Jump to content

Grim-up-North; Goathland & Queensbury. Garage remodel.


Sasquatch
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jukebox said:

I must confess I did not have "Russian prostitute nail varnish pink" on my RMWeb bingo card for today...

Why not???.....

 

 

 

... wait. They have bingo cards?

 

Umm.   We are on the right forum here aren't we.

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Boplate B is coming along nicely.  I had intended to paint this with Humbrol 110 (not sure what colour that is) but as seems to be the norm it had dried up. So Captain Crafters Acrylic to the rescue once again! That dried in seconds, it's still in the upper 90sF here which is great for airbrushing but horrible for trying to fine brush anything except possibly toenail Varnish.  :tender:

Details picked out in Badger grimy black and the load wrapped in crumpled black paper and button cord.

What on earth could it be under there???

DSCF2407.JPG.6193caf8b866fb2d6c2f0147f9795f05.JPG

 

No doubt there'll be more time for modelling tomorrow afternoon when everyone takes their siestas, so I'll be lettering and weathering some if not all of the above. Oh and tidying the table.

 

Squatch... Still no sign of any bingo cards.  :resent:

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Looking good.  Hunbrol 110 is 'Natural Wood', so despite all that airbrushing it is still unpainted.

Anyone who can put a smile on my face this early in the morning deserves a round of applause!

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Shaun,

Looking at {admittedly, our...  } News this morning, there is coverage of the massive fires in the NW areas of the US.  Some look particularly large and there was talk of over 4.000 blazes covering more than 1.2m acres.  The Bootleg fire looks to be particularly troublesome, for many people, it must be grim around there, right now.  Last year was bad enough and it's said that some areas are experiencing 5 times the number than last year, earlier, too.  

 

I hope your area is far from the problem areas and all is well for you.

 

All the very best wishes from here

 

  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Hi Shaun,

Looking at {admittedly, our...  } News this morning, there is coverage of the massive fires in the NW areas of the US.  Some look particularly large and there was talk of over 4.000 blazes covering more than 1.2m acres.  The Bootleg fire looks to be particularly troublesome, for many people, it must be grim around there, right now.  Last year was bad enough and it's said that some areas are experiencing 5 times the number than last year, earlier, too.  

 

I hope your area is far from the problem areas and all is well for you.

 

All the very best wishes from here

 

Hi Julian.

Following a serious lack of precipitation this winter/spring the West is experiencing  a drought, this along with an early onset of summer weather and the recent relentless heatwave have created dire conditions for wild fires. A red flag warning was issued as of today ahead of dry storm conditions moving in off of the Pacific. Last time they issued a Red Flag we lost two towns (September).

 

The Bootleg fire merged with the Log fire last night. Now at 541sq miles it will be the size of Greater London by this time tomorrow.

Mostly raging in the Freemont-Winema National Forest which is largely unpopulated and moving Eastwards towards the desert it poses little threat to human life. State Gov. Kate Brown has declared a state of emergency and called for assistance to help fight any more fires which have been forecast due to dry lightning conditions. There's also the Jack fire @ 19,000 acres to the north of us which is 55% contained.

 

It is a bit smokey here this morning and 83F @ 11:30am. The Boot-log complex is roughly 85 miles East of here give or take 35 miles, the smoke from which is blowing eastwards reaching the Atlantic coast. 

 

As a precaution we have packed valuables and essentials to grab and go if worst comes to worst. Some of which are already in my truck. We have cleaned out our gutters, wacked back all dry vegetation, raked up as much dry tree debris as is physically possible in the heat and have trimmed almost all trees of dead branches even cut down the three cypress trees that were growing next to the garage. There's not enough water in the creek to pump out and no matter how much we have the sprinkler going the grass is still dying.

 

We're not expecting any rain until November. The rainy season here has shrunk by 2 months over the last decade. COVID delta variant is ripping through the population here too. What with the floods in Europe and China and the heat wave forecast for the Western UK I 

personally I think 2021 is turning into an apocalyptical year. One major cause of the problem must be that huge island of plastic twice the size of Texas floating out in the Pacific doldrums. That's where our rain originates so all that plastic must be hampering the evaporation process!  

 

My latest theory is having seen how mother nature can surprise us by smashing our timing predictions  of these events by 30 years, might she also surprise us with the sudden onset of the next ice-age??? Rapid acceleration of fresh water run off from the melting Greenland ice sheet will shut off the Atlantic conveyor, it's just a question of time!

