Canonbury Goods: Edwardian NLR in P4

garethashenden

Alternatively, how about a re-think. Loose the overbridge and ramp. Move the track back to the retaining wall and disguise the exit behind a building or structure of some sort at the front left corner. The increased space in front of the track would be the yard at track level, the yard entrance is assumed to be somewhere in front of the layout. You could also have a sector plate and kick-back storage siding under the house yards.....

Well that's quite a different layout. The grand scheme is that if this works out and assuming I eventually have more space, I would add the mainline tracks in the foreground with a station to the left. Aside from the angle of the road and the back left hand corner everything is pretty much as I want.

• 4 weeks later...

How are you affixing the ballast? 

A really easy way to do it--especially for your chosen order of construction--is to paint on undiluted white glue in 6" sections, dump some ballast on, and then immediately vacuum off the excess. Catching it with pantyhose or something. 

Upsides: No clumps, no fear of ballast shifting, neatness, and poses little threat to steel rail

Quentin

How are you affixing the ballast?

A really easy way to do it--especially for your chosen order of construction--is to paint on undiluted white glue in 6" sections, dump some ballast on, and then immediately vacuum off the excess. Catching it with pantyhose or something.

Upsides: No clumps, no fear of ballast shifting, neatness, and poses little threat to steel rail

Quentin

That's what we did on Empire Mills and what I tried to do here. I just didn't use enough glue. I did a couple of sections this afternoon and used more glue, they came out better.

Not NLR, although next to it, and a golden opportunity to model a very famous house.

K

Let's hope the baseboard is not 'Lopsided'...

I've started!!!

A baseboard:

IMG_8760_zpsfgrncnye.jpg

Not enough glue on the ballast:

IMG_8764_zpsjfinimyg.jpg

...clearly not...

The first two lengths on rail have been laid. I did the first one yesterday and the second today. So far so good, but it's just plain track and that is easy.

IMG_8769_zpsyjmavhel.jpg

IMG_8770_zpsrjhhrjvr.jpg

It's been pointed out elsewhere that a goods yard like this would be paved in some manner, probably setts. I will do that, once the track is finished.

• 1 month later...

I've got back to this and just about finished the tracklaying. Two point blades and two closure rails are all that's left. I'm about to start the wiring and the turnout mechanisms. Since there are only two points, I'm going to try Blue Point switch machines. They're very similar to Tortoises, but are driven by a push rod rather than an electric motor. Those are on order and should be here in a couple of days.

Here are a bunch of recent pictures.
IMG_8921_zps36tphv2w.jpg

IMG_8922_zpsout8fh8x.jpg

IMG_8924_zps1jofust2.jpg

The ground around and between these tracks will be filled in with setts, with ash ballast around the points and entrance.
IMG_8926_zpsxvq1dvfs.jpg

IMG_8925_zpsabsmwl02.jpg

Hope to have trains running by the end of the weekend.

Bufferstops! The North London seems to have used wooden bufferstops, rather than rail-built ones. It looks like the bufferbeam is the same as NLR wagons, 8' long and curved ends. The rest of the dimensions are estimated, but look right.

Everything is made from basswood, either 1/4"x1/8" or 3/16"x3/16". I cut out the parts for one, made sure they looked right, then cut out the parts for the other two. I then stained all the parts and glued them together.

Parts for one:
IMG_8944_zpsnp4eknro.jpg

All the parts stained:
IMG_8946_zpsqq8wf0ms.jpg

The first one installed:
IMG_8954_zps0ypqaaed.jpg
IMG_8955_zpsn8fcbyaf.jpg

The other two:
IMG_8958_zpsnmcsaayb.jpg

All Three:
IMG_8957_zpspc7pvnll.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Let's hope the baseboard is not 'Lopsided'...

...clearly not...

My apologies if my earlier remark had missed its mark...if you recall 'The Lady Killers' the house owner was nicknamed 'Mrs Lopsided' by one of the gang, largely as a result of the oddities of the house (plumbing being one).

• 1 month later...

I have started with the setts. Originally I had planned to lay them flat with little detail. After thinking about this for a while I realised that that wasn't the best way to do it. It occurred to me that with the horses and all some drainage was in order. In the space between tracks 1 and 2 I decided on a gutter running the length of the sidings. I am using Wills setts, and each sheet has two sides with larger curbs. I cut these off and used them, three wide, to form the gutter. It is laid on a sheet of plasticard with the outer two rows of stone elevated on 30 thou strip.
IMG_9263_zps8sd1xnkz.jpg?t=1479601988

IMG_9264_zpseudof3jc.jpg?t=1479602013

Once this was finished I started cutting the setts to fit. I have so far cut two sections and fitted them to the gutter. I have also cut a piece to fit between the rails on the first track. It will need to be narrowed slightly to provide the adequate flangeway clearance.

IMG_9266_zpsip5ayfkb.jpg
IMG_9267_zpslv4muuvl.jpg

None of this is yet attached to the layout and probably won't be until it has been painted.

As I've been working on the setts I've been thinking about the front center of the layout. This area has always been a bit up in the air as to what would go there. It could be more setts, it could be dirt, or it could be something more substantial. I had originally tried to fit in an end loading dock, so that I could have an excuse to feature loaded machine trucks, but there wasn't sufficient room. It has occurred to me recently however that I could have a platform, or at least part of a platform, at the front of the layout. It would have a ramp down at the right hand end, and maybe a small crane at the left? With this on my mind I mocked it up from foam board and card. The curve isn't quite right and it's too close to the track, but it gives an idea.
The layout was originally conceived as having the four track mainline off scene but immediately in front of what is on scene. That's still what I have in mind, but if that is the case then this may not be the best place for the platform. I would appreciate input on the looks, realism, and practicality of putting the platform here. It would be quite some time before the layout is expanded, and it may never happen, so that may shape things as well.

Here is the overall scene currently
IMG_9284_zps2kjk8viw.jpg

With the platform in place

IMG_9286_zpsgx1yuvcp.jpg

And from the other end
IMG_9289_zpsxa0gvw34.jpg

What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Following some discussion on Scalefour Forum, I have decided to use DAS clay instead of the Wills setts. The problem is that the Wills setts work fine on straight track, but don't follow curves well. This rather ruins the whole effect. With that in mind I made a 6" section of track on a piece of foamboard to experiment with. I used a cheap paintbrush deprived of its bristles as a tool to press out the setts.

Here are the preliminary results. The clay has not yet hardened, so it still needs to be painted but I feel that this is definitely the way forward. Not a quick process, but I am pleased with the results.
Here are a few pictures.

IMG_9327_zpsd1uu712w.jpg?t=1481392981

IMG_9330_zpsto8cdbcf.jpg

IMG_9329_zpsn7c3e2ic.jpg

IMG_9333_zpstmqyo2im.jpg

Some of them look quite rounded in close up pictures, I may have pressed the tool in too far.

• RMweb Gold

I liked the look of the Wills setts, but as you say the part in between the points looks a bit odd. The DAS clay approach lifts it to another level.

Any chance you could include the tool (ex-paintbrush) next time you take a photo?

Archived