Porth Merryn, Small Cornish Fishing Port

Andrew P

Hi Folks,

My measurements turned out good and today with the Exhibition trestles cut to the correct width, the new fiddle yard baseboard was married up to the existing layout. I did make a small error when building the new baseboard but when its finished hopefully you will never know. The new baseboard is built in an unusual manor as the baseboard top is sunk a bit and there is a lip on x3 sides so, any derailments won’t end up on the floor.

post-8832-0-05025900-1523880955_thumb.png

post-8832-0-34803600-1523881045_thumb.png

It’s Dad’s 85th Birthday next month, I will try and get it finished for then. It will be a juggling act as I have got some decorating to do and the gardens to be sorted. I will let you know how I get on.

• Like 4

Hi Folks,

My measurements turned out good and today with the Exhibition trestles cut to the correct width, the new fiddle yard baseboard was married up to the existing layout. I did make a small error when building the new baseboard but when its finished hopefully you will never know. The new baseboard is built in an unusual manor as the baseboard top is sunk a bit and there is a lip on x3 sides so, any derailments won’t end up on the floor.

attachicon.gif1EBBC99C-F148-49EE-8003-E4036AE63B8E.png

attachicon.gif7A951207-0671-4A59-A5CF-8BD3321BF9BF.png

It’s Dad’s 85th Birthday next month, I will try and get it finished for then. It will be a juggling act as I have got some decorating to do and the gardens to be sorted. I will let you know how I get on.

A vast improvement Nigel, looking good.

Happy Birthday to your Dad BTW.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The fiddleyard board is looking good and that looks like some great work on the tressles. Are they braced between each other, or do the spread at the bottom? I can't see from the pictures how they stay vertical.

Kind regards Neil

Are you going to build a scenic break between the original board and the new fiddle yard?

When I built the Layout Andy, there was only a half one, so that you could see into the Back Yard of the corner Shop, it may need more now though.

• Like 1

Hi Folks

In answer to your question about the scenic break, don’t really want to change anything on the scenic side. I think Andy P’s original set up is very good and works well. The idea of the extended fiddle yard or new baseboard (whatever you want to call it), was so that Dad could run a few more trains and to make it easy for him. I know that Porth Merryn may attend a few local exhibitions, but for mostly it is a home layout.

Progress this week

The track work has been losely pinned down to see what we could fit in. My track work is not the best in the world but I am quite pleased with the outcome.

post-8832-0-91243100-1524216950_thumb.jpeg

I couldn’t resist the opportunity to put some stock on to check train lengths. We (sorry Dad) wanted a track long enough to take a x2 coach train (B set or a mk1 and a couple of milk tanks), a track for freight, another for his autocoach and 14xx, and a track to store a loco. Well we have at the moment x5 tracks instead of x4.

post-8832-0-26278500-1524217277_thumb.jpeg

Next week it’s time for the electrics

post-8832-0-51663400-1524217354_thumb.jpeg

I am looking forward to seeing how I get on I do have an Express Models DCC Power Bus Kit that I bought to re-wire Melangoose (but never got around to it).

post-8832-0-88749400-1524217503_thumb.jpeg

I will let you know how I get on.

• Like 8

That looks excellent Nigel, and will improve operation tremendously. 

For Fiddle Yards on DCC Layouts like Glen Roy and Fiddlers Yard etc. I used Insulfrog Points to minimise wiring and ensure that unwanted Trains were dead in the appropriate siding. previously with DCC wired Fiddle Yards I just wired along the rail ends, and then put some foam along to hide it, and act as a cushion for the Locos to hit.

Keep up the good work and postings.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I did the something similar with my DCC staging yard. The foam at the end is ideal with DCC locos, when you are going a little faster than you realised and the inertia of the loco is higher than you realise.

I've a Prairie that's really nice with the B set on. But run light, or with a couple of trucks and with less weight it tends to run into the foam quite regularly! 

Hi Folks,

Yesterday I spent time fitting the DCC Concepts Digital IP Point Motors. Which were all tested last night and work fine.

post-8832-0-80662300-1524733082_thumb.png

This morning I have programmed the Macro numbers on the NCE Powercab. For those of you who possibly don’t know what this is, it is a means to join point motors together to create a route. For example I have numbered the sidings 1 to 5, so if you want your train to go into siding 3, you press Macro - 3 - Enter, and all of the points will throw so you can access siding 3. It is a mavarlous system and very easy to programme (Dad should have lots of fun with it). A big Thanks to Kevin Broadhurst (Hampshire Hog), for introducing me to it and showing me how it works.

post-8832-0-40536700-1524733702_thumb.png

Just a few bits to tidy up now before it goes to Dad.

• Like 11

• 3 months later...

I have only just caught up with the news since this layout changed hands. I have followed Andy's input on this thread since its inception and am so pleased this charming layout found a good home.  Your dad must be "chuffed" (sorry) with it and the extended fiddle-yard is a very good addition - well done Melangoose.

Regards,

Brian.

• 6 months later...