Newton Harbour

EnglishElectricFan

Not posted for a while, as things are a bit hectic at the moment. With sorting out works year end audits and going self employed from March, modelling has been put on hold. When the weather gets a little warmer (and drier) the whole layout will be taken outdoors and given a good coat of external gloss sealant .Once this has been done I can lay the cork sheeting and begin track laying. My only snag and niggle with these boards is that due to the way they have to be built, the tops (which will have the LED strips attached for the lighting) have to be worked around to get the track laid. I have decided to leave the tops off the supports until all track is tested and ballasted.

As for the the track, I am giving the new Peco Bullhead track a whirl. First impressions are good,we will see how it looks and operates once ballasted and wired.Point motors are DCC concepts digital brand. Only 5 needed on the scenic section. 

I have also decided to extend the fiddle yard turntable to a larger size (the original was for an N gauge project), so 3'-6" should cope with a 3 coach train of mk1s and a loco.

A few things on the stock front have been added. I have bought a Heljan class 17 Clayton in BR Green, and currently waiting for delivery of 47120 in Large Logo with Scottie dog from Olivias trains (not a cheap purchase !!) which I have sent a sound chip with new Bass speaker for fitting.

I have added some photos of the fish and loading dock as it looks so far. More weathering to do and I need to fill the loading dock surface with model filler to represent as it would have looked had it had its cobbles filled over with cement or tarmac.

post-9658-0-10174000-1519580761.jpg

post-9658-0-34841600-1519580771.jpg

post-9658-0-66498300-1519580792.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Not much done to the building of the layout. I have been detailing locos over the last few weeks. First a Hornby class 50 backdated to 1976 livery with removal of nameplate and 0000 headcode replacing the domino marker dot panel. Next job I am changing the Bachmann class 46 from its D186 number to 46010 again changing the headcode panel to 0000 to suit 1976 era. Just need some plates to cover the 3 body side steps. Anyone know if they are available as an etching or detailing kit?

post-9658-0-23703900-1521152370_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-81948300-1521152393_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-82825900-1521152407_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-55813100-1521152435_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-94310800-1521152482_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-18348700-1521152538_thumb.jpg

Edited by EnglishElectricFan
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a couple of photos of my new Black 5. For some reason I cant upload the short video clip of the sound. Hope you like it, this is Rails of Sheffield's limited edition of the end of life model (Hornby). The weathering is fantastic!

I have noticed that the smokebox door handles are missing.(Not sure of the correct name for them as I'm not a kettle expert). I have had to order some from Peters Spares.

This should go well with my 4F. 

post-9658-0-74284600-1523223807.jpg

post-9658-0-55070800-1523223816.jpg

post-9658-0-37705200-1523224127.jpg

post-9658-0-87322500-1523224136.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The Sun WAS out, so made most of it yesterday. Took both scenic boards outside and gave them a coat of external matt gloss to seal the areas to be modelled on. (didnt bother with the frame supports, just the board top,back scene board and baseboard surface).

I have added the board tops (which will have the lighting strips attached when wiring the layout). I have decided rather than glue and pin these for a permanent fit, to screw each corner down for ease of access if any problems arise with the LED strip lights.

post-9658-0-92261300-1524407463.jpg

post-9658-0-42032000-1524407469.jpg

post-9658-0-25013400-1524407476.jpg

post-9658-0-37366000-1524407481.jpg

• Like 2

Next job (next sunny day) is to add the backscene and cork underlay to the basebaord surface and Harbour. I may need to add two layers to the harbour so that the harbour wall tops fit flush to the main surface. Also, the siding where the cold store and loading dock will be, will be inset track (scalescenes bought and ready to try).This will be painted concrete and weathered accordingly.

On a seperate note, does anybody know of anyone who could build the PH design Hornby class 50 Grills for me, as my 50's grills have just disintegrated  !!!! Looking at the PH site, it looks like they need to be built up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Being a lone modeller (not in any club/group), I find it difficult at times to get things done.Being on RM web has been an immense help to me and appreciate all the help and comments so far.

