The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like old Motorcycles.

DDolfelin

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I started another thread for old motorcycles, without checking that there wasn't one already. I have started to pull the plug on the new one and suggested that the few initial contributors move their photos over here. Apologies to anyone who had shown their interest over on the other thread.

Here are my initial really old ones.

Muriel is my mother, Elsie my grandmother, Lizzie her mother and the others Elsie's brother and sisters.post-14351-0-15126200-1503266365_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-99691400-1503266366_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-33760300-1503266368_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-24812900-1503266370_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-37289400-1503266375_thumb.jpgpost-14351-0-70070200-1503266377_thumb.jpgpost-14351-0-99872600-1503266379_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-49888100-1503266381_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

Loving these old bike pics' although i no nowt about bikes with engines. Heres  a few more modern ones i have seen at shows.

post-31611-0-18555800-1503324265_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-10406000-1503324322_thumb.jpg

I do remember these though from my Secondary Mod' School days, most of the older 5th year lads had these  'Yammy fizzes' in the mid' 1970's.

post-31611-0-56556500-1503324367_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Might have posted this elsewhere.

My 72 Norton Commando Interstate with a later Mk2a 850 fitted, big bore pipes - primary's and reverse cones, megacycle cam, mikuni carb, Electronic Ignition, vernier adjusted Iso's, Rearset Pegs, Custom built billet alloy triple clamps, Katana dual disc front end and calipers with braided lines and Bandit Master Cylinder, GSX forks, akront rims and stainless spokes, a real mix and match carefully chosen to make the brakes look like they might have been factory to those less familiar with Nortons.

It went like stink (especially back in the days when you could freely buy Avgas) and stopped pretty good too with the Suzuki brakes .Stopping being very un - Commando like,  the drums used to be alright back in the day when you could get proper asbestos shoes, but the single NVT Discs fitted later by the factory were woeful)

post-23233-0-45237200-1503327704.jpg

I'll try post some better pictures later if I CBA ;)

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 6

... .Stopping being very un - Commando like,  the drums used to be alright back in the day when you could get proper asbestos shoes,

Yes, I worked in such an asbestos factory during the school and university holidays.in those days from aged 16 until .21-22.

Ferodo brake-linings paid well at Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, I worked in the long shed where the skilled machining shop 'girls' had to grind off the excess asbestos brakelining bonded onto the shoes down to the metal of the shoe.  The dust was so thick that you could not see further down the shop than two or three of the big hanging tungsten pendant light fittings.

Strange how no one sussed it being a killer until other of Turners' factories became notorious about a decade or so later. Ferodo were always proud of their brake-lining technology having derived from the old boots used on levers to brake the descending waggons on the Peak Forest plateway down to Bugsworth basin on the Peak Forest Canal.

dh

• RMweb Gold

Might have posted this elsewhere.

My 72 Norton Commando Interstate with a later Mk2a 850 fitted, big bore pipes - primary's and reverse cones, megacycle cam, mikuni carb, Electronic Ignition, vernier adjusted Iso's, Rearset Pegs, Custom built billet alloy triple clamps, Katana dual disc front end and calipers with braided lines and Bandit Master Cylinder, GSX forks, akront rims and stainless spokes, a real mix and match carefully chosen to make the brakes look like they might have been factory to those less familiar with Nortons.

It went like stink (especially back in the days when you could freely buy Avgas) and stopped pretty good too with the Suzuki brakes .Stopping being very un - Commando like,  the drums used to be alright back in the day when you could get proper asbestos shoes, but the single NVT Discs fitted later by the factory were woeful)

attachicon.gifnorton com.jpg

I'll try post some better pictures later if I CBA ;)

I know my Commandos and that's a very sensible list of improvements.  A lovely bike indeed.

I spent a lot similarly upgrading a BSA A65.  Got bored with it, sold it to my brother and bought a Laverda 750 SF3, which is the pretty much fully sorted parallel twin that the Commando ought to have been.  35 years later, I still have it.

Mark

Yes, I worked in such an asbestos factory during the school and university holidays.in those days from aged 16 until .21-22.

Ferodo brake-linings paid well at Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, I worked in the long shed where the skilled machining shop 'girls' had to grind off the excess asbestos brakelining bonded onto the shoes down to the metal of the shoe.  The dust was so thick that you could not see further down the shop than two or three of the big hanging tungsten pendant light fittings.

Strange how no one sussed it being a killer until other of Turners' factories became notorious about a decade or so later. Ferodo were always proud of their brake-lining technology having derived from the old boots used on levers to brake the descending waggons on the Peak Forest plateway down to Bugsworth basin on the Peak Forest Canal.

dh

Amazing stuff Asbestos, had so many uses. Very Sad that it ultimately proved to be lethal for so many unsuspecting people. :(

I know my Commandos and that's a very sensible list of improvements.  A lovely bike indeed.

