DERBY The Roundhouse, 7th & 8th May 2016

Mike Bellamy

The problem seems to be that local authorities aren't building enough dedicated model railway exhibition halls. You obviously need to build your own venue.

People have commented how good the new venue for Trainwest turned out to be. I believe it cost £13.7 million.

I reckon that we could have built something even better in Chippenham and covered our costs with an admission fee of £5,000 per person - provided, of course, that the attendance held up.

On second thoughts...

Geoff Endacott

I did some scouting around before signing up for the hall for the 2018 South Notts show. 

We have a venue that is tired, but which a lot of people are putting in unpaid hours to improve.  It doesn't cost us very much at all.  There is a sports centre opposite with a manager who will price-match.  His venue is a quarter of the size with no catering.

In the nearest town there is a new community centre which wanted five times as much for the weekend for slightly less space. I could beat them down to four times the amount but we would lose too much money by going there.  Then there are schools- the cheapest one nearby wanting TEN TIMES what we pay.  So I accept we have a tired venue but reject any suggestions that we move.

On the other hand the Derby show has a magnificent venue, but frighteningly expensive, and with a layout that is less than helpful.  I've been to both shows at the Roundhouse and I'm very impressed with the way the show is fitted into a difficult space.  Speaking as someone who has done the job I couldn't have done as well.  Organisation throughout was excellent and I learned a lot from observing it - and picked up a few ideas that will improve South Notts show next year.

NOBODY comes away from a show totally enthralled with 100% of what they see- that is human nature.  It was W.S.Gilbert who wrote "And isn't life extremely flat when you've nothing whatever to grumble at".   As a punter I found very little to grumble at, less than at any other show I've attended this year, and there have been a good few of those....

Next year I'm confident the show will be even better- we are all in the learning game after all. 

Les

Before Geoff takes offence, I didn't attend Trainwest as a punter but as an exhibitor.  My grumbles there were both self-inflicted, a point failure on the layout made it a nightmare to operate and I didn't look at the price board on the car park at Chippenham Station when picking up Mr Simon.  You think Derby is expensive to park?

I rather think that if you did not go to the show you are not in a position to voice an opinion about the quality of the exhibits.

But that is exactly the criteria that I use to decide whether a show is worth attending- it's a market out there and good promotion and advertising should involve photos and a brief description instead of what might appear to be just a list of words that have come out of a "random cliche generator" with the scale next to them if you're lucky. If a village hall type show can still survive through relying on passing traffic and repeat visits from locals and doesn't need to attract me (and this might include someone travelling some distance and going to two or three shows on a day), then that's fine but can't be sustainable and isn't the place where I'd want to take my own layout.

Another issue for me with shows that don't promote their exhibits is despite that fact that it's actually 2016, too many features layouts from 1986 with basic "could do better" laziness and doubles such as unpainted rails, no lighting, and stuff stuck on the backscene right in the middle of the sky. It's hardly inspiring and makes me feel that I'm paying two thirds of the entrance fee to a good show without two thirds of the good- if any at all.

But that is exactly the criteria that I use to decide whether a show is worth attending- it's a market out there and good promotion and advertising should involve photos and a brief description instead of what might appear to be just a list of words that have come out of a "random cliche generator" with the scale next to them if you're lucky. If a village hall type show can still survive through relying on passing traffic and repeat visits from locals and doesn't need to attract me (and this might include someone travelling some distance and going to two or three shows on a day), then that's fine but can't be sustainable and isn't the place where I'd want to take my own layout.

Another issue for me with shows that don't promote their exhibits is despite that fact that it's actually 2016, too many features layouts from 1986 with basic "could do better" laziness and doubles such as unpainted rails, no lighting, and stuff stuck on the backscene right in the middle of the sky. It's hardly inspiring and makes me feel that I'm paying two thirds of the entrance fee to a good show without two thirds of the good- if any at all.

But unless you go to the show you cannot say whether it is good or not. I saw the list of layouts for Derby and knew about 30% of the layouts there because I had seen them before. A lot of those were not layouts that impressed me at previous shows me. I went, because it is my local show, and was very impressed by the layouts that I had not seen before. As a result I thought it was a good show because the quality exceeded my expectations. I could easily have sat at home and criticised from reading the layout list and listening to others. The fact is I didn't and that is my point. If you attended the show constructive criticism can be respected and appreciated. Those that didn't go should shut up!