 

Hope that you are well 

Regards Shaun 

  • Friendly/supportive 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Julian.

Following a serious lack of precipitation this winter/spring the West is experiencing  a drought, this along with an early onset of summer weather and the recent relentless heatwave have created dire conditions for wild fires. A red flag warning was issued as of today ahead of dry storm conditions moving in off of the Pacific. Last time they issued a Red Flag we lost two towns (September).

 

The Bootleg fire merged with the Log fire last night. Now at 541sq miles it will be the size of Greater London by this time tomorrow.

Mostly raging in the Freemont-Winema National Forest which is largely unpopulated and moving Eastwards towards the desert it poses little threat to human life. State Gov. Kate Brown has declared a state of emergency and called for assistance to help fight any more fires which have been forecast due to dry lightning conditions. There's also the Jack fire @ 19,000 acres to the north of us which is 55% contained.

 

It is a bit smokey here this morning and 83F @ 11:30am. The Boot-log complex is roughly 85 miles East of here give or take 35 miles, the smoke from which is blowing eastwards reaching the Atlantic coast. 

 

As a precaution we have packed valuables and essentials to grab and go if worst comes to worst. Some of which are already in my truck. We have cleaned out our gutters, wacked back all dry vegetation, raked up as much dry tree debris as is physically possible in the heat and have trimmed almost all trees of dead branches even cut down the three cypress trees that were growing next to the garage. There's not enough water in the creek to pump out and no matter how much we have the sprinkler going the grass is still dying.

 

We're not expecting any rain until November. The rainy season here has shrunk by 2 months over the last decade. COVID delta variant is ripping through the population here too. What with the floods in Europe and China and the heat wave forecast for the Western UK I 

personally I think 2021 is turning into an apocalyptical year. One major cause of the problem must be that huge island of plastic twice the size of Texas floating out in the Pacific doldrums. That's where our rain originates so all that plastic must be hampering the evaporation process!  

 

My latest theory is having seen how mother nature can surprise us by smashing our timing predictions  of these events by 30 years, might she also surprise us with the sudden onset of the next ice-age??? Rapid acceleration of fresh water run off from the melting Greenland ice sheet will shut off the Atlantic conveyor, it's just a question of time!

 

Hope that you are well 

Regards Shaun 

 

Shanun,

Praying for you.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Julian.

Following a serious lack of precipitation this winter/spring the West is experiencing  a drought, this along with an early onset of summer weather and the recent relentless heatwave have created dire conditions for wild fires. A red flag warning was issued as of today ahead of dry storm conditions moving in off of the Pacific. Last time they issued a Red Flag we lost two towns (September).

 

The Bootleg fire merged with the Log fire last night. Now at 541sq miles it will be the size of Greater London by this time tomorrow.

Mostly raging in the Freemont-Winema National Forest which is largely unpopulated and moving Eastwards towards the desert it poses little threat to human life. State Gov. Kate Brown has declared a state of emergency and called for assistance to help fight any more fires which have been forecast due to dry lightning conditions. There's also the Jack fire @ 19,000 acres to the north of us which is 55% contained.

 

It is a bit smokey here this morning and 83F @ 11:30am. The Boot-log complex is roughly 85 miles East of here give or take 35 miles, the smoke from which is blowing eastwards reaching the Atlantic coast. 

 

As a precaution we have packed valuables and essentials to grab and go if worst comes to worst. Some of which are already in my truck. We have cleaned out our gutters, wacked back all dry vegetation, raked up as much dry tree debris as is physically possible in the heat and have trimmed almost all trees of dead branches even cut down the three cypress trees that were growing next to the garage. There's not enough water in the creek to pump out and no matter how much we have the sprinkler going the grass is still dying.

 

We're not expecting any rain until November. The rainy season here has shrunk by 2 months over the last decade. COVID delta variant is ripping through the population here too. What with the floods in Europe and China and the heat wave forecast for the Western UK I 

personally I think 2021 is turning into an apocalyptical year. One major cause of the problem must be that huge island of plastic twice the size of Texas floating out in the Pacific doldrums. That's where our rain originates so all that plastic must be hampering the evaporation process!  

 

My latest theory is having seen how mother nature can surprise us by smashing our timing predictions  of these events by 30 years, might she also surprise us with the sudden onset of the next ice-age??? Rapid acceleration of fresh water run off from the melting Greenland ice sheet will shut off the Atlantic conveyor, it's just a question of time!