Many thanks

Simon

Just a couple of photos showing progress work on the road over bridge which will mask the entry to the fiddle yard. This is a well butchered Metcalfe models bridge with embossed card overlaid. I wasnt going to bother with the rear of the bridge as this will nestle up against the end board. But me being me, it was niggling me, so I have just finished this side. (mind at rest now).I will be using Vari girder for the middle and rear section over the main and bay running lines. Again all walls and support pillars will be overlaid with embossed card to give a good relief of depth.

The 3rd photo is just a few models positioned to see how things may look as the layout takes shape. Please feel free to comment and share your ideas.

Cheers

Simon

post-9658-0-43298900-1525028215.jpg

post-9658-0-28936800-1525028227.jpg

post-9658-0-11006700-1525028237.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Road bridge built. It has taken longer as I have had to rebuild some of the bridge piers. I will have a go at using some plastruct pieces under the road bed , but this can't really be seen. Just a bit of weathering needed underneath with some damp streaking etc.

post-9658-0-01068200-1526665341_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-23702300-1526665379_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-46689300-1526665410_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-86859000-1526665462_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good though the Metcalfe bridge is, I think what you have done with it in terms of adding texture really gives it a lift as well as individuality Simon.

Thanks Martyn.

Still a bit of work to do on it yet but I'm happy how it's turned out. I may add the sloping retaining wall at the back in low relief, but don't want to cramp the visual appearance of 'too much' going on in a small space. Next on the list is the backscene. Then hopefully I can start on the track laying.

Still undecided what to do with the area to the left of the green workshop. I was thinking of a short siding for that dumped mineral wagon scene or a brake van. This area may be the only part I can actually have some greenery !

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Regarding short kickback sidings, I found on Crinan (in its original shorter version) that I rarely shunted it as it meant removing stock from the Warehouse at the other end in order to do so, which was a problem as this stock then had to go somewhere else, which is why it was removed when redeveloped.

There was a kickback siding at Kyle of Lochalsh serving the old cattle dock; by the 70s this seems to have been disused as photos show a variety of plant, tractor and road vehicles etc parked on it, with harbour detritus neatly piled around the area (mainly fish boxes etc) so maybe go for something along those lines? Or maybe sharply curve the siding off the front of the layout, suggesting it once served a harbourside warehouse, if space between huts permits? Again harbour and fishing gear and road vehicles could be placed there, perhaps a fixed sleeper used to mark the end of the "operational railway" allowing the stored wagon as you suggested?

Just ideas of course!

Martyn.

• Like 1

Regarding short kickback sidings, I found on Crinan (in its original shorter version) that I rarely shunted it as it meant removing stock from the Warehouse at the other end in order to do so, which was a problem as this stock then had to go somewhere else, which is why it was removed when redeveloped.

There was a kickback siding at Kyle of Lochalsh serving the old cattle dock; by the 70s this seems to have been disused as photos show a variety of plant, tractor and road vehicles etc parked on it, with harbour detritus neatly piled around the area (mainly fish boxes etc) so maybe go for something along those lines? Or maybe sharply curve the siding off the front of the layout, suggesting it once served a harbourside warehouse, if space between huts permits? Again harbour and fishing gear and road vehicles could be placed there, perhaps a fixed sleeper used to mark the end of the "operational railway" allowing the stored wagon as you suggested?

Just ideas of course!

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

I had thought of having the back and side of the green tin hut workshop as a small boat repair yard with the odd sailing boat and rowing boats awaiting repair renevation etc. Theres plenty of clutter in the odds and end box to place around the harbour. 

for the suggestions, keep them coming !

Simon

• Like 1

Had to take the day off so making use of the good weather by finishing the road bridge 'cladding' . Next is the sloping retaining wall in low relief.

Just a few pics I took of a rail freight class 26 and large logo class 47 in keeping of the mid to late 80s era.

post-9658-0-78894700-1527084196_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-91644600-1527084210_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-71521100-1527084224_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Simon

This is a cracking build going on here and I do feel your pain with not being in any club to be able to bounce ideas around. My main discussions end up on Whatsapp with a mate of mine who has been modelling for years, he's near Doncaster and I'm near Crewe.....lol.

Anyway apologies if this has already been asked but I haven't found it on a couple of read throughs but where did you get the resin harbour walls from please?

