NMRA National Convention to be held in Birmingham UK in 2022

torikoos

This is very exciting news for all those in the UK and EU modelling North American Railroads.

After a enthusiastic campaign, the British Region has won the bid to host the National Convention in 2022. 

It will surely attract overseas layouts, traders and visitors and should be a once in a life time experience for all North American Model railroaders.

The NMRA-BR Website reports it here on their website: http://www.nmrabr.org.uk/latest-nmra-news/330-breaking-news-convention-2022-in-uk

Will it be the convention be open to the general public or just NMRA members??, speaking as a ex NMRA member

Ray

...or what format the Convention will even be in, as there can't be many people with basement empires that they are willing to open. We'll have to wait and see....

That is amazing. Rapido will certainly be there with a massive booth. Maybe we'll ship our real RDC to the NEC using ParcelForce....

But 2022 is so long from now we may only be making squirty plastic daffodils by then.

Most Americans don't travel outside of the United States, so the only way to have high attendance is to be very pushy on promotion in the UK and Europe (assuming there isn't a Trumpwall built through the Channel Tunnel by then).

-Jason

Maybe there will be a British-style exhibition - hopefully not just of North American style layouts - arranged to show off the very best of British railway modelling. Not a show to be open to the general public, just put on solely to showcase British railway modelling to the NMRA across the world.

It could be wonderful.

A good point. Show the NMRA the best that British style modelling has to offer, rather than that we can't really emulate the what the Americans do. Get some European layouts in too, assuming that kind of thing is still allowed.

Though some British style American layouts would probably be necessary, and would prove that the basement empire isn't the only option.

I have wanted to go to one of these conventions - because they are different to our run-of-the-mill exhibition.

So who will be opening their basement empires - they have to be within easy coach ride of the base?

• RMweb Gold

When was the last time they were here?

In 1962 - another convention in the UK - they hired a Collett Goods to play with for the day on the Bromyard branch. Severn Valley this time perhaps?

Phil

Maybe there will be a British-style exhibition - hopefully not just of North American style layouts - arranged to show off the very best of British railway modelling. Not a show to be open to the general public, just put on solely to showcase British railway modelling to the NMRA across the world.

It could be wonderful.

This.  What he said.  I've had the opportunity to attend the Scaleforum a couple of times over there and was absolutely gobsmacked by the work I saw.  The trackwork along made the NMRA RP25 standard look like tinplate Lionel; the workmanship in the kits blew me away. 

A good point. Show the NMRA the best that British style modelling has to offer, rather than that we can't really emulate the what the Americans do. Get some European layouts in too, assuming that kind of thing is still allowed.

Though some British style American layouts would probably be necessary, and would prove that the basement empire isn't the only option.

I'm not currently a member and aren't sure what the exact pitch/plan was, but when it was discussed at local group level a few years ago, you're right that the consensus was Americans want to see good modelling, but not necessarily what they can see back home-although a few of the well followed modellers would be appreciated. I think something like the Great Central Railway model event would be appreciated, perhaps with smaller church hall type events for self drive or Bus tours.

I also thought of cramming my layouts into my Garage as Ian commented, but what might work in principle sounds like a nightmare once simple things like parking are considered (I've not been to a convention over there but did visit a layout that was on a tour on a separate occasion. We'll have to see what the team come up with...

• RMweb Premium

Current convention info:   http://www.nmra.org/what-goes-on-at-a-nmra-convention

I've been to two -- had my layout visited at the one in Toronto.

Not sure about membership conditions on attendance.

Convention has two types of activities.

There are workshops on anything relevant. Practical modelling sessions. Talks on prototype. Sessions with name modellers on their layouts. I remember one on lighting, another on getting axles to roll more freely. Some not so serious: explain the faking of injuries in cricket.

Then there are tours. Favourite prototype locations. Local industries. Scenery. Popular are visits to home and club layouts. Usually something for the Railettes non-rails.

Contests. There is usually some pretty severe competition in this. The documentation is a bit daunting.

The last weekend is the National Train Show.  Usually every manufacturer with a travel budget sends someone. This is public. It also includes some monster modular setups. Much like the Easter show that I went to once.

• RMweb Gold

We are currently at the Indianapolis convention. Some, great tours organised. We did the Indy 500 racetrack yesterday and today go round Amtraks Beach Grove major maintenance facility. There are also the layout tours, clinics etc. Then on Friday is the big show which runs till Sunday.

It's a lot of work for the organisers.

No doubt those that put the bid together have ideas of what can be done in. UK.

There has even been a mention of a group of modules being shipped over to the UK but whether that will actually happen we shall have to wait and see. On the subject of layouts I remember taking one of my US layouts to a show where ther was a bunch of American fans who were disappointed to see American layouts!

• RMweb Gold

Maybe they need to work it in with the Warley weekend! I'm sure tours of the SVR and something like the Welshpool would go down well as within reach. The U.K. convention has done visits to so maybe the Armitage mob need to shedule a meet to coincide? ;)

The last NMRA Convention over here was 1971 and some of the current BR members were certainly there for a busy event.  Apart from furniture and train-stuff crates seeming heavier these days and paperwork/posters/etc being easier to do back then (aah - remember the typing pool) and stamps onl ... oh yes, they cost loadsa money now, ah well what could we do without forums, email, facebook, etc, etc to prepare for it....  Well rather than waste time on this I could finish repairing that CLW GP38-2 I dropped years ago.

Jason

How does NMRA membership affect what demos and layouts are available? While I'm aware that a lot of modellers aren't in the NMRA in the US, a lot are, whereas here its a very small proportion of the modelling population and those that are will mainly be modelling US prototypes.

Or is it a case of just approaching clubs or individuals in a similar way to an exhibition manager would, e.g. Excuse me Roy, could we bring a coach load of Americans to see Retford?

Archived