Mark

Thank you Mark.

The main thing with the commando's  as you'd be well aware, was that you needed to steer well away from boosting the compression too much, Norton made that mistake with the Combat. Originally My bike had a Dunstall 750 motor (actually 810) with alloy barrels etc and higher compression among other things, it was pretty wild, but ultimately blew apart in quite spectacular fashion, literally breaking the barrels in half horizontally right in the middle. :O That was the impetus (as well as the woeful brakes) that led to the rebuild as pictured.

As for your comments re your Laverda being the Parallel twin the Commando should/could have been. That's My thinking behind the TRX 850 Yamaha that I have owned for some years now. :D

I hadn't encountered the Yamaha TRX850 before, but I'm interested to note that it has a 270deg crank. Triumph's latest watercooled 900cc engine has the same concept, and it really changes the feel of the bike. It really is that much better than the previous aircooled engine; more usable performance from a lower state of tune.

I hadn't encountered the Yamaha TRX850 before, but I'm interested to note that it has a 270deg crank. Triumph's latest watercooled 900cc engine has the same concept, and it really changes the feel of the bike. It really is that much better than the previous aircooled engine; more usable performance from a lower state of tune.

Cosworth built Norton a 270 degree parallel twin back in the early/mid 70's. (Effectively 2 pots from their 3 litre V8)

But Dennis Poore didn't want to go with it, because it "didn't sound right" !!!!  (Later he went the rotary route instead. !)

If anything they (270 Parallel twins)  have a Sound very much like a 90 degree V twin Ducati with the right pipes and have beautiful creamy mid range grunt. TRX's even "borrowed some cues" from the Ducati Frame design.

Here's mine. (Crikey I just realised - it's 20 years old this year)

post-23233-0-23423300-1503394098.jpg

If anything they (270 Parallel twins)  have a Sound very much like a 90 degree V twin Ducati with the right pipes and have beautiful creamy mid range grunt. TRX's even "borrowed some cues" from the Ducati Frame design.

I suspect that the Ducatiesque sound has been the major motivation behind the mass production 270 twins, rather than any technical advantage it may offer.

• RMweb Gold

Cosworth built Norton a 270 degree parallel twin back in the early/mid 70's. (Effectively 2 pots from their 3 litre V8)

But Dennis Poore didn't want to go with it, because it "didn't sound right" !!!!  (Later he went the rotary route instead. !)

Here's mine. (Crikey I just realised - it's 20 years old this year)

attachicon.gifTRX.jpg

I've got a 1999 TDM which is now coming up for 62000 miles. Until I retired, it was my daily rider for my commute to work. Very underrated bikes in the UK but popular in Europe. 

All I've had to do is replace consumables and fit a stainless exhaust when the original one rotted.

From what I've read, Bob Trigg from Norton was asked by Yamaha to assist with the design of the bike.

Mark

I suspect that the Ducatiesque sound has been the major motivation behind the mass production 270 twins, rather than any technical advantage it may offer.

Not so. Triumph branded their new, watercooled 270deg crank engine "High Torque" for that reason. The new engine provides more usable, mid-range performance from less bhp, improving reliability and economy at the same time.

My 2013 Bonneville T100 feels quite a lot like a Meriden Triumph in that you do need to rev it to get anything out of it, the new 900cc engine is more like a Sportster - probably slower overall, but more usable and relaxed.

• 1 month later...

I've only just got round to reading this thread,

nice pics of great bikes and good stories too.

I had a humble Honda C90, but upgraded it

with CD90 front forks, so it handled better,

just! Most of my mates had the Yam 'fizzie',

but one had a Garelli, that really went round

corners like it was on rails.

My Mother-in-Law used to be the receptionist

for Vincent, and dated one of their customers

for a couple of weeks, John Surtees!

If you are ever in Nicosia, Cyprus, you must

visit the Classic Motorcycle Museum. It is a

private museum (not state owned), open to

the public, and is filled with an amazing mix

of machines. Every one of the motorcycles

have been found on the island, including a 

unique MV Augusta, off-road bike!

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully this may be of interest to you all.

My Triumph T100T Daytona the twin carb higher compression 500. This was my bike from 17 until I sold it in my late twenties. Now wish I hadn't now it was so much fun to ride.

post-13601-0-38064900-1509151670_thumb.jpg

You'll notice that it has forks from a T140. The single leading shoe original was not really man enough to stop a 100+ mile a hour bike. This first was a bit hairy as it could lock up the front wheel. The 140 was heavier than the 500.

• Like 5