Newton Harbour

EnglishElectricFan

New addition. For the 60s period. But damage done. The lower section of one of the side bogie frames had snapped off. 1st time this has happened to a Heljan 26/27 in my possession (10 so far ). So it was out with the super glue and stick it back on to the frame. Then to strengthen it , I stuck a small piece of plastic over the join on the rear. It's not noticeable when viewed from the front. When dry it will be touched up with brake dust to blend in. Last photo of the bogie is the good side!

Very neat repair Simon, Heljan bogie frame plastic is not the easiest stuff to work with!

The Backscene which will be used for the new smaller Newton harbour. Comments gladly received . I think this will be ok once all the buildings and scenic details are done. Not exactly the Ayrshire coast, but will look better than mountains for a background for that part of Scotland. I'm hoping the station building will hide the modern warehouse in the background. I do have some older style brick warehouse fronts I could mount on board to give a bit of depth to place infront of that part of the Backscene. Have to see when I get to that stage !!!

post-9658-0-50689000-1502641156_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-96671400-1502641171_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-98957000-1502641192_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-66481100-1502641206_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Backscene looks great, it sets the scene without dominating the layout in my opinion.

Well done getting the ploughs on your 26, very fiddly with those tiny brake pipes; mine went in the bits box to possibly end up on a 20 or 25; some photos of my efforts to do D5301 are on my bodging thread, I've moved onto kitbashing a fishing boat now!

New trackplan offers potential, have you decided how you will disguise the fiddle yard exit?

Martyn.

Backscene looks great, it sets the scene without dominating the layout in my opinion.

Well done getting the ploughs on your 26, very fiddly with those tiny brake pipes; mine went in the bits box to possibly end up on a 20 or 25; some photos of my efforts to do D5301 are on my bodging thread, I've moved onto kitbashing a fishing boat now!

New trackplan offers potential, have you decided how you will disguise the fiddle yard exit?

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

The fiddle yard will be masked by an over bridge . Still playing around with this part of the layout as I have the Hornby green tin workshop which I want to use as a boat repair shop or something on those lines. I want to position this adjacent the slip way and to the side of the road down from the overbridge.

That's the idea anyway !

Simon.

Edited by EnglishElectricFan

• 2 weeks later...

A mock up of what I'm aiming for when the boards are built. Two scenic boards both 3'x2' and a 4' turntable for the fiddle yard. There is no station throat as the 3 running tracks will meet direct to the turntable masked by an overbridge. This is to maximise train length in a small space. Looking down from the buffer stops, the space top left after the harbour will be a green tin hut ( Hornby) used as a small workshop for boat repairs. The slipway will be more or less across from this .

post-9658-0-34597700-1503935864_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-80128200-1503935887_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-20706300-1503935909_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-83460800-1503935938_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-16012000-1503935962_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-17735300-1503935982_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Haha, no Simon, I just weakened! The exhaust mods are not too demanding, namely 'capping' the original port with a disc of brass or plasticard and gluing 2 rectangles of plasticard (smaller one over a slightly larger one) in the new position (referring to the 27s I have) then drilling/filing out a slot - the top plasticard layer ends up as the exhaust lip. I think some of the other small vents on top of the roof should be plated over too by rights. . . in any case its easier than my original (not so bright) idea of making a 26/1 and carving 3 of the cantrail grilles off each side! The underslung air equipment in lieu of boiler tank could be fun to scratchbuild too I'm thinking. . . Unless I find a kit to do it.

On the other hand if I resprayed it 1970 blue condition I could choose one which retained the boiler tank such as you are doing so I will have a think, no hurry with this one! From trawling images online, so far D5301 is the only 26/0 I have seen which retained green livery into 1970/71.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

Do you know if there any roof mod kits out there, as I have two locos to modify by covering the round exhaust port and creating the new rectangular ones. My eyesight isnt too clever for doing small detailing like the modification you did using platicard and brass, so Im struggling. I have 4 sets of blanking plates for the cab roof vents, and they look the right size. But they need opening up.