 

Hope that you are well 

Regards Shaun 

 

I agree about the {long predicted} acceleration of the Arctic / Greenland ice melt, if I recall correctly, it's calculated to be quite a rapid switch, irreversible, once the threshold is crossed.  Memory is vague, but isn't the switch to do with the density differences between salt and fresh waters??

 

I also ran some basic maths over some of the coal transported from the US coalfields and it was really stunning, in itself, let alone the other major coal producers.  What hammers those weights home, is that every Ton {whichever type you choose} produces about 1 1/2 Tons of CO2.  World coal production figures for coal, extrapolated into the weight of CO2 released into the air, are stunning, not the least for not including the figures for Wood, Gas and Oil.  When that is add to by the worldwide amount of deforestation and polution, I have to wonder, quite how much flex-time nature has left, before the climate control balance factors burst, certainly less than the time national politicians are ready to face what behaviour changes are needed.  

 

I am no environmental scientist, but just simple facts and trends, make me wonder if I was right to bring a new life into what the future might bring.

 

All that as maybe, I am glad to hear that as for now you are away from the troubled areas, I hope that you and the rest of the population are able to avoid those areas now being razed.

 

Take care, as I know you will and may the winds blow in your favour.

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun, I hope that both of you, and your pets can stay safe in your home in what must be extremely frightening times. Adrian.

Hi Adrian and thank you.

We hate the idea but have been talking about cashing in on the high property prices and moving to either the coast or the Mid-West.

Big Question is will I find a place with such a big garage.. Hehehe!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Friendly/supportive 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Julian.

Following a serious lack of precipitation this winter/spring the West is experiencing  a drought, this along with an early onset of summer weather and the recent relentless heatwave have created dire conditions for wild fires. A red flag warning was issued as of today ahead of dry storm conditions moving in off of the Pacific. Last time they issued a Red Flag we lost two towns (September).

 

The Bootleg fire merged with the Log fire last night. Now at 541sq miles it will be the size of Greater London by this time tomorrow.

Mostly raging in the Freemont-Winema National Forest which is largely unpopulated and moving Eastwards towards the desert it poses little threat to human life. State Gov. Kate Brown has declared a state of emergency and called for assistance to help fight any more fires which have been forecast due to dry lightning conditions. There's also the Jack fire @ 19,000 acres to the north of us which is 55% contained.

 

It is a bit smokey here this morning and 83F @ 11:30am. The Boot-log complex is roughly 85 miles East of here give or take 35 miles, the smoke from which is blowing eastwards reaching the Atlantic coast. 

 

As a precaution we have packed valuables and essentials to grab and go if worst comes to worst. Some of which are already in my truck. We have cleaned out our gutters, wacked back all dry vegetation, raked up as much dry tree debris as is physically possible in the heat and have trimmed almost all trees of dead branches even cut down the three cypress trees that were growing next to the garage. There's not enough water in the creek to pump out and no matter how much we have the sprinkler going the grass is still dying.

 

We're not expecting any rain until November. The rainy season here has shrunk by 2 months over the last decade. COVID delta variant is ripping through the population here too. What with the floods in Europe and China and the heat wave forecast for the Western UK I 

personally I think 2021 is turning into an apocalyptical year. One major cause of the problem must be that huge island of plastic twice the size of Texas floating out in the Pacific doldrums. That's where our rain originates so all that plastic must be hampering the evaporation process!  

 

My latest theory is having seen how mother nature can surprise us by smashing our timing predictions  of these events by 30 years, might she also surprise us with the sudden onset of the next ice-age??? Rapid acceleration of fresh water run off from the melting Greenland ice sheet will shut off the Atlantic conveyor, it's just a question of time!

 

Hope that you are well 

Regards Shaun 

I just read this, and then read it out loud to my wife, its sounds a horrible existence, and for someone living a near normal life, its hard to imagine what your both going through mentally.

 

We will be thinking of you both, and also all the little and BIG critters that will perish in the fires.

 

Stay safe my friend.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

G'Day Folks

 

The Mid West is one of the most stable areas on Earth, but you do have Tornados to contend with. Oregon coastal areas are very dodgy, Tsunami's always present, also the Cascadian Subduction zone !

 

manna

 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

 

The Mid West is one of the most stable areas on Earth, but you do have Tornados to contend with. Oregon coastal areas are very dodgy, Tsunami's always present, also the Cascadian Subduction zone !

 

manna

 

 

I hear that the UK is relatively free from those kinds of pestilence, although I would caution that the Houses of Parliament have a massive infestation of brain damaging Ilogic-ovoid{P*} Virus.  The current plan is to keep them on their seats, or otherwise isolated at home, in the hope that it doesn't spread to the remainder of the population. 

