Newton Harbour

EnglishElectricFan

Love those prototype photos Simon! Not seen many photos showing "Siphon" vans on the Kyle line; look to be around 1968-70 judging by the liveries at a guess? Superb!

Ah the cold store is what I meant regarding the platform extension, that kit looks just the job!

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Nice little job done today. Built the Artitec loading dock. Just given it a quick coat of paint ready for more detailing.These kits are resin and are a bit messy when tidying up the flash once the parts have been cut free from the frets, but worth it as they build into fairly decent looking models.The cold store is also from this company.

The kit comes with a cobbled deck, so always thinking of making extra work for myself, I might give it a thin covering of filler, leaving some bare patches where the concrete has worn showing the cobbles beneath.

I will also be adding lighting to the dock by using the woodlands scenics just plug telegraph poles with attached lamps. These will be weathered to blend in with the setting.

post-9658-0-18513100-1515258088.jpg

post-9658-0-85638200-1515258096.jpg

post-9658-0-58456500-1515258104.jpg

post-9658-0-74184700-1515258113.jpg

post-9658-0-70974900-1515258120.jpg

• Like 3

So Bachmann are re-tooling the class 25. Any bets that they don't have the  3 body side foot/hand steps plated over on the BR Blue version !

If they don't want to do them, at least offer them in the detail pack for us to decide whether or not to fit them ! As for the rest of the offerings, looks like the accountants have said NO this year.

Edited by EnglishElectricFan

Nothing much to report at the moment. Just detailing stock and playing around with the track plan and a few buildings to see how or where things will fit once I start track laying.

All the lighting has been sourced and will be fixed to the 'baseboard roof' sections when time allows. (Maybe in a couple of weeks). If all goes well I will take some photo's of how they are fitted etc. I have decided for a permanent LED lighting strip, rather than a multicoloured strip with remote dimmer as I wont be exhibiting the layout. I aim to take my time with the build as I want it to look just right.I'm no master craftsman,I'm useless at scratch building, and botch up more than I get right! So if I can cut corners and stress levels by cheating with ready made buildings and kits, then so be it. My worst nightmare will be track laying and wiring.I will be sticking 3mm cork sheet on all the boards and dockside surface, with a gradual drop down to the bare surface of the baseboard under the road bridge to the fiddle yard (turntable) access. This is due to the fact I wont be able to use cork sheet on the turntable. 

I still haven't come up with the master plan of how to wire all the storage roads on the turntable for DCC operation, as I dont want the bus and dropper wires becoming tangled when rotated through 360 degrees !!

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself Simon, your previous layout turned out excellent and your projects all superbly executed, although scratchbuilding can be a royal pain sometimes I agree! Have to admit that time saving ideas are always worth a thought though!

I'm sure it will be worthy of exhibiting if you changed your mind? Keep up the good work!

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself Simon, your previous layout turned out excellent and your projects all superbly executed, although scratchbuilding can be a royal pain sometimes I agree! Have to admit that time saving ideas are always worth a thought though!

I'm sure it will be worthy of exhibiting if you changed your mind? Keep up the good work!

Hi Martyn

I was just trying to say Im trying to produce something that looks right using what is available. Id love to be able to scratch build something, but modelling time is limited due to work. Once I can get the layout outside into the garden for the messy jobs, things should progress quicker. Once the cork and track is down I can start on the scenics. I was thinking of sealing all the boards with PVA glue as the layout will be in the conservatory. (mainly for the cold winter months). Not sure if this is neccassary though.

many thanks for your encouragement, much appreciated

Regards

Simon

Today Ive been overlaying the very flat looking Metcalfe models retaining wall with some sandstone embossed card. Bearing in mind that this had already been built, overlaying the pillars and sloping walls was very taxing on the grey matter. 

I think it looks far better. The bridge will be replaced by another Metcalfe one (exactly the same kit), but it will have just the abutments with Wills vari girder instead of the arch. I will use plastic section underneath the roadway.

Need a few weeks off work to get this one sorted !

post-9658-0-06282800-1515964588.jpg

post-9658-0-89218300-1515964598.jpg

• Like 2

Today Ive been overlaying the very flat looking Metcalfe models retaining wall with some sandstone embossed card. Bearing in mind that this had already been built, overlaying the pillars and sloping walls was very taxing on the grey matter.

I think it looks far better. The bridge will be replaced by another Metcalfe one (exactly the same kit), but it will have just the abutments with Wills vari girder instead of the arch. I will use plastic section underneath the roadway.

