DERBY The Roundhouse, 7th & 8th May 2016

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

The point made about 'shunting planks' has been noted and is a difficulty we are aware of. As I mentioned in #70 on the previous page we only finalised our contract a few weeks ago and couldn't commit to anything that would need to be set up on Friday - last year every layout and trader had to arrive on Saturday and we thought that the same might happen again and had to go with those that we knew would fit and could if necessary be put up quickly. We now have access on Friday night but as has been pointed out in other comments above, the size and shape of the building does make it more difficult fitting things in unlike a square sports hall - having 20 pillars and a turntable don't help either !!

ROUNDY ROUNDY UPDATE

I have spoken to Alex who has confirmed that now we have secured the Friday night (although at an additional cost), he has already booked 3 layouts for 2017, all at least 24ft long which have a continuous run so those who like to look at trains chasing their tails should not be disappointed . . . .

Sorry to hear so many people missed the fun on our Thomas and Friends hands on roundy-roundy layout making its debut at the exhibition.We had a fantastic weekend operating it and enjoyed the youngsters reactions at the push button functions that have been installed by Matthew our electronics member.Thanks also to Malcolm ,Harry,William,Derek and our other Matthew for their operating skills to keep things running. Thanks also to the Event organising team who have done a fantastic job once again.

Having visited many shows I can honestly say that the Roundhouse is in my opinion the best and most atmospheric venue of them all, couple this with being one of the best exhibitions around at a very reasonable price for what is on offer (entrance fee, programme and parking all for a tenner)

This year was once again up to the usual high standard both in the quality of layouts and the overall organisation of the event. I’m already looking forward to 2017.

Of particular interest to me were The Clydach Railway and Vopax Terminal where the operator took the time and trouble to explain the how, why and what with unbridled enthusiasm

Michael

Well I enjoyed my all too brief visit (Mrs SM42 had only allotted 90 minutes in the busy social calendar at short notice )  and I spent too much again, which she found out about too.

It was nice to see some of the comments made after last year's show had been taken on board and I certainly felt that things in general were better this year than last. There were a couple of bottlenecks in the middle, but these are of feature of many shows.

Parking was £2 for me too, but that was a small price to pay to be 2 minutes walk from the entrance and as has been said not within the club's power.

Oh and it was a pretty good show too. The natural sunlight playing across some of the layouts added that little bit, that artificial light just can't do

Thank you for another good un. Just wish I could have stayed longer

Andy

Sorry to hear so many people missed the fun on our Thomas and Friends hands on roundy-roundy layout making its debut at the exhibition.We had a fantastic weekend operating it and enjoyed the youngsters reactions at the push button functions that have been installed by Matthew our electronics member.Thanks also to Malcolm ,Harry,William,Derek and our other Matthew for their operating skills to keep things running. Thanks also to the Event organising team who have done a fantastic job once again.

The only reason I did not get a good look at it was due to the huge crowd of kids around it clearly enjoying every moment and having to learn to be patient and take turns. That brought a big smile to my face! 

I attended on Sunday and spent the thick end of four hours there, about 50% longer than I spent at York and twice as long as I spend at a lot of shows.  There was a lot to see and a lot to admire.

I commented earlier about not missing a big OO tailchaser.  I'm currently getting the layouts together for next year's South Notts show- put one big OO tailchaser in and lose three or four smaller layouts - and probably find that the costs are no different, if not slightly more.  I was a little surprised by the number of small 4mm layouts there, given that there aren't as many out there as market share should suggest.  Perhaps with the 2mm layouts a little more bias towards tailchasers might bring the variety without compromising space. There are a lot of excellent N-gauge tailchasers in the East Midlands, none of which are huge.

The quality of layouts was high, with nothing that I felt really let the side down.  On the other side that meant I have no "stand out" layout, which is a good thing.  I've been to a few shows (no names, no pack drill) where a couple of layouts stood out and the rest were poor.  This certainly wasn't the case last weekend.

Catering was adequate, though service was a little on the slow side when I used it.  I might have been less enthusiastic if the queue had been longer when I joined it.  There was plenty of seating available in the area beyond the (open) barrier.  Lack of seating is a problem at several other shows (including mine....) but I didn't find that problem here.

The show seemed healthily busy but not to the state where it was a problem.  One or two pinch points, particularly where there are bits of turntable gubbins to contend with, but overall the flow was very good and I had no difficulty seeing everything I wanted to.  The map was helpful, though working out where you are on it in a round space isn't easy. I can't think of an improvement short of painting the walls different colours in different quadrants of the building - interesting thought but definitely not one that would be allowed.

Overall a high quality show, which in my humble opinion was worth every penny of its price. Well done!

Les

I attended on Sunday and spent the thick end of four hours there, about 50% longer than I spent at York and twice as long as I spend at a lot of shows.  There was a lot to see and a lot to admire.

I commented earlier about not missing a big OO tailchaser.  I'm currently getting the layouts together for next year's South Notts show- put one big OO tailchaser in and lose three or four smaller layouts - and probably find that the costs are no different, if not slightly more.  I was a little surprised by the number of small 4mm layouts there, given that there aren't as many out there as market share should suggest.  Perhaps with the 2mm layouts a little more bias towards tailchasers might bring the variety without compromising space. There are a lot of excellent N-gauge tailchasers in the East Midlands, none of which ..........