 

Sadly that hasn't dealt with the recent problem, it caused, whereby the massive increases in infections are being blamed on the NHS covid-19 App and apparently nothing to do with the decision to allow access to Sporting events, Public Transport, Pub Bars and Night Clubbing, {Indeed anywhere} all without Social distancing, or masks.  Apparently the increase in numbers of people now unable to report to work, as they are isolating, is the fault of the App and not the new found freedom for the Virus to spread.  It seems that their attempt to get business on the move is now having the reverse effect, due to the predicted yes... predicted rapid increase in infections.  {What a ****** surprise there, then.}

 

Come to think of it Shaun, you may well be better off where you are, with the precautions you are already taking.

 

Best wishes for favourable winds and rain.

 

 

*  Parliamentary 

 

Edited by jcredfer
Correction
  • Agree 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 21/07/2021 at 10:55, Andrew P said:

I just read this, and then read it out loud to my wife, its sounds a horrible existence, and for someone living a near normal life, its hard to imagine what your both going through mentally.

 

We will be thinking of you both, and also all the little and BIG critters that will perish in the fires.

 

Stay safe my friend.

Hi Andy.

To be honest I didn't realize the mental aspect until you pointed it out. It is the reason why nothing is getting done in the garage!

When we think about what happened last year and the year before it kind of makes you put things on hold!

 

As for the critters, this years faun population is down drastically. The deer jump the fences and eat the greenery where we've been watering. (I know it sounds mad using sprinklers but we have our own well which is healthy, the water down there today isn't the same water that will be down there tomorrow and most of the water soaks back down through the ground back to where it came from!!!).

Anyway the dogs have given up chasing the deer out, some kind of inter-species understanding going on.

 

Hope that you are both well 

Regards Shaun.  

Edited by Sasquatch
Oh deer.
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 21/07/2021 at 15:49, manna said:

G'Day Folks

 

The Mid West is one of the most stable areas on Earth, but you do have Tornados to contend with. Oregon coastal areas are very dodgy, Tsunami's always present, also the Cascadian Subduction zone !

 

manna

 

Yes Oregon does often talk about the long overdue "big one".

Mother-in-law is planning to move to Wisconsin, which is breaking SWMBO's heart I think. It looks like we might just have to follow if I'm to keep my sweetie happy. Just seems awfully daunting to move to somewhere totally unknown!

 

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Friendly/supportive 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 22/07/2021 at 03:00, jcredfer said:

 

I hear that the UK is relatively free from those kinds of pestilence, although I would caution that the Houses of Parliament have a massive infestation of brain damaging Ilogic-ovoid{P*} Virus.  The current plan is to keep them on their seats, or otherwise isolated at home, in the hope that it doesn't spread to the remainder of the population. 

 

Sadly that hasn't dealt with the recent problem, it caused, whereby the massive increases in infections are being blamed on the NHS covid-19 App and apparently nothing to do with the decision to allow access to Sporting events, Public Transport, Pub Bars and Night Clubbing, {Indeed anywhere} all without Social distancing, or masks.  Apparently the increase in numbers of people now unable to report to work, as they are isolating, is the fault of the App and not the new found freedom for the Virus to spread.  It seems that their attempt to get business on the move is now having the reverse effect, due to the predicted yes... predicted rapid increase in infections.  {What a ****** surprise there, then.}

 

Come to think of it Shaun, you may well be better off where you are, with the precautions you are already taking.

 

Best wishes for favourable winds and rain.

 

 

*  Parliamentary 

 

Most people must be plain old fed up with COVID restrictions, I know we are! Having said that, we're still practicing social distancing and are still wearing the appropriate masks (PROPERLY) in public. Just pure common sense which is I think, what the Government have entrusted the general public with. Trouble is the general public is just that and can't be trusted to understand or even care!

Please note I'm often told to keep my opinions to myself and am not left or right but nearly always the one abstaining sitting rather comfortably on a fence watch the proceedings from afar! Which ties in very well with your closing comment Julian. 

 

Hope that you're well regards Shaun.

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the threads I enjoy only seem to dabble in actual trains from time to time.  That being said, nice to see some photos here.  I liked the first and third particularly.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Most of the threads I enjoy only seem to dabble in actual trains from time to time.  That being said, nice to see some photos here.  I liked the first and third particularly.

Hi Graham. There's no excuse in my