Regards

Simon

Hi Martyn

Do you know if there any roof mod kits out there, as I have two locos to modify by covering the round exhaust port and creating the new rectangular ones. My eyesight isnt too clever for doing small detailing like the modification you did using platicard and brass, so Im struggling. I have 4 sets of blanking plates for the cab roof vents, and they look the right size. But they need opening up.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

I'm not aware of any specific detailing part for the revised exhaust unfortunately. For what its worth, in the end I measured the exhaust on one of my 27's and cut a single rectangle of thin plasticard to the same size which was then curved over a piece of brass tube to match the roof profile, before being fixed in place with EMA Plastic Weld; the 27 was also used to ensure correct positioning the new part. After setting fully it was opened out with small drills and a scalpel. I find this is an easier method than trying to make a neat exhaust outline from square section Microstrip, which still would require the roof drilling in any case.

If you feel it would be too fiddly then it probably isn't worth risking damaging the roof, although weathering does help in hiding any small blemishes.

Martyn.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a quick catch up. Nothing much has been done of late, although the dimensions for the two new scenic boards have been drawn up. Both boards will be lazar cut, and sent flat packed for me to put together, from the same company who did the turntable. Both of these boards will have a canopy, thus looking like a boxed frame when constructed to allow for lighting to be installed behind the canopy. At nearly £100 each, it will be another payday at least before they arrive. Once they land, it should be a quick build to get them on the trestles ready for track laying...again, using Marcway points, its another £100 for the points, but I do want it to look as good as I can achieve with the products used! (Need to stop bidding on ebay !)

On the modelling done these last few weeks, its been on the rolling stock front. I have re numbered a BR blue class 27 from 5373 to 27030 in larger numbers. This loco had the scottie dog on its side mid 80s, but im leaving it off so I can use the loco in my 1980-85 period. (although its very tempting to add one,as I have a full set of Westies sat waiting to be added to their loco!) I may try to weather the loco at some point and add the pipework and snowploughs.

New stock to arrive was Bachmann MK1 works train in BR blue grey with departmental numbers. These will be re numbered with Sc numbers. They were on offer for £56, couldn't resist! The other arrival was a Bachmann MK1 CCT from Invicta models. Again, some weathering needed to bring to life this great looking model.

Once one of the boards arrive, i will upload some photos, the main harbour board will be the first to be built. On a plus note, most of the flexible track has been bought (SMP).

Thanks to all who message me, your support is greatly appreciated, especially as Im a one man band!

Edited by EnglishElectricFan

• 3 weeks later...

Three very nice models, but I am guessing centre box beast is a Lima or Hornby model.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Yes your spot on. I have tried using the Hornby railroad chassis for DCC but all to no avail Im afraid.The traction tyres wont go through the point work.

I need somebody to fit me a Bachmann chassis to the body as the loco is a favourite of many a year ago. Maybe I need to put a plea out on here lol

Simon

Hi Peter

Yes your spot on. I have tried using the Hornby railroad chassis for DCC but all to no avail Im afraid.The traction tyres wont go through the point work.

I need somebody to fit me a Bachmann chassis to the body as the loco is a favourite of many a year ago. Maybe I need to put a plea out on here lol

Simon

Hi Simon, It can be done I did my old 40012 using an older type Bachmann class 40 chassis that I picked up cheap.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-96604400-1508929666_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Lovely layout, not sure how I missed this. Just read through the thread and I think the new backscene is a definite improvement, the large warehouse (Pets at Home at Stoke on Trent in reality)is very much a modern style of building which jars in some of the earlier pictures. Will follow with interest

• Like 1

Hi Simon, It can be done I did my old 40012 using an older type Bachmann class 40 chassis that I picked up cheap.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

How did you fit the Lima body to the Bachmann chassis?

Cheers

Simon

Lovely layout, not sure how I missed this. Just read through the thread and I think the new backscene is a definite improvement, the large warehouse (Pets at Home at Stoke on Trent in reality)is very much a modern style of building which jars in some of the earlier pictures. Will follow with interest

Thanks for the comments

Simon

Hi Peter

How did you fit the Lima body to the Bachmann chassis?

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for the comments

Simon

To be honest I can't remember. The body is quite a tight fit, I think I added some plasticard on the metal chassis close to where the Lima body clips are. I will check it in the next day of two at let you know.

Cheers Peter.