To all exhibition managers, it is the tail chasers that entertain the families with young children so there should be at least one in your exhibition.  These are the next generation of railway modellers.  My 00 gauge DCC 'tail chaser' layout 'Crewlisle' has been on the exhibition circuit for 30 years & has been exhibited at the NEC five times.   I would be a rich man if I had £1 for every time I have heard the comment, "It is nice to see something moving!".

Peter

• Administrators

To all exhibition managers, it is the tail chasers that entertain the families with young children so there should be at least one in your exhibition.  These are the next generation of railway modellers.  My 00 gauge DCC 'tail chaser' layout 'Crewlisle' has been on the exhibition circuit for 30 years & has been exhibited at the NEC five times.   I would be a rich man if I had £1 for every time I have heard the comment, "It is nice to see something moving!".

Peter

And yet I've had families and all ages enthralled by the spotting list on my 3ft long model of an asylum railway. I'd argue that those are more likely to become active modellers rather than people who just want the spectacle of trains thrashing round.

BUT I'm not in the business of issuing grand commands to people putting on shows as though they weren't clever enough to realise a tail chaser is a crowd pleaser. Every show is different. Every visitor is different.

And I really enjoyed Derby.

I wish that I'd been fit enough to go to the show (even though I'd have been char wallah for part of the time).  From the comments, it is obvious that you can't please all of the people all of the time and some of the people at all.  I must admit that I love seeing a really big roundy roundy  (perhaps those sixty years flying control line aeros was responsible!).  But I think small shunters/switchers can be equally fascinating to watch.   My pet hate is the guy with the stopwatch who says 'the 10:15 isn't due yet and there is no other train scheduled before 10:27"  -  purrlease - folks come to see trains moving not people playing at being the Controller. 

I'm glad to hear that the Thomas layout went down well with those it was designed for, we spent a lot of time and thought into building the replacement for our old one and, in my view, it wouldn't look out of place with normal stock running round it (perhaps my American Mallets would look bizarre). 

As for car parking charges, perhaps public transport is the answer,  with 'the muddied oafs in the goalmouth' playing on Saturday that encouraged the car park owners to up the charges, I really don't know.  The whole city is full of overpriced carparks  and double yellow lines where I used to park free on the street 15 years ago!   

• RMweb Premium

I wish that I'd been fit enough to go to the show (even though I'd have been char wallah for part of the time).   

Terry - hope that you are recovering well and that we'll soon see you at Club again. Don't worry about the exhibitor's tea mashing duties as we had several of the OAP's Club upstairs looking after that for us. As it was such a nice weekend we had to create a new job role - sitting outside in the sunshine as we opened some of the doors to get some fresh air into the building - I think you could have managed that with your one good eye . . . . . . .

Regards  Mike

As it was such a nice weekend we had to create a new job role - sitting outside in the sunshine as we opened some of the doors to get some fresh air into the building - I think you could have managed that with your one good eye . . . . . . .

Regards  Mike

A tough job but somebody had to do it :sungum:

I may have done myself a disservice describing my layout as a ’tail chaser’ as I totally agree with Phil Parker  in comment 135 about ‘..... trains thrashing around’.

My layout is on three inter connected levels.  On the high level there is a 4 platform terminus for 6 coach expresses, steam shed, turntable, diesel shed & goods yard; on the mid level is the double track WCML continuous run with OLE & a through station; on the low level is the reversing loop with the cassette exchange system.  I run a minimum of two locos/trains & sometimes as many as four simultaneously.  Hence my final statement in my original comment!

Peter

As to the doors been open, nice draft, but played havoc with my layout,2 freight car blew of, and because the layouts is designed like a box the wind drove straight in and nearly blew the layout over, had to dodge boxes flying of traders, i'm not complaining ,I had a word with Alex and one of the doors was shut, but maybe something to consider for next year :declare:

Ray

p.s should have kept my mouth shut ,you  no where i'll be put next year :nono:  :no:

• RMweb Gold

As to the doors been open, nice draft, but played havoc with my layout,2 freight car blew of, and because the layouts is designed like a box the wind drove straight in and nearly blew the layout over, had to dodge boxes flying of traders, i'm not complaining ,I had a word with Alex and one of the doors was shut, but maybe something to consider for next year :declare:

Ray

p.s should have kept my mouth shut ,you  no where i'll be put next year :nono:  :no:

Would be quite apt if your layout had been set in tornado alley. Might be fine for the new one :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

As to the doors been open, nice draft, but played havoc with my layout,

Sorry Ray, I wasn't aware of that as I spent a lot of my time by the pay desk or in the office. Glad it got sorted out for you.

My 'Funny' rating wasn't because of the damage (that should have been 'Friendly/Supportive') but because of your closing comment about where you'll be placed next time . . . . . . . .

I may have done myself a disservice describing my layout as a ’tail chaser’ as I totally agree with Phil Parker  in comment 135 about ‘..... trains thrashing around’.

