Barrow upon Soar bridge/embankment collapse

• RMweb Premium

Not good - but unless it poses an immediate danger road closures take timers plan in - which is exactly what NR had done. It's just a bit unfortunate the wall finally gave way 3 days before the plan to start repairs could comense

Guest B Exam

5M85 23.36 Nottingham-Leicester ECS last train under the bridge before the partial collapse shortly after midnight.

Good job it was running 5 mins early otherwise it would of ran into the debris!

Also of note its only 200 yards from another bridge collapse in 2008! That time a tipper lorry drove under a footbridge with his rear raised and knocked the bridge off its mounts. 158856 Working a Nottingham-Norwich subsequently ran into the now demolished bridge, seriously injuring the driver.

Any chance for Nottingham and Sheffield to be served via Corby?

The closure is north of Leicester, so using the line via Corby won't bypass it.

I suspect the biggest problem is that most of the units needed to work London-Leicester are currently stuck north of the blockage. 

• RMweb Premium

This is causing major disruption on East Midlands Trains and related services. NR may get the debris off the line in time for tomorrow but the bank & rest of the bridge is evidently unstable and the heavy rain may have hastened the slippage,  so don't count on it reopening very soon. A diversion via Corby & Manton Jct doesnt help destinations North of Leicester as the junction at Syston is South of Barrow.

Of course, the GCR is running Teddy Bears Holiday Express trains Loughborough Central-Leicester North, which may help local traffic!

Dava

Having done a number of assessments of brick arch bridges in the 1990's there was a tendency with some railway company bridges for the spandrel wall to part from the barrel. This is not helped by some not having footpaths (as it seems here), so there is no dissipation of lateral loads caused by HGVs.

To badly paraphrase Voltaire - it is good that from time to time a bridge collapses (without injury) for the encouragement of maintaining bridge inspection budgets.

Rather ironically, Grove Lane bridge would have had plenty of clearance for OHLE.

Presumably London passengers from Sheffield are being directed to travel via Doncaster/Retford, Nottingham ones via Grantham and Derby via B'ham.

Some Sheffield-London trains are being turned round at Loughborough, but (as already mentioned) the Corby line is no use for diversions in this instance.

Locals reported on the radio that the pathway at the point of the collapse, has suffered from subsidence for years and that repairs usually involve a bit of backfill and re-tarmac the surface.

The photo below appears to show previous patch-up work.....

_90610250_37bcdc38-4502-4312-bf12-f261e3

• RMweb Premium

If the embankment is moving as mentioned above this could take some time to fix. I suppose the key thing will be whether the other arch is stable in which case they could at least start running on the slow lines. As mentioned above there isn't an easy diversion apart from reversing at Leicester and running via Coalville and Burton and I don't think that line's in a very good state.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

At least Barrow on Soar has 3 railway bridges, so 2 should still be operational. Maybe they need to bite the bullet and just knock the old structure down.

So have you any ideas on what you do with the rubble and possible further collateral disruption and damage that course of action would cause ? Sheffield,Nottingham,Derby and Chesterfield and other major centres are currently without a direct rail connection to London.This needs to be restored as quickly and safely as possible as I am sure it will be.

At least Barrow on Soar has 3 railway bridges, so 2 should still be operational. Maybe they need to bite the bullet and just knock the old structure down.

First completely daft suggestion on this thread so far, particularly as this collapsed bridge together with the next bridge north form part of the village one way traffic system for coping with large lorries etc.,

I'm sure all the options are on the table for resolving this asap, including demolition. Demolition would be the obvious option from a rail perspective, but I imagine it's a last resort for the road users.

If it wasn't due to be rebuilt for electrification, I expect it will be now...

First completely daft suggestion on this thread so far, particularly as this collapsed bridge together with the next bridge north form part of the village one way traffic system for coping with large lorries etc.,

Sorry, I meant they should demolish & rebuild - not just demolish it and close the link altogether.

Just to clarify, for those enthusiasts who have visited the area, the bridge concerned is the one used to obtain the attached pic., in fact I was standing on the part of the pavement that has now collapsed in order to do so.

John.

I can recommend a very good dietician....

Archived