Many thanks in advance

Hi Simon

This is a cracking build going on here and I do feel your pain with not being in any club to be able to bounce ideas around. My main discussions end up on Whatsapp with a mate of mine who has been modelling for years, he's near Doncaster and I'm near Crewe.....lol.

Anyway apologies if this has already been asked but I haven't found it on a couple of read throughs but where did you get the resin harbour walls from please?

Many thanks in advance

Hi Adrian

You can get the harbour walling and some boats etc from a site on ebay called waylander.2012...............they have lots of decent things for cameos etc, and are very reasonably priced.

Thanks for the kind comments, the layout is a long process and I'm quite surprised by how many people have stuck with it to be honest, but glad of the comments and support they give. Feel free to message whenever you like, its nice to be able to bounce ideas around. I have decided to go for a small boat yard repair shop at the side of the green workshop, which may have a sand dune embankment with a dirt access road to the yard............and yes, the boats may come from the waylander stable ! (Im not on comission, I just think they are cheaply priced in this day of over priced models !)

Anyway, thanks again for the comments

Regards

Simon

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone.

Well its been a while since I have posted anything, and to be honest, its been a while since I actually did any modelling. With going self employed, and work to do at home, modelling has taken a back seat over the summer (it was too hot to start crawling around under baseboards etc). So now the weather has cooled down, I think its time to tackle some more work on the baseboards. Where to start????

I have purchased all  the new bullhead track and points, built the bullfrog hand pull point switches for installing (notice a lot of bull here !!!). I have got the cork underlay, so I think thats where I will start. I will need to add a couple of layers (6mm) to the harbour base so as to keep the harbour walling in line with the baseboard top (on 3mm base). This should give just a nice shoulder for the inset track area in front of the cold store and loading dock to fit flush against the harbour top.

So I think that is where I will start, then onto the track laying, which wont be easy with the canopy top supports already in place as its the only way to built these boards (my only criticism). Oh and before all that  begins, I need to dismantle my other layout Rockvilla and put into storage (or sell it!) enabling me to get things moving.

I will post photos as and when I can, and feel free to comment

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone.

Just a few words and an update on Newton Harbour. I have been adding some items of rolling stock of late, these being 2 class 37s in large logo livery, 37114 and 37043. I will post some photos in due course.Also I have added a blue class 37 with sound, a class 47708 in Scotrail and a DBSO. I have just purchased an old Dapol Mk 2d in Inter City livery, this will be rebranded in Scotrail blue to run as an add on/ spare rake set for uses other than Glasgow/Edinburgh push pull traffic................I know Im stretching things here, but the DBSO is a wonderful model and needs must !!!

I will post some photos soon, as this is a busy time for work leading up to Christmas etc, also I am in a new relationship, so trains are taking a back seat until I can get my other half to accept that she needs not to be too jealous over them !!!

Regards

Simon

Edited by EnglishElectricFan
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/03/2020 at 19:33, Dan Griffin said:

Hello

any recent updates or pictures of the layout?

Also I am interested in your fish cold store. where did you obtain it from or is it scratchbuilt?

regards

Dan

Hi

Unfortunately due to personal circumstances the layout hasn't advanced at all, however I have been building up stock, track, buildings etc. I will also be making a start on the layout soon due to time in lockdown etc, so I may be posting more pics soon.

The cold store is from a Dutch company called Artitec. Also type in Cold store on an internet search, which will bring up a gallery of searched items. There is another company that does a similar one in brick, but not as British looking in appearance 

• Thanks 1

Just a few snaps today of the cold store, new loading platform and the new 24/1, which may be comverted to a 25/0 if I can get a spare inderfeame from Bachmann and take off the water tanks !

Hopefully this week will see the baseboards and canopies painted ready for building on the layout to commence once I have got the boards bolted together. 

874671A8-A834-4468-85AA-D35686E7AD24.jpeg

63E63512-8EDA-4FCB-8786-658C43E896F8.jpeg

7AD01920-1563-4096-A835-1567866BCA34.jpeg

2AE6DE81-BA2E-40EC-8134-FBD6AA0FF23F.jpeg

99E376A7-99C3-4EEE-95F6-934AD843CCFC.jpeg

• Like 2