My layout is on three inter connected levels.  On the high level there is a 4 platform terminus for 6 coach expresses, steam shed, turntable, diesel shed & goods yard; on the mid level is the double track WCML continuous run with OLE & a through station; on the low level is the reversing loop with the cassette exchange system.  I run a minimum of two locos/trains & sometimes as many as four simultaneously.  Hence my final statement in my original comment!

Peter

And I've seen Crewlisle; and it's not just good, and entertaining to watch - it's pretty compact too.

Q.E.D. I think!

What good exhibitions need is variety and balance.  I can enjoy watching a good, well-detailed, "one engine in steam" small shunting layout as much as the next man.  But I also appreciate a decent "stand by the lineside and watch the trains go by" offering too - whatever the era and the size.  And let's not be so dismissive about those please; there's a world of difference between something like that, done well, and a real "tailchaser" where the same train does several circuits, usually at high speed.  Which is fine for 'Thomas' etc. but not perhaps otherwise at an exhibition.

Anyway, all being well, I'll be back at Derby next year.

And yet I've had families and all ages enthralled by the spotting list on my 3ft long model of an asylum railway. I'd argue that those are more likely to become active modellers rather than people who just want the spectacle of trains thrashing round.

BUT I'm not in the business of issuing grand commands to people putting on shows as though they weren't clever enough to realise a tail chaser is a crowd pleaser. Every show is different. Every visitor is different.

And I really enjoyed Derby.

As did I VERY much, but you do need a variety of layout types to suit a variety of tastes if you need those who just like to see "trains thrashing round" (I would prefer the phrase "a succession of appropriate trains running through the scenery") to come back next year and pay for your hall, and not JUST the potential active modellers. What was the comment on venue cost- five figures did someone say?

Les

(exhibition manager, South Notts Show - attendance this year up 73%)

• RMweb Premium

What was the comment on venue cost- five figures did someone say?

To be exact £10,370.21 (which includes £1728.37 VAT). However the actual venue cost for this year was £6,960, but then we have agreed increases for the next two years and have paid deposits in advance to secure the dates. This is around £1500 more than last year but as I have mentioned in previous posts, this also secured the Friday evening to enable us to set up rather than trying to get everyone in at 6.00am. This is why you should see some changes to the type of layout being booked for next year but this was only confirmed a few weeks ago.

I hope that some of those who seem to take pleasure in complaining now appreciate how much we have put into this show - and what we have put at risk . . . .

Ouch!, big commitment there Mike, you can't win what ever you do, you know what the shout will be next year "to many tail chasers, I preferred all those smaller layouts"

You should have had a raffle this year, 1st prize "be a exhibition manager for a day in 2017" bet all those complaining so and so wouldn't buy tickets

Ray

I don't see why it is necessary to descend to personal insults.

No, I didn't go to the show, but I did pick up on the points mentioned about parking and the difficulty of erecting large layouts because of the design/construction of the venue. I have never paid to park at a show-even at St Albans as the parking is free on a Sunday. That venue was dreadful, and the show is re-locating next year to.....Stevenage! I do feel cheated if a show has lots of shunty planks and no biggies-I want to see something I can't achieve at home by myself.

I do get fed up with people defending show organisers with the "they are only amateurs and they are doing their best" line. When you get into big venues like this then you're in show-biz and you need to perform. Nobody is forcing you to do this. If you need a level to aspire to then look at Railex.

@Mike-yes, I appreciate your point about risk, but you do this to gain a reward (ie profit). It's called business.

Anyway, I won't be coming to the show next year (I daren't!), and I'll take no further part in this discussion.

Best wishes to all who support this show.

Ed

I don't see why it is necessary to descend to personal insults.

No, I didn't go to the show, but I did pick up on the points mentioned about parking and the difficulty of erecting large layouts because of the design/construction of the venue. I have never paid to park at a show-even at St Albans as the parking is free on a Sunday. That venue was dreadful, and the show is re-locating next year to.....Stevenage! I do feel cheated if a show has lots of shunty planks and no biggies-I want to see something I can't achieve at home by myself.

I do get fed up with people defending show organisers with the "they are only amateurs and they are doing their best" line. When you get into big venues like this then you're in show-biz and you need to perform. Nobody is forcing you to do this. If you need a level to aspire to then look at Railex.

@Mike-yes, I appreciate your point about risk, but you do this to gain a reward (ie profit). It's called business.

Anyway, I won't be coming to the show next year (I daren't!), and I'll take no further part in this discussion.

Best wishes to all who support this show.

Ed

I rather think that if you did not go to the show you are not in a position to voice an opinion about the quality of the exhibits. I think that Mike has clearly explained the reasons certain decisions were made. Everyone should also remember that this is only the second Derby show at this venue. Much of what was wrong about last year's show was corrected eg the space in the library and the catering (not having attended you would not know that!) I am sure following the debrief meeting much more will be addressed for next year.

Let's be fair, the car park fees were minuscule compared to the cost of the city centre car parks. Yes there was a lot of shunting planks, but the organiser's were limited by the expected set up arrangements.

Have you been an exhibition manager? Are you aware of some of the challenges that they face?

Archived