Heaton Lodge Junction

Thanks Simon I think I’d rather do damp than sticky film!

Looks like the Duchess then for the second steam charter..

Today I’ve been constructing the last wire fences for these boards (slaters posts with .5mm wire) it’s a rotten job.

Plus I got a parcel from 10 Commandments yesterday of 10 relay boxes. I like these as they are cast in plaster rather than resin.

Used Lifecolor rust to weather with a bit of dirty black and the AK corrosion paste. In all honesty i’ve probably overdone the rust effect - it’s a weakness of mine! But they are going on anyway. I secure them with the hot glue gun.

post-25007-0-50205900-1537624234_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-61085200-1537624273_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-31594500-1537624309_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Plus I got a parcel from 10 Commandments yesterday of 10 relay boxes. I like these as they are cast in plaster rather than resin.

Used Lifecolor rust to weather with a bit of dirty black and the AK corrosion paste. In all honesty i’ve probably overdone the rust effect - it’s a weakness of mine! But they are going on anyway. I secure them with the hot glue gun.

I may be a picky b............ at times but I agree you have overdone the rust.  I didn't visit that area except passing by train in your time frame but would have expected working cases to be in better condition. The location platform would also show more signs of rust if the cases were that bad.

On our patch we would certainly have had a 'Please Explain' if the Divisional Engineer had seen any like that. 

The actual finish before painting was either Hot Dip Galvanized or Electroplated Zinc Passivated. The details are on the second drawing down in this post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84785-poles-telegraph-wires-and-cables/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1430892

The drawing refers to painting in accordance with BR10 which is available here. 

https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/br10%20nov%201973.pdf

See page 59 for painting of location cases. We used Micaceous Iron Oxide or Chlorinated Rubber paints in the 1970s depending on the atmosphere in the area.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

On a roll last few days..

This morning the unmade track up to the gas cylinder compound has come in for a bit of attention. With this I decided to use some of Gordon Gravetts techniques but slightly modified.

The base (as I said in an earlier post) is 2mm card glued over a narrow strip which runs down the middle underneath to form the camber. Holes are cut out for grates and puddles the sides of which are smoothed down with clay.

Next an all over coat of Humbrol dark admiralty grey is painted on neat before sieved wood ash is sprinkled on, plus chinchilla dust. I pad it down with a thumb before vac’ing a few minutes later and filling in the gaps again.

The sides are grey ballast glued with thin superglue and variations in different coloured ballasts every now and again.

Puddles are AK interactive ‘puddles’ and grates are etched brass by 10 commandments.

This was one of those jobs where I thought it was all going wrong but it seemed to come together at the end.

There’s still some tidying up to do and I’ve another 3m of it to do yet..

Note the last pic shows the difference in the static grass when sieved earth is sprinkled on while the ova is still wet..top half before and bottom half after

post-25007-0-01245500-1537708877_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-21533500-1537709072_thumb.png

post-25007-0-14893100-1537709254_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Brian, I used to grind up real dead leaves in a coffee grinder until Treemendus started selling them off the shelf. The ones you see are by them. They are good but a lot gets a bit pricey

I've still got a lot of last year's leaves to rake up, is there a business opportunity for me here...…

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Regarding the "steam" issue. The prototype for everything you want does already exist. Electronically controlled using nothing more then distilled water. I've seen it demonstrated (in 00 scale) and it is stunning. Please email Steve at shop@modelrailwaysolutions to find out more.

Roger thanks for that I will email Steve, sounds interesting.

Giles - yes I thought they might be what Gordon Gravett refers to in his book as silver birch ‘bracts’. I’ve looked under silver birches but couldn’t find what he’s referring to.! Wrong time of year possibly

Roger thanks for that I will email Steve, sounds interesting.

Giles - yes I thought they might be what Gordon Gravett refers to in his book as silver birch ‘bracts’. I’ve looked under silver birches but couldn’t find what he’s referring to.! Wrong time of year possibly

I think under silver birches is the wrong place to look, they scatter far and wide, the only place around here that they're easily seen is in the loft!

I’ve seriously been questioning my sanity the last couple of weeks. After 520 x 20cm long brass frets of bracken leaves it’s looking near where I wanted it to be.

To get the effect right the frets have to be hot glued down and bunched right up next to each other so 10 frets only covers about 1cm of width.

After I’d just about finished and was happy with the colour (about five shades of tan) it all looked ok but something wasn’t right.

I took a trip back 10 miles to the real Heaton Lodge and had a look at the real thing. Immediately I realised all the frets were the same height but the real thing wasn’t. Plus the bunches all seem to grow in diamond or triangular formations.

So 8 hours later I’d super glued another 150 individual leafs on top of just some of the others.

Bingo.

The static grass is 3 layers of mini natur and noch mixed together with lots of sieved real earth sprinkled on top with the PVA still wet. I use spray varnish as a layering glue. In fact there’s so much spray varnish on the grass it’s like concrete :)

Anyway I think it’s all been worth it. Just glad the real Heaton Lodge didn’t have any more bracken. I thought the gorse was laborious

post-25007-0-61308900-1538408933_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-06734800-1538408962_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-57077800-1538408983_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-14845300-1538409002_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-08301900-1538409020_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-15322900-1538409055_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9