The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like old Motorcycles.

DDolfelin

They blow up too .....2 x NSR250 (MC18 and 21)

1 x NS400R  

If you haven't blown a two stroke up you're just not trying hard enough!

The 4 strokes go bang as well:-

piston.jpg

Piston from my better halves CB125T which had a con rod snap.

All the best

Katy (who has too many 2 strokes).

• Like 1

I finally got round to watching the DVD I got from one of my sons last Christmas, supposedly a sequel to Bruce Brown's classic "On Any Sunday". Well, I watched the first 20 mins or so,anyway... dear oh dear. Sponsored, probably mostly produced by Red Bull, and it SHOWS; high production values but glossy, superficial content with little real understanding of racing, and a lot of self-indulgent stuff about people I'd never heard of, and didn't care about either once they'd been introduced.

The whole point of OAS was that the featured riders were genuine racers pursuing top flight championships, and that just wasn't oresent. So, that's a miss, then...

Does this count as a motor-cycle with a forecar, or a car which is a forecar?

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/25840397/in/album/500055

If I remember Ixion's Reminiscences of Motorcycling correctly, the vehicle as a whole could also be referred to as a forecar.

Ixion's books are well worth a read if you can find copies. Reminiscences periodically turns up online as a PDF download. Thirty years ago the hard copy got me ejected from Leicester central library because I couldn't adequately suppress my mirth :D.

If I remember Ixion's Reminiscences of Motorcycling correctly, the vehicle as a whole could also be referred to as a forecar.

Ixion's books are well worth a read if you can find copies. Reminiscences periodically turns up online as a PDF download. Thirty years ago the hard copy got me ejected from Leicester central library because I couldn't adequately suppress my mirth :D.

It is, indeed, a forecar. These come in several variations and might have three, or four wheels - remember that at the time, motor tricycles were relatively common, so a tricycle rear might be fitted with a two-wheeled forecar, or simply with two front wheels (in which case it would be referred to as a Quadricycle)

Note that it would have some sort of stub-axle front steering, it is not like the subsequent ice cream trikes. The main distinguishing feature would be that a "motor-car" would have a coachbuilt body of some description, housing the driver and any other occupants, on top of a chassis while the tricycle, forecar or quadricycle would have a motorcycle-style frame and saddle, and a sidecar would be a separate car attached to a motorcycle.

Edited by rockershovel

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reminded of another once-well known motorcycle, the NAIT, or "Not Appearing In Tragatsch".

This two-wheeled Sasquatch or Nessie was readily identifiable by its absence from Erwin Tragatsch's vast compendium of motorcycles real, illusory and indistinguishable - once found on many motorcyclists' bookshelves, for no readily discernible reason (actually, because it sold well around Xmas time... )

• 4 weeks later...

As promised over on the Old Cars thread, here are a couple of scans from my sadly rather limited album of family motorcycling history.

First is a shot of my paternal grandparents aboard Granddad Joe's first (or possibly second) Douglas. An odd choice, given the decidedly regional nature of the motorcycle market pre-WW2, given that the Duggie hailed from Bristol, whereas my grandparents lived in Crook, Co. Durham.

post-17123-0-41331300-1483197040_thumb.jpg

Then we have a couple of the Matchless Model X, complete with double-adult sidecar (built in the front bedroom of 2 High Job's Hill) which served as family transport c1950 and on which my father passed his motorcycle test.

post-17123-0-60565500-1483197268.jpg

post-17123-0-09996300-1483197361_thumb.jpg

Finally, Joe models for us what the discerning rider of 1950 regarded as "all the gear" :D.

post-17123-0-25078000-1483197449_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

As promised over on the Old Cars thread, here are a couple of scans from my sadly rather limited album of family motorcycling history.

First is a shot of my paternal grandparents aboard Granddad Joe's first (or possibly second) Douglas. An odd choice, given the decidedly regional nature of the motorcycle market pre-WW2, given that the Duggie hailed from Bristol, whereas my grandparents lived in Crook, Co. Durham.

Not that odd, my Dad had a flat-twin Douglas, pre-war, in Yorkshire. He stripped it down and put it into store when he was conscripted at the start of war. While he was away in the army his brother sold it to the rag and bone man.  :O

• RMweb Premium

Have you ever seen the Flying Millyard in action? Remarkable contraption (that's the sort of description it would have been given back in the day it's styled in). Most of his motorcycles are interesting engineering projects.

Yep, just after taking that photo.  Also at the VMCC Jurby show at the MGP, we're marshals there as we are both Isle of Man VMCC Members.  He's a smashing bloke, and recalled a conversation we had in Ramsey years ago about his 5 cylinder Kawasakis!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sorry if picture six gives anyone a sore neck. Don't know how that happened.

It was worth it to get a peek at that BSA Triple racebike. It looks like one of those built for the old Transatlantic match race series. Any more info on it ?

P.S.love the Dommy above that pic  too.

Edited by The Blue Streak

It was worth it to get a peek at that BSA Triple racebike. It looks like one of those built for the old Transatlantic match race series. Any more info on it ?

Regret that I know nothing about motorbikes.

The nearest I come to them is when they approach around blind bends with their helmets in my lane.

Well, it looks like a Rob North frame which, I believe, was what the race bikes had, although you can still buy such frames new, so it could easily be a recent build.