Need a few weeks off work to get this one sorted !

Absolutely no doubt, it looks much better, what a difference the new finish makes and much more individual to boot!

• Like 1

Is the blue fishing boat from Bachmann? If so I like the way you have detailed it could you show some more pics and description please.

Terry

Hi Terry

No, the boats a Kibri kit. Easily available online and straightforward to build. I have repainted the Hull and cabin roof black on the 1st photo as they were all green. Far too colourful !

All the cabins are of similar shape (windows etc) but unless you want to tackle a Langley kit for £100, these come in far cheaper and readily available off the internet.

Simon

post-9658-0-01994500-1516056133.jpg

post-9658-0-30557200-1516056148.jpg

post-9658-0-77137200-1516056158.jpg

Thanks Simon I like the rigging looks very effective really nice model your making.

Terry

Hi Terry

Thanks, its a bit slow at the moment as I need to utilise the garden to get 'stuck in' so to speak, as space inside is limited. I tend to spend a lot of time detailing and kit building. 

Need to find somebody who can make me some coupling loops for my loco's to help speed things up.

Regards

Simon

Kyle of Lochalsh as it was late 70s. The inspiration for Newton Harbours track formation, transported down the west coast a little to Ayrshire. Details to note which I hope to employ are the inset track, telegraph poles with lighting, the odd dockside tin/wooden buildings etc

The overbridge which crosses the line running onto Ayr Harbour has been glorified to have a Girder span with sandstone walling. The bridge on the photo s one of several I have looked at for guidelines.

post-9658-0-92174500-1516317951_thumb.jpg

post-9658-0-49686700-1516318008.jpg

• Like 3

Kyle of Lochalsh as it was late 70s. The inspiration for Newton Harbours track formation, transported down the west coast a little to Ayrshire. Details to note which I hope to employ are the inset track, telegraph poles with lighting, the odd dockside tin/wooden buildings etc

The overbridge which crosses the line running onto Ayr Harbour has been glorified to have a Girder span with sandstone walling. The bridge on the photo s one of several I have looked at for guidelines.

Love the Kyle photo with several Macbraynes lorries in evidence too. Is the bridge an Ayrshire prototype?

• Like 1

Love the Kyle photo with several Macbraynes lorries in evidence too. Is the bridge an Ayrshire prototype?

I dont think so Martyn,not sure where that photo relates too to be honest. Some disused line by the looks of it.. Not many photos of plate girder road over bridges about.

If you type in Kyle of Lochalsh station on Google, you get a pop up station photos of Kyle.............fill yer boots! Some great pics on there from all eras.

• Like 1

Hi, following this with interest - liking the way its turning out. What are the origins of the boat in this photo?

attachicon.gifpost-9658-0-88888200-1515864057.jpg

Edit - The one on the left.

Hi Ben

As Markus correctly quotes, they are in fact a nice little model from anyscale models. On checking the link Markus has provided, they seem to be expanding their range, and the prices are very reasonable too.

Thanks for the comments

Regards

Simon

Tonights little project. 

Re number Bachmanns 37284 to Eastfields 37191 as it was in 1984. Luckily it had its bufferbeam cut back by this time. This is the first time I have used the cocktail stick method with acrylic thinners and the odd use of a cotton bud soaked in the acrylic thinners to keep things clear from mess. I was a bit apprehensive to use a cocktail stick as I didnt know if it would scratch the bodyside,so lightly with the pressure and dont rush!

As the close up of the number and reapplied depot sticker shows, it has come out rather well. Just needs some Matt varnish to seal.

post-9658-0-06344600-1516403459.jpg

post-9658-0-32532600-1516403468.jpg

post-9658-0-84909600-1516403479.jpg

post-9658-0-24520900-1516403491.jpg

post-9658-0-31357900-1516403503.jpg

post-9658-0-43527200-1516403513.jpg

post-9658-0-19935700-1516403527.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Ben

As Markus correctly quotes, they are in fact a nice little model from anyscale models. On checking the link Markus has provided, they seem to be expanding their range, and the prices are very reasonable too.

Thanks for the comments

Regards

Simon

Thanks for that - I've bookmarked the site. They are a bit basic, but the hard work is done for you and superstructure is a relatively easy thing to add. British vintage craft are very thin on the ground and this is a promising venture. There was a guy in Skye some years ago made some lovely 4mm models of this sort of thing but they have been unobtainable for quite a while now....