Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold

One of the things I was determined to do was to alter the spacing of the 'Great Western' lettering on the tender.  I have seen photographic evidence, including moguls, of the two words being closer together than normal, but it's all at oblique angles or under layers of filth so it's hard to say for sure.  But even if so it was much more the exception.*  I wanted the 'normal' GWR look in which the spacing of the words left a gap big enough to fit the coat of arms.  I found lots of pics to illustrate this, including an exceptionally good mid-1930s one of a Bulldog at Worcester Shrub Hill clearly showing how the letters were laid out to give even spacing while avoiding the vertical lines of rivets.  It's on p 5 of Philip Hopkins' 'Great Western pictorial'.  I copied this using HMRS Pressfix transfers, which I had to cut up into sections of 2 or 3 letters each.  Here is the result. (The slightly wonky final 'N' is not noticeable under the grime at NVD - honest!)

M2a.jpg.3b090e25d4063737ed53aa9ffc9ad169.jpg

For the general appearance and weathering I followed a great photo of 6329 at Leamington around 1930 on p19 of the same excellent book.

John C.

*  If this was the case, perhaps sometime not long before 1934 someone decided, "Who are we kidding?  We're never going to be putting the heraldry back on goods and tank engines now.  Let's put the words closer together."

• Like 19

On 07/12/2020 at 16:56, checkrail said:

One of the things I was determined to do was to alter the spacing of the 'Great Western' lettering on the tender.  I have seen photographic evidence, including moguls, of the two words being closer together than normal, but it's all at oblique angles or under layers of filth so it's hard to say for sure.  But even if so it was much more the exception.*  I wanted the 'normal' GWR look in which the spacing of the words left a gap big enough to fit the coat of arms.  I found lots of pics to illustrate this, including an exceptionally good mid-1930s one of a Bulldog at Worcester Shrub Hill clearly showing how the letters were laid out to give even spacing while avoiding the vertical lines of rivets.  It's on p 5 of Philip Hopkins' 'Great Western pictorial'.  I copied this using HMRS Pressfix transfers, which I had to cut up into sections of 2 or 3 letters each.  Here is the result. (The slightly wonky final 'N' is not noticeable under the grime at NVD - honest!)

M2a.jpg.3b090e25d4063737ed53aa9ffc9ad169.jpg

For the general appearance and weathering I followed a great photo of 6329 at Leamington around 1930 on p19 of the same excellent book.

John C.

*  If this was the case, perhaps sometime not long before 1934 someone decided, "Who are we kidding?  We're never going to be putting the heraldry back on goods and tank engines now.  Let's put the words closer together."

What I notice from many old photographs of GWR locomotives is that the spacing between letters for 'Great' is slightly wider than that for 'Western', it doesn't make the two words equal in length but evens them up a bit.

Glenn

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

58 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Those carriages look good John.

I guess you just strike lucky when you go into eBay and find them. Hopefully we will get some new kits from Slaters soon.

Indeed.  Be interesting to see what they retail at.  £125 for a kit off ebay is too steep for me.  I did see there’s a load of kit built GWR coaches on there at present.  Let’s not kid outselves - we’re all following them!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Let’s not kid outselves - we’re all following them!

Even the same seller's separate listings for the Slater's roof is going for stupid money.

• Agree 3

£125 seams a lot but a Geen toplight kit was in £90 + several years ago. CPL want £38.50 just for the sides for a toplight. it is around £50 for body/roof etches at Worsley works. and all need extras to complete. Add the rarity value for the Slaters kits the higher prices are not a surprise.

Unfortunately, the £100+ coach kit is now a reality.

Mike Wiltshire

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I think Mike's right.  If the "taken back in house" Slater's kits ever do emerge I doubt they'll retail for much under £75, maybe more. 

But if the right coach is as important to you as the right loco .....

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

£125 seams a lot but a Geen toplight kit was in £90 + several years ago. CPL want £38.50 just for the sides for a toplight. it is around £50 for body/roof etches at Worsley works. and all need extras to complete. Add the rarity value for the Slaters kits the higher prices are not a surprise.

Mike Wiltshire

A year or so back some went for around GBP 300 each. This could go the same way.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

(Must renew this fencing one day.  Over the past five years or so it's suffered from hands, sleeves, tools, track cleaners, cameras, and everything else that's been reached over the goods yard corner of the layout.)

It has a real world feel to it as if things like movement of earth or scale appropriate hands of children and big children with their notebooks or cameras have had an effect. 

1 hour ago, checkrail said:

mg2.jpg.922711311384ed2cdf72652196d38f6c.jpg

And here you can see the edge of the world again.

I can but it is not what I am looking at. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Mike Wiltshire

Mike, I'll pay that for a Dave Geen kit.
It's brass, it will last a long time. I know the Slaters kits are rare and plastic. This will be a more tempting medium for some people.
My worry, is haw the plastic will weather over time.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

It's brass, it will last a long time. I know the Slaters kits are rare and plastic. This will be a more tempting medium for some people.

Given that an RTR coach is now around the GBP 40 mark or more , twice that for a new Slaters kit wouldn't be too bad. I'm blowed if I'm going to pay that for a second-hand one, sight unseen, though.

• Agree 6

12 hours ago, Sandhole said:

This is why i am not a fan of the Slaters kits.

Here are a couple I have been asked to 'rescue', for a friend. Large sum paid for a pro paint job and the sides are all bowed, internals will not allow roof to fir properly, AHH!  Bogies are in the reycling bin being replaced with cast ones. Expensive exercise for a plastic kit.

Personally I will stick with brass where a solid box can be soldered up.

Mike Wiltshire

1028965630_toplightsaa.jpg.813ab81df29915f05642d6cffb0b8ea3.jpg944504955_toplightsbb.jpg.cd2d5fd00c5213588fb80bc6a11aecb9.jpg1265733831_toplightscc.jpg.66f596d2c96442e3fafcf56043dd3838.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3