Shapeways High Detail Acrylate / HDA

Could the stepping be due to some kind of problem with your drawing output? might be worth looking at it to make sure the thickness' are right and so on. Shapeways might be able to advise too, as it seems most of the items they've shown don't  have the stepping.

Well, the 3D mesh has the stepping area smooth so I'd say no.  But some HDA prints do have stepping, it's odd really.

Also even small items like a N gauge road wagon has warped in areas.  On the Shapeways link there has been a few updates where the guy shows a comparison with the FUD and in this instance the FUD in my opinion seems a lot better...

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=140833#msg_140833

To everyone, there is a photograph on previous page of a HDA print.

Edited by Knuckles

Could the stepping be due to some kind of problem with your drawing output? might be worth looking at it to make sure the thickness' are right and so on. Shapeways might be able to advise too, as it seems most of the items they've shown don't  have the stepping.

The stepping is due to the 50 micron build layers. 

Yeah I gathered, but what isn't clear is why it isn't seen on all the models. Some seem smooth all over.

I'm rather amazed that they printed my chassis and posted it off no problem but they struggled with the body. The chassis has sprues and long thin bits all over so it seems odd to me.

Interestingly (well to me at least) the items I ordered on 2 April, and which were due for dispatch today, have finally moved to the Pre-production stage (cue - email that they won't be able to do them) - Think I can safely assume that there won't be posting them out to me today.

Dean

I ordered some bits on the 3rd, estimated ship date was today, but they shipped yesterday and are due tomorrow.

Shapeways didn't show them as being in production until about an hour before they were showing as shipped!

Cheers,

Eddie.

Email in today, and somewhat unsurprisingly my item won't ship today. It might not ship until Tuesday.

The WSF items I purchased in the same order are now in packing, but the HDA items appear to have gone backward and are not now in pre-production?

Ho hum

Dean

Unsure what to say about it if I am honest so sorry for not being able to help. However I can now confirm to the world that my opinion currently shows that although in some areas HDA looks and feels good (Emphasis on 'some') overall for 4mm / 1:76 scale loco models it is basically useless. I've sent off these pictures to Shapeways and asked for a refund.

This loco body they refused to send me, instead they dumped it and gave me a refund as it didn't print right. I wanted it anyway but heh ho, the running plate is bent to buggery.

Screenshot_2016-04-08-22-18-16.png

The chassis that is more complex but did manage to print however.....

HDA%20chassis%20Issues%201.jpg

HDA%20chassis%20Issues%202.jpg

HDA%20chassis%20Issues%203.jpg

HDA%20chassis%20Issues%204.jpg

HDA%20chassis%20Issues%205.jpg

Nobbles are to be expected as they have to clip off tsupport material, as I predicted though they would sometimes clip the wrong thing. Nobles can be filed smooth.

I'm really disappointed though.

Hopefully this post has been educational to you all. The material no doubt is good for Warhammer figures or whatever but 4mm scale loco's, a'a.

So err, stick to WSF/BSF and FUD/FXD. They print square.

Shame. :(

Also apologies for the myriad of typo's in the pic edits, I'm sure you can read past them though.

Edited by Knuckles

I got my items today, some 2mm scale wagon bodies.

I'm quite pleased with the results, the general surface finish is very good.

There are however a few issues; a couple of incomplete corners, a kind of "quilting" effect of raised material around where the support sprues joined the underneath of the wagons, (meaning that W iron units or subframes, or other underframe parts will not fit properly), a single layering glitch on one wagon, and a relatively large extra unwanted rectangle of material on the other.

I have been unable as yet to take any decent photos.

I'm going to highlight these issues to Shapeways and ask for a reprint.

Cheers,

Eddie.

I see that i-materialise are now offering what seems to be the same material but with the option of retaining the support structure so that the end user can remove it themselves.

https://i.materialise.com/blog/smooth-detail-resin/?utm_source=i.materialise&utm_campaign=636c37df73-2016_04_20_I_Mat_Smooth_HD_Resin_Newsfla&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d691657378-636c37df73-64335213

• Like 1

I got an email to say mine would be at least a week late as there's high demand. 

The i.materialise material looks interesting, big bounding box, nicer looking material, thinner wall thickness but details must also be 0.4mm which is pretty limiting in 4mm scale let alone 2mm. Looks to have a slightly grainy finish.

I've also had nothing but problems ordering from i.Materialise - unless your STL is perfect then you have to go through the manual quote rigmaraole. At least Shapeways can sort out non perfect STLs as part of the upload process. 

How imperfect do you mean?

I use one of the solid checkers and never upload anything until the checker is happy. You may be on about something different though.

I've never tried iMaterialise. Thought about it a lot but I keep hearing these different issues and it puts me off.

Edited by Knuckles

I am going to try some small more or less flat pieces, (tank and cab sides for a 009 'Mountaineer' based on a Minitrains Baldwin), will keep you all posted on what appears... these are decorative 'sides' without any structural or functional functions, which might be a safe bet with this new material with some vouchers!

My items have just been cancelled. To be fair they have apparently tried to print them six times but have been unable to remove the support material without breaking them. 

I've reordered in FUD - £6 a time dearer, but at least a similar item printed in this came out ok

Dean

They've given up on mine too, shame. 

How imperfect do you mean?

I use one of the solid checkers and never upload anything until the checker is happy. You may be on about something different though.

I've never tried iMaterialise. Thought about it a lot but I keep hearing these different issues and it puts me off.

Mine all go through netfabb, complicated models made in sketchup invariably have allsorts of weird little errors, after correction in netfabb they can still come out imperfect. I have no idea what the issues actually are I'm not that techy with 3d modelling, but in any case they are never an issue with shapeways, they are with i.materialise. I always go by the shapeways preview, if all parts render fine then that is how it turns out in print. Sometimes just exporting the same file again rectifies issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else still waiting for HDA prints? My order was meant to be delivered Friday but the HDA part is still in 'pre production' where as the rest of parts in FUD Are ready for delivery?

More or less the same here, except that my HDA parts have not even moved from 'Processing' to 'pre production'. FUD parts ordered at the same time (expected to be sent on the 4th) are at the packing stage.

• 4 weeks later...

Aye, was just wondering if anyone else has received prints and could comment.

I'm hoping they refine the process as I would still like to be able to release loco bodies in it providing they can get it right.

Seems the best of both FUD and WSF when done right.