appreciate some of the difficulties we have faced over the last few years but I am sorry that The Roundhouse does not meet your high standards.

There's no case to answer as far as I'm concerned Mike.

Totally agree with above post. No case to answer. The show was superb, venue great with some of last year's teething troubles ironed out. Layout selection was superb. I agree a bar would be good, but that the catering was much better this year. Did the gentleman attend the show? He has not answered that yet!

• RMweb Gold

There's no case to answer as far as I'm concerned Mike.

Isn't this what we do in our spare time - if we paid the "true" cost of visiting a model railway show with oodels (is that a word?)  of handbuilt exhibits they'd never happen...

• RMweb Premium

Ed

Can anybody suggest any? I know the Derby show has had to be a bit nomadic over the years but out of all the people saying that the venue is not suitable, there should hopefully be somebody on here able to point out where there is a better venue.

The chance to attend a model railway show in a venue with that much railway history far outweighs any disadvantages for me.

A very good point that was made earlier and which I hadn't considered before is that the vast majority of modellers don't have room for big tail chasers. I certainly don't. If I did have that much room, I would much prefer a layout with several smaller stations.

So having a show where pretty much all the layouts are the sort that most people could look at and think "I could do something like that" is probably more of a good thing than a bad one.

Thinking back to previous shows I have been to I struggle to recall interesting tailchasers. I would much prefer to see a variety of interesting smaller layouts than have the space taken by one less interesting to study.

But, as in all these things, that is purely my personal view.

• RMweb Premium

I think most would agree we should give Mike and the Derby team a break after organising such a good show.

Time was when the premier model railway exhibitions occurred in characteristic, slightly quirky venues - Westminster Halls, Leeds and Manchester Corn Exchanges, Macclesfield Drill Hall (Northern Premier League!) etc. The venue was part of the experience. Most of that era has gone with the advent of the sports/exhibition hall, Warley being the ultimate in that trend. as Mike says, its very hard to find good venues.

Derby Roundhouse is a unique and historic venue. Its not a bland sports/exhibition centre. The show will fit the venue. Its wrong to write off Klinkerhofen and Patsdorf as 'shunting planks' with a combined length of 46 feet!

If I ever produce a layut good enough [and I'm in shunting plank territory] I'd be proud to exhibit there. In the meantime I'll look forward to visiting.

Dava

Mike. I suggest we move the show to this St. Evenage place. Obviously there must be dozens of places there that could hold our exhibition including two big roundy roundy layouts and offer free parking too!! :no:  :banghead:

Archived