East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Having worked in the industry for two almost two decades, its become abundantly clear that however good and wonderful the training is - its only when you start doing the job do you really start the learning process.

Like driving cars

You learn to pass your test, then you learn to drive once you have passed it.

(Unfortunately some never learn to drive)

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

11 hours ago, Jaggzuk said:

Harsh and slight offensive to those of us that actually do work on the railways and highways!!  Having to engineer a project around a live and very busy railway line is extremely tough and requires huge effort and expertise both in terms of planning and work, there is nothing substandard about it whatever. 

It is a testament to the way we work now, particularly on the railways, that rail engineering is a very safe industry.  The working practices during the ECML electrification work will shock most these days when compared to todays methods and equipment used.

There are a lot of reasons why things are done in a particular order and to a set program in engineering, but to the lay-person this can appear confusing, odd and even questionable.

As an aside, the line appears to have a 20mph speed limit on is (if you look at the photo), so any track alignment issue (if there is one) has been considered by applying such a slow speed limit.

Perhaps the reason for the slower speed compared to when the temporary Stamford lines and Glinton Junction were installed (both 50mph) is that the new Up Stamford passes over the newly installed box jack, runs very close along the edge of the southern ramp and is also close to the Down Fast.  No doubt any movement of the track and trackbed/ground shift is being monitored closely.  If all appears well then it may be that the line speed will increase in stages over a period of weeks until everything is settled in.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Having worked in the industry for two almost two decades, its become abundantly clear that however good and wonderful the training is - its only when you start doing the job do you really start the learning process.

I'll try not to drag this thread off topic too much.

while I agree that experience counts, my own experience of working on the railway in the late 70's and early 80's was of drivers who spent too much time in the pub before and during a shift and being reckless with safety, they were not always the glory days.

As for the "Boil in the Bag" comment the poster has repeated it ad nauseam for several years claiming it to be funny when it is far from the truth, here is one from from 2017 as an example. 

A simple search turns up many posts with that reference being used by the poster, it's an insulting term that belongs in the past.

I'll comment no more as no doubt this will be deleted as well :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2021 at 22:38, Donington Road said:

Too dark to get any more photos and with a big rat running along nearby it was time to head home.

IMG_8317c.jpg.4e0a1e4646fa9b671384d649d549a7d2.jpg

IMG_8316c.jpg.369e0ba09f7477f93eb13b025ab9ab55.jpg

IMG_8322c.jpg.44bcb9ece9e54089480ece24b22581e5.jpg

IMG_8329c.jpg.87c0da61ab2ca8d615c1ad37013b9211.jpg

IMG_8335cJPG.jpg.018a3c8c67a24319de9d4b99759db5a3.jpg

Hurn Road footpath by candle light.

IMG_8331c.jpg.b52e0dee3ba3b476d9f044fb0ffdbb55.jpg

Rats back on the ECML? Nobody told me about this, I need to get out more!......

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

They really ought to fix that Welcome sign. It doesn't give the right image.

And has the 20 mph limit gone?

Jonathan

Agree re the welcome sign.

20 limit is still there.

20210612_152132.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Up Stamford in use, at 20mph.

Best to watch on Youtube to read the description.

It must be a pretty heavy train with so many loads of ballast. Having watched the YouTube film I realised it wasn't going to end up south of Peterborough but was taken north after doing a change of direction in New England. 

1 hour ago, Crun said:

It must be a pretty heavy train with so many loads of ballast. Having watched the YouTube film I realised it wasn't going to end up south of Peterborough but was taken north after doing a change of direction in New England. 

It was booked as 2400 tons, perhaps about twice the weight of a normal ballast train.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The line speed of the new Up Stamford has been increased as I witnessed several trains at Cock Lane traversing it Monday evening doing at least 50mph.  I did not visit Hurn Road to check if the temporary speed sign had been changed or even removed.

Where is Crun, when you need some photos to confirm? :jester:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Donington Road said:

The line speed of the new Up Stamford has been increased as I witnessed several trains at Cock Lane traversing it Monday evening doing at least 50mph.  I did not visit Hurn Road to check if the temporary speed sign had been changed or even removed.

Where is Crun, when you need some photos to confirm? :jester:

It looks like it will be a bit cooler today. I will get out on the bike and do my usual ride out to the Hurn Road bridge and back via the Lincoln Road bridge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More from Hurn Road bridge. Azuma 803:

20210615_130844.jpg

20210615_130951.jpg

20210615_130953.jpg

20210615_131040.jpg

Light engine 66 

20210615_131334.jpg

20210615_131346.jpg

A large three-sided metal box being moved:

20210615_131508.jpg

20210615_131516.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 10

Thank you for all the photos today Crun.

It appears that the Up Stamford is back to full line speed.  I don't think it is 75mph from Helpston to Marholm Junction, more like 60mph as there is a 75mph sign at Marholm Junction.  The Down Stamford is 75mph from Cock Lane to Helpston Junction.

Someone pointed out on my Youtube channel that the temporary 20mph was probably in place due to the fact that there are still people working within the area bounded by the Stamford lines. There is still machinery in the split of lines at Hurn Road as seen in your photos.

Still at lot of spoil coming out towards the northern portal of the dive under.

.......and that Bailey Bridge, jeez they're spinning that job out.:jester:

• Like 2