Gauge 0 Guild Summer Show Doncaster 4 June

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Just a reminder that the Gauge 0 Guild Summer Show is at Doncaster Dome this Saturday, there's no other coverage on this site

Details http://www.gauge0guild.com/Doncaster_2016_guide.pdf

5 layouts, 2 being Blue era diesel [inc Ian Futers' Lochty Lane]& many traders, bargains usually to be had as well as very high-end stuff!

South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum looks nearby + lots of retail for non-modelling partners!

Recommended

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I started the thread because there didnt seem to be much information out on this event, at a new location. Its open to everyone. I'll certainly call by the Furness Wagon stand, Marc.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Visited the exhibition today. Very impressed, superb layouts and really good trade support I felt. Hope the GOG keep Doncaster in the schedule as its the first Northern exhibition I've been to. Never bothered with Bradford before as couldn't face the M62! But really enjoyed today, as did the family. 10/10.

Rich

was a very good show with abundance of quality traders, with the only downside being no signage to the hall. i only found it by following the people in front that looked like theyre going it (middle-aged and retired looking men in a building full of kids going swimming sort of stood out)

• RMweb Gold

Very good exhibition to showcase G0G, fantastic trade support, free parking and easy access, hope it works out OK and becomes a permanent feature as I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill,

Im not sure to be honest.  Not a name I recognise.

For those who couldn't make it, but would like a look at the layouts - some images are attached.  Hope nobody minds.

Rich

DSC04148.jpg

DSC04173.jpg

DSC04176.jpg

DSC04181.jpg

DSC04154.jpg

DSC04159.jpg

DSC04163.jpg

DSC04164.jpg

DSC04184.jpg

DSC04183.jpg

DSC04187.jpg

Really enjoyed the show, great venue easy to get to as well, like the comment about following old blokes instead of using signs, ha ha worked a treat! good selection of traders you could spend a fortune if you had the money and I'm sure some did. The gog trustees sales stand was very well run.

• RMweb Premium

I agree it was a good show in a better venue than some they have used in the past, but maybe overweight in trade stands rather than layouts?

Given the demographics of G0G I think there's going to be a lot more previously enjoyed stock coming onto the market in the next few years as the current generation move on.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

The GOG shows I have been to have always been heavily weighted in terms of trade vs layouts but I am not sure that they were ever intended to be conventional exhibitions.

In many ways, they are a social gathering and a chance to pick up some interesting bits from the trade with a few layouts as a bonus.

As a relative newcomer, dabbling in a bit of 7mm as I fancied doing something a bit different, I have enjoyed all the shows I have been to. This was no exception. Lots of good people to talk to, some superb modelling on the layouts and various demo stands and superb trade support.

It did seem well attended as the car park ended up full and it was a bit of a bunfight for places.

Although I was there for quite a while I did so much chatting that I didn't get round the whole show but somebody told me that although there were some ABS products on sale (which I must have missed as I didn't see them myself), Adrian himself wasn't there due to his health problems.

There was a sign attached to the car park fence directing people to the event but anybody arriving would have just seen road signs to a craft show.

As a "local" who has used the venue before I knew where to go but I can understand the confusion.

It was the first time there and I understand that it may become a regular event at the venue, so perhaps improved signs can be on the "to do" list for next year.

Tony Gee

• RMweb Premium

The GOG describe this as the Doncaster Trade Show so that explains the ratios!

I didn't see Adrian/ABS anywhere

Good show, agree about the directions though. I came in off the bus and came in from the first floor bar area.

Cheers

Ian

From a trader's point of view it wasn't a bad show however there could be some improvments for next year.

Better signs to find the location and where to get in to the building.

Make sure that other shows don't clash with the date of the show, There was the Polockshaws O gauge show in Glasgow and a large show at NRM Shilton. I had been contacted by a number of my customers who said they wouldn't be going to Doncaster as it was to far to go and there was other shows nearer.

Better advertisement of the show. As was said in the first post of the thread.

And lastly it would have been nice if someone could have turned down the heat and let some fresh air in.

Marc 

• RMweb Premium

I spent the day working on the Bring and Buy stall where there were some real bargains to be had.  Also rather more part built kits than normal.   As TBG has said this was never meant to be a conventional exhibition.  It used to be called the Northern Trade Show.   The Guild was originally established to keep the trade alive to supply the hobby and it's shows have always been aimed at that and are also very much a social meet for 7mm and other modellers.  It wasat Halfix for many years then at short notice had to move to Cleckheaton, then that was slated for redevelopment so another vanue had to be found at short notice.  1800sq meter venues at reasonable rates are not two a penny.  For instance the stadium that Wakefield use is only 1200  Sq meters.   I think that the organisers did  well and I know that lessons will be learned for next year.

Jamie

Sounds like Doncaster is a good location.....certainly better for road/rail I guess than previous locations it would seem. I really must make the trip next year if I can sort it out.

I always like to see a fair few layouts at these events - something to aspire to - I much prefer the Reading ALSRM show in May than the trade show in December for that reason. It is nice to maybe pick up a few odds and ends and then relax and go and watch some trains.

Had to smile at the 'follow the old blokes' comment too - you can do the same at Reading too as they walk from the station to the venue - normally complete with big bag/holdall ready for that purchase.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like Doncaster is a good location.....certainly better for road/rail I guess than previous locations it would seem. I really must make the trip next year if I can sort it out.

I always like to see a fair few layouts at these events - something to aspire to - I much prefer the Reading ALSRM show in May than the trade show in December for that reason. It is nice to maybe pick up a few odds and ends and then relax and go and watch some trains.

Had to smile at the 'follow the old blokes' comment too - you can do the same at Reading too as they walk from the station to the venue - normally complete with big bag/holdall ready for that purchase.

The big giveaway in the car park is the old bloke carrying a brown cardboard box about the size of a coach under his arm. (18" long by 3" by ".5" approx.).

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Great show & good company, I even picked up a couple of bargains for Withercombe....

attachicon.gif1-20160604_115539.jpg

I was more than a little dubious when Doncaster was announced last year as the venue, but I have to say I  was pleasantly suprised.

I believe that I helped relieve you of the modelling tokens that you purchased those with Phil.

Jamie

Archived