The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like old Motorcycles.

DDolfelin

I think all Benelli 4-strokes of a certain era used Honda derived engine designs. IIRC there were 250, 350 and 500 variants of the SOHC four, and 750 and 900 sixes. The resemblance is so close that I assume there was some official cooperation rather than a case of piracy. Was it Benelli, too, who built an Italian flavoured Triumph unit 650 twin? I know one of the Italian manufacturers did but the old memory isn't what it was.

Benelli Tornado. More like a Honda CB500 than a Triumph, though

• Like 2

Benelli Tornado. More like a Honda CB500 than a Triumph, though

Not one of them then. The pictures I've seen were very definitely of something with a unit pushrod twin lump.

There was the Italjet Grifon, which used a Triumph 650 parallel twin engine

https://www.autoevolution.com/moto/italjet-grifon-650-1969.html#aeng_italjet-grifon-650-1969-647

All the best

Katy

That must be it, although the linked photo and others I've found via Google don't quite gel stylingwise with what I remember. However I can't imagine more than one Italian manufacturer being daft enough to hitch their wagon to Meriden's star so I think the Italjet wins..

Not one of them then. The pictures I've seen were very definitely of something with a unit pushrod twin lump.

That must be it, although the linked photo and others I've found via Google don't quite gel stylingwise with what I remember. However I can't imagine more than one Italian manufacturer being daft enough to hitch their wagon to Meriden's star so I think the Italjet wins..

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=mac_bm&source=hp&ei=YCV4W-fUGo34kwXusbHwDQ&q=1969+italjet+grifon&oq=1969+italjet+grifon&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.3..33i160.2314.10441..11300...0.0..0.109.1606.16j3......0....1.......3..0j41j46j0i131j46i13j0i13j0i22i30j33i21.2xBqjPvLn74#imgdii=PpmhxGZGeW2BdM:&imgrc=dGg2Nx_onrLCBM:

No, the Laverda twins were entirely homegrown, apart from styling apparently derived from 1960s Hondas. Super things to ride, though, although prone to the usual Italian electrical issues at times.

My mate had the 750 SFC I think it was and I had for a while a 500 montjic.

Thanks, I have wonderful memories from the mid 60's to the later 70's of MV Agusta's at Brands Hatch and Mike Hailwood on his 297 Honda 6

(what a noise).

I remember one year early 70's when Phil Read had joined Ago at MV. They had just got the bikes out of the Transit vans (you could walk in the paddock for free in those days). They started both of them up, my god goose bumps or what, the noise was incredible, I was standing about 4' from them taking it all in and slowly started to move backwards away from them, only to be pulled forwards and sideways by my brother just in time to stop the wonderful Bill Currie from flattening me in his sidecar outfit. :)

You are not thinking of the Kawasaki W1 from the mid 60's are you? Definitely copied from British designs.

The Wife and myself with our bikes in 2004

post-13586-0-93056700-1534868152_thumb.jpeg

only the Suzuki left now, its looking for a good home, requires TLC not ridden since 2006!

a better shot of her ladyships 1936 250 BSA

post-13586-0-70263400-1534868101_thumb.jpg

The AJS & BSA went on several rallies here and in France. The Suzuki made trips to Tuscany (took 2 days as Swimbo likes to go over the "bumpy bits") and Portugal, stayed just north of the Duoro that took 3 days with stops just short of the Pyrenees and in Spain. Great days and memories, the Suzuki was a good long distance tourer on both the longer trips we did around 400 miles on the first day. 

• Like 5

Love the BSA C15? I had a 200 tiger cub as my first bike. How did you find the electrics on the Suzuki my GSX750ES always had issues with the alternator.

As a former Suzuki owner I still remember the smell of boiling battery acid :D. I think they got the electrics sorted once the oil-cooled bikes came out. I've not heard of problems with anything other than the older air-coolers (yes, my GSX550 was a victim), and my DR650's remained significantly more reliable than a hammer.

... I had a 200 tiger cub as my first bike ...

Lucky you! Mine was a Francis Barnett Falcon, lovingly repainted by the previous owner in council house green Valspar enamel. Ten quid in 1963, and I still think I paid dear for it

• RMweb Gold

Love the BSA C15? I had a 200 tiger cub as my first bike. How did you find the electrics on the Suzuki my GSX750ES always had issues with the alternator.

That's definitely not a C15, which it predates by at least a quarter century. Lovely looking bike though I couldn't live with a hand gearchange.

I had a Suzuki GS250T for a couple of years and that developed alternator issues, too. Nice ride, though. Ideal for pottering around Dartmoor but enough grunt to keep up on the motorway.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I know Laverda liked twins. Did they use anything from Meriden.

No, the Laverda twins were entirely homegrown, apart from styling apparently derived from 1960s Hondas. Super things to ride, though, although prone to the usual Italian electrical issues at times.

For a while, Laverda used the Lucas "flipper" handlebar switches which were on the oil-in-frame Triumphs and BSAs so there's a little bit of  Meriden/Small Heath in there.  They also used Smiths speedo & tachos but fully rubber suspended.

Later on, most of the electrical components were either Bosch or Nippon Denso.  The electrical string between them is typically Italian though.

Mark