East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

The roving reporter sent these photos taken on Saturday.  Very large heap of sand has built up during the week, for what purpose, who knows?  Must be digging another hole somewhere that will need filling up again.:jester:

DSC_1863.jpg.1ac4e6680efe68c83544f7ed08eae82e.jpg

The new haul road accessing the site around the culvert has been built up higher on the bend and levelled out more.

1055073174_yetanotherview(2).jpg.8738ebcb18353741bbe7b4beb44a6ef4.jpg

1731467369_Notanotherone.jpg.2a90db5e2617f677a78dd81afa9290fd.jpg

While Richard was at Lincoln Road I was down at Hurn Road. How do I know?  I took photos of the ground being excavated away between the two bridge piers, when I came back Richard's photo showed it had been rollered in the bottom.:rolleyes:

Beginning to see Werrington again from Hurn Road footbridge.  The large spoil mound is slowly being eroded away.  Reportedly, there was 1600 tons being taken away each day last week.

This is how it looked in the Spring.

353052353_2019-0191.jpg.7bde6df84a0d3e8a1deee6a8e0d1457f.jpg

and today.

188557786_2020-1274.jpg.e1726c4e0d8b098b6a19b94d0164d622.jpg

I didn't set out to do a panoramic view put these two photos just about joined together to show how this part of the site like the Cock Lane area is slowly being cleared up.

312468096_2020-1273_stitch.jpg.f6de6f5d223e1d8217f7840b0cd9c3af.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

By 3:00pm the tractor units have left leaving the bridge spans on the trailers and the crane has been folded away for another day.

IMG_5383.jpg.58595c6508e617aff3f7492b61a6746b.jpg

While sheltering from a bit of dizzle under Hurn Road I noticed a little bit of a puddle.

Piling work should start here again towards the end of the week.

IMG_5385.jpg.f4c485a24df4c9785e8fd9b89a528fc7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Donington Road said:

By 3:00pm the tractor units have left leaving the bridge spans on the trailers and the crane has been folded away for another day.

IMG_5383.jpg.58595c6508e617aff3f7492b61a6746b.jpg

Not surprising with the wind velocity today,

Any lifting would be hazardous.

• Agree 1

Werrington Grade Separation site: a film by Trackside ECML of a visit to check on the works on a very windy afternoon, 25th August 2020. A musical soundtrack only due to high wind noise.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Wandered up to see what was going on and bumped into Donington Road at Lincoln Road. He was doing a fair bit of video work which is something I've not really bothered with so far.

Anyway the crane is on site, it's quite a piece of kit. One of the guys on site was saying it's a 750 tonner!

IMG_1701

They had lifted three beams in by the time I started taking pictures, this was the fourth.

IMG_1707

IMG_9874

IMG_1711

That's it from me for today, next visit, all being well, on Friday as I've got to put up some scaffolding to do some work on guttering and a downpipe tomorrow.

I expect Donington Road will have quite a bit more to post and I look forward to seeing his shots.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

From another forum:

"It seems like it's going to have an Line of Route of LN145 (MGC ELR?), and it says September-21. Not sure if that's September 21st 2020 or September 2021.

The junction at the Peterborough side will be called Marholm Jn at 126.790. Stanox 45126, Tiploc MRHLMJN, Nalco 613356.
The Lincoln side will be called Glinton Jn at 129.535. Stanox 45127, Tiploc GLNTNJN, Nalco 613353"

• Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Richard E said:

Wandered up to see what was going on and bumped into Donington Road at Lincoln Road. He was doing a fair bit of video work which is something I've not really bothered with so far.

I expect Donington Road will have quite a bit more to post and I look forward to seeing his shots.

A good day Richard, nice to have a chat with you.

I'm busy rendering a video now but it will be much later getting it on to Youtube.  After sifting through 97 video clips to find something decent I have seen about enough of bridge building for one day:jester:

I was going to stop and see them dismantling the crane but hungar and thirst won the day.  My roving reporter friend is hopefully putting a video together of that sequence:good:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting the way the crane takes itself apart.

