3 way point/ Frog juicer problem

pendlerail

Hello everyone, on my small layout I have a 3 way point in my Shunting yard (inglenook) on one of the directions none of my shunters will cross the frog, I have Electrofrog points with frog juicers all other points work fine but this one doesn't so today I tried to short the layout out to see what happens, and when I tried that route another frog juicer changed and the layout, it is the Left hand route that is causing the problem, most big engines cross it just fine but not really useful on an Iglenook! 

any ideas anybody?

Thanks Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pendlerail,

I was struggling with an electrical error on a 3 way turnout. The problem turned out to be that I had used an old wiring diagram.

you need a piece of plain rail (i.e one not connected to a juicer) between the frogs connected to different juicers (or terminals if using a dual or hex). 

This needs to be isolated from the frogs connected to the juicers (obviously!) and powered.

There are a lot of wiring diagrams floating around the web which do not show this plain rail section.

The problem is that a short wheel base loco will run onto the first frog tripping it to the correct current direction, then move straight onto the second frog. If the second frog is on the opposing current the first frog switches not the second so the loco stalls.

Longer locos will bridge the frogs so won't suffer this problem.

It took me quite a while to figure this out as some times the fault would not manifest itself (if the second frog was already set to the correct current direction the the loco would pass unhindered).

hope this helps!

Or, switch the frogs with conventional switches attached to the routes through the turnout and the problem goes away.  The extra bit of powered rail is then not needed.   In the situation of an installed juicer, replacing one output with a conventional switch which changes with the route set through the turnout should solve the issue.

- Nigel

It took me quite a while to figure this out as some times the fault would not manifest itself (if the second frog was already set to the correct current direction the the loco would pass unhindered).

There's probably also some randomness (or sod's law) as to which juicer switches first. In the worst case both juicers see the fault and switch...

• 2 years later...

I’ve recently discovered the same problem.

2 x 3 way points and a single slip, handbuilt and cannot be altered.

Discovered when running a small 0-4-0 pug across. Sometimes it will run across, sometimes the frog won’t recognise it being there and it stalls.

I decided to use frog juicers as I am using servos for the point motors so as not to have any mechanical switches on them. The servos are all wired up to their control panel.

So I take it I’ll have to install a switch on the side of the servo that when the servo moves across it moves the switch?