Lymebrook Yard

sf315

Hello all
I have rough drawn a track plan out for the layout. The group of sidings at the right are the ones that go under the flats. See helicopter shot above to give you some idea.
Latest jobs done on the layout had been painting the outer faces and the facia black. Hoping over the xmas break to give the layout a good running session and also give the BR blue stock I have a run out.

Lymebrook Yard Trackplan

IMG_1297.JPG

post-5955-0-89517400-1481990036.jpg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

Have been running the layout and busy weathering stock. The covhops being the latest done. On the bench at the moment are a couple of HBA coal hoppers for a re paint and loading.

Steve,

They look good.

Do you dry brush or use powders?

Cheers

Carl

Hello Carl

Weathering is done by dry brush the underframe using frame dirt 402 from railmatch paints. The top given a wash of weatherd black I use railmatch again wiped off as I go round the body using tissue.

Then streaks of whatever paint you use for rust. Then pick the rust parts out using black towards the centre of the rust with orange to the outer these two dry brushed on in small amounts. Any painting done is done in thin coats.

Then when all dry a coat of Matt varnish and then use Tamiya weathering powder sets to finish off.

Don't be afraid to merge in the colours of powders using a finger.

Hope this gives you some ideas Carl

Steve

• Like 1

A few vehicles have been done for the layout the skip lorry is the one from earlier in the thread but it's been finished offand made to look grubby and unloved.
The PMT bus is a base toys with the original operator name removed and Fox transfer alphabet used. Just needs a better destination and route number doing. Driver and passengers have also been added. I
I have a green one that I'd like to do as a Crosville one for the Crewe service that used to run from Newcastle under Lyme. Does anyone know if Crosvile operator names are available in N as a transfer.
The conveyor is an Auhagen kit suitably weathered.

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

post-5955-0-74716800-1484395226.jpg

post-5955-0-44383500-1484395249.jpg

post-5955-0-28514700-1484395263.jpg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 5

Have been adding details to the coal merchants.
With the layout in the main complete it's down to adding the small details that bring it to life.
As a reminder the first showing of the layout is at the DEMU showcase at Burton on Trent town hall on the 3rd & 4th June.post-5955-0-33209100-1484399783.jpg

post-5955-0-33209100-1484399783.jpg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 6

Hello all

Nothing to do with the layout but there's been some posts about MTK kits on The Tonbridge West Yard layout thread.

I mentioned that I'd built a 140 rail bus in OO years ago.

Well this morning I've dug it out and taken some pics.

It was built by me between May and August 1994 I know as the dates are painted underneath.

It runs on a much modified 142 chassis. Thought I'd share it with you all. Although now I model in N I would never part with this.

Thanks Steve.

post-5955-0-08534300-1485086406.jpg

post-5955-0-38024900-1485086421.jpg

• Like 7

Hello all

I have rough drawn a track plan out for the layout. The group of sidings at the right are the ones that go under the flats. See helicopter shot above to give you some idea.

Latest jobs done on the layout had been painting the outer faces and the facia black. Hoping over the xmas break to give the layout a good running session and also give the BR blue stock I have a run out.

Lymebrook Yard Trackplan

Hi Steve,

Just caught up on this thread, absolutely fantastic use of the space, I really love what you've done and the modelling is superb. Keep the updates coming, particularly some further pictures! It shows what you can do in 2mm scale with some careful planning and how muc operational capacity you can cram in to a small space. 

Sorry if I've missed it, but what radius points have you used? 

Cheers,

David

Edited by south_tyne

Hello all

Nothing to do with the layout but there's been some posts about MTK kits on The Tonbridge West Yard layout thread.

I mentioned that I'd built a 140 rail bus in OO years ago.

Well this morning I've dug it out and taken some pics.

It was built by me between May and August 1994 I know as the dates are painted underneath.

It runs on a much modified 142 chassis. Thought I'd share it with you all. Although now I model in N I would never part with this.

Thanks Steve.

