Foreign Stock in Britain

Jawfin

• RMweb Gold

I think the intention of the OP was locos/stock that had served on an overseas railway before coming to the UK.

But if we widen that, as some have, to foreign designed/built locos I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the GWR's De Glehn Atlantics. Foundation of most GW classes thereafter and therefore quite a lot of LMS designs as well.

• RMweb Premium

I think the intention of the OP was locos/stock that had served on an overseas railway before coming to the UK.

But if we widen that, as some have, to foreign designed/built locos I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the GWR's De Glehn Atlantics. Foundation of most GW classes thereafter and therefore quite a lot of LMS designs as well.

Yes indeed, I re-read the OP and would add the class 20's that operated in France and were re-imported for preservation. Not forgetting of course the class 56's and 58's that were used for infrastructure projects in France and Spain though most were scrapped/stored overseas IIRC a few were returned to the UK.

• RMweb Premium

Yes indeed, I re-read the OP and would add the class 20's that operated in France and were re-imported for preservation. Not forgetting of course the class 56's and 58's that were used for infrastructure projects in France and Spain though most were scrapped/stored overseas IIRC a few were returned to the UK.

And 37s.

Cheers,

Mick

Wasn't some of the early District Railway electric stock built in the USA?

I'm glad someone mentioned the Norwegian on the K&ESR. I worked on that loco befroe its recent overhaul; it is quite a pleasant loco to work on.

There was also a French pacific at Ashford Steam Centre. some pictures of that have recently been published on the Southern double Deck Group on Facebook.

Archived