There was a series on BBC TV a few years back about Anscough called "The Crane Guys"

Well worth a look if you can find it on iPlayer.

The company tries to make sure it has the biggest crane in the UK.

They were used to replaced the railway deck over Montpelier Street on the Camp Hill line in Birmingham a few Christmasses ago.

The crane had to be located in an adjacent car auction site.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

There has been a rumour around for a few weeks about Cock Lane footbridge having to be closed for a couple of weeks to fit replacement bearing pads on the bridge span.

Maybe this letter is the planned closure for fitting those pads and it is not the rumoured two whole weeks.  I hope it is being done under warranty.

scan0001.jpg.9f6be95bc64aa1a21bdd5ed8b06e5d82.jpg

scan0002.jpg.89c61446980ebfa984e0d133724c81df.jpg

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Some pictures from Friday.

Still knitting with rebar on the southern side of the new span at Lincoln Road.

IMG_1725

And building up the shuttering around the northern abutment.

IMG_1714

IMG_1715

The trailers used to deliver the beams were still on site.

IMG_1716

And on the west side of the A15 bridge a concrete mixer/pump was being delivered.

IMG_1718

IMG_1717

IMG_1720

IMG_1721

IMG_1722

And the augur bits for the piling mentioned earlier on by Mick are on site as well. I like the grafitti ...

IMG_1719

It looks as if they've done some marking out for the line of the piles as well.

IMG_1723

IMG_1724

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

How many men does it take to load a few cabinets onto a wagon? I made it a dozen or so.

I am sure that in times past three or strong men would have done it without the crane, and a lot quicker.

Or am I being unfair?

Jonathan

Depends how far back in time you go. When I was an S&T trainee in the early 70s, New line side locs took 2 or 3 blokes to lift on/off a trolley - but they were just a carcase with no equipment fitted, fitting-out" taking place "on site". These days just about all are fitted-out in a workshop/factory and are very much heavier. So perhaps a little unfair. However, H&S Manual Handling restrictions also play a bigger part now than thay used to. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

How many men does it take to load a few cabinets onto a wagon? I made it a dozen or so.

I am sure that in times past three or strong men would have done it without the crane, and a lot quicker.

Or am I being unfair?

Jonathan

Half of them are Lookouts, the other half are looking after the Lookouts.  That just leaves the crane driver. :jester:

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, iands said:

Depends how far back in time you go. When I was an S&T trainee in the early 70s, New line side locs took 2 or 3 blokes to lift on/off a trolley - but they were just a carcase with no equipment fitted, fitting-out" taking place "on site". These days just about all are fitted-out in a workshop/factory and are very much heavier. So perhaps a little unfair. However, H&S Manual Handling restrictions also play a bigger part now than thay used to. 

Not just heavier, but more sensitive to being dropped, I would imagine.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

To be fair, I wondered if some of them were technicians as they were walking with the "train" and might have been there to work on installation.

Though I prefer Mick's explanation.

Still, this continues to be a really informative thread, in particular by highlighting aspects of the project we would not otherwise think of.

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Crun said:

An underground film:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=174499d38d2b19f3&attid=0.2&disp=attd&safe=1&zw

Please let me know if you can oprn the above.

No, unable to open it, get an error message even though I'm logged into my Google account. Looks as if it is locked to the account that created or shared it. Basically that error message is file not found.

30612952_ScreenShot2020-09-01at16_21_55.png.189b0e15890b0328e761e25def29fa75.png

Edited by Richard E
added info

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Richard E said:

No, unable to open it, get an error message even though I'm logged into my Google account. Looks as if it is locked to the account that created or shared it. Basically that error message is file not found.

30612952_ScreenShot2020-09-01at16_21_55.png.189b0e15890b0328e761e25def29fa75.png

Seems logical as otherwise opening other peoples e-mails illicitly would be a doddle!