Incidentally I organise one of the local village shows that you allude to. We have grown year on year with many positive comments from those who attend. Constructive criticism from those who attend has been welcomed, listened to and has helped us develop the show and provide that growth.

• Administrators

On the other hand the Derby show has a magnificent venue, but frighteningly expensive,

It's only frigheningly expensive if you've never tried to hire an proper exhibition centre. Then it's par for the course, and cheap compared to some.

Well done to Mike for throwing a fact into the discussion. Much appreciated.

• Administrators

It's reasonable to decide from the advertising if a show is worth attending. I don't think it's reasonable to criticise a show afterwards without attending. You cannot have seen the layouts as well as someone who has been in the hall looking at them. You can't know how the catering worked. Nor how the hall layout worked. There's enough waffle on the web from those who did go without additional comment from people who didn't. Some idea why people didn't go might be helpful but first it's probably better to keep those who paid happy, and that will probably imporve things and persuade a few people to decide to go the next year.

A bigger problem for shows is how exactly do you provide all the information you appear to need? For a start someone has to supply all the details and photos. Many layouts owners simply don't have professional quality images of their model they can share. Even if they do, someone at the club has to assemble a massive website with all this information on and then persuade everyone to visit this and spend time looking through it all.

It's reasonable to decide from the advertising if a show is worth attending. I don't think it's reasonable to criticise a show afterwards without attending. You cannot have seen the layouts as well as someone who has been in the hall looking at them. You can't know how the catering worked. Nor how the hall layout worked. There's enough waffle on the web from those who did go without additional comment from people who didn't. Some idea why people didn't go might be helpful but first it's probably better to keep those who paid happy, and that will probably imporve things and persuade a few people to decide to go the next year.

A bigger problem for shows is how exactly do you provide all the information you appear to need? For a start someone has to supply all the details and photos. Many layouts owners simply don't have professional quality images of their model they can share. Even if they do, someone at the club has to assemble a massive website with all this information on and then persuade everyone to visit this and spend time looking through it all.

Totally agree Phil. Nice to see some sense being brought to this thread.

• RMweb Gold

We visited last year on the Sunday morning (ending up helping out on a layout that was short of crew) and thought it a very good show plus a fantastic venue. Can't comment on the parking as we came by train.

The train fare was way more than 2 quid but we spent even more Saturday night drinking with Long Island Jack and crew so driving was out the question.

If it hadn't been for the Devon Freemo meet the same weekend this year then we would have been to Derby for the beer and show.

At risk of a "me too", a couple of friends and myself visited last year.

I couldn't get this year as those friends were out of the country or area (bad timing!) and I was not fit enough to drive that far.

Hopefully I will be next year as it is well worth a trip.

If the layouts or trade alone don't hit the spot (with that variety, how can they not?), the unique and historical venue must, surely?

Cheers,

John.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I know this is an old topic now the Derby 2016 has been and gone but I am after some information if possible.

I attended on the Saturday and enjoyed the show very much and whilst I was there noticed that one of the traders in the main roundhouse was advertising a DVD that they were producing covering the then recent GWR open day at Bristol St. Phillips Marsh depot. For the life of me I cannot remember the traders details but I can recall that the stand was on the right hand aisle after coming through the main doors into the roundhouse itself. I have had a look at the traders list earlier in the thread and but I just cannot remember what the stand was. What I do know is that they were taking deposits for the DVD and my intention was to order a copy for my older brother as a future birthday present.

Any ideas?

Thanks Paul

• RMweb Premium

At risk of a "me too", a couple of friends and myself visited last year.

I couldn't get this year as those friends were out of the country or area (bad timing!) and I was not fit enough to drive that far.

Hopefully I will be next year as it is well worth a trip.

If the layouts or trade alone don't hit the spot (with that variety, how can they not?), the unique and historical venue must, surely?

Cheers,

John.

Totally agree John, Derby offers a distinctive combination of history, ambience and quality of layout.  Always one for the diary.

See you at the "Christmas Show".

Archived