What a super model pal well done 

South Tyne

On the actual layout I used small radius points in code 55, these are practically the same geometry as medium radius points in code 80. On any seinic section that is the smallest radius I would use. The fiddle yard points are all manually operated set track points to get as many storage sidings in as possible.

The plain track is all code 55 Flexitrack. I will post up any future developments on here but the layout is virtually complete I also have on the go a new layout Farmers Drove which has its own thread.

Thanks Steve

• 4 weeks later...

A view from the operating side showing the fiddle yard sidings disappearing underneath with two short sidings at each end. Have set the layout up and going to give the layout a run.
Thanks Stevepost-5955-0-02643800-1487512914.jpg

post-5955-0-02643800-1487512914.jpg

post-5955-0-02643800-1487512914.jpg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 6

Hello all
Have got the layout set up and giving the blue stock a run out. A picture from this evening of the Lymebrook trip working assembling the return working. 25327 collects an empty MCO wagon from the coal siding to add to the consist for returning to Cockshute yard.
Scenic work is almost complete on the layout. There's just a couple of areas that need a bit more work.
Thanks Stevepost-5955-0-70896200-1488145939.jpg

post-5955-0-70896200-1488145939.jpg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

South Tyne

On the actual layout I used small radius points in code 55, these are practically the same geometry as medium radius points in code 80. On any seinic section that is the smallest radius I would use. The fiddle yard points are all manually operated set track points to get as many storage sidings in as possible.

The plain track is all code 55 Flexitrack. I will post up any future developments on here but the layout is virtually complete I also have on the go a new layout Farmers Drove which has its own thread.

Thanks Steve

Hi Steve,

A belated thanks for this extra info and I do apologise for taking so long to say so. It's amazing what you've done in such a compact space.

A change in my living arrangements mean I am going to be really pushed for space and I am contemplating a return to N gauge. Both Lymebrook and Farmers Drove are real inspiration for the space starved modeller. How is the latter coming on?

Thanks again,

David

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all
To break the boredom of wiring pointup on Farmers Drove I have been working on these ferry vans. They are 3D printed wagons and run on new type of 20 ft 9" chassis cut in half trimmed back and glued in. Not my design I just bought the bodies off Shapeways but they are a good design and well thought out regarding chassis fitting. The transfers are from Railtec as he does a pack for these wagons.
I have three the other is in engineers olive and TOPS coded ZSX and is destined to run on Tanners Hill.
As seen they have just had the transfers applied. Yet to do is ferry fittings and door grab rails. And of course weathering.
Thanks Steve.post-5955-0-28819300-1492936432.jpg

post-5955-0-28819300-1492936432.jpg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 9

Thanks Paul

On the go as well are 7 off HTV/HTO basically the Dapol 21 ton hopper but I have been putting the grabrails on the end and repainting and weathering making the bodies look really rusty and unloved as these wagons often were. Again the transfers are from The Railtec range.

I will take a pic when finished at the moment they look a bit off as they have been gloss varnished for transferring.

Thanks Steve.

I've literally just received a box full of these this very morning for Staythorpe.  They are all unpainted so this is very useful.  The handrails make all the difference Steve and the paintjob makes the wagon look suitably knackered!

Some good stuff going on here!

Cheers, Andy.

Edited by theplasticbrummy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With 3 weeks to go before the layouts debut show at DEMU showcase at Burton on Trent I've set the layout up and will give it a run over the next few days to test the layout and work out what I am going to run. Really looking forward to showing the layout and dismissing those who say they've no room for a layout. Remember folks this is 4x2 feet continuous run with a yard for shunting and a fiddle yard to hold 9 trains.
Below are some pics of the seinics, the first one is of the houses across the road from the station entrance. These are Bachman scenecraft ones and really look the part.
Next pic is a view showing the 2 blocks of flats which are modified Kibri kits. With the small works yard in front. The third pic is a general view of the foreground across the layout.
More pics to follow and some may even have trains in them.
Thanks Steve.

IMG_1540.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

post-5955-0-83310500-1494664560.jpg

post-5955-0-80562500-1494664572.jpg

post-5955-0-24698400-1494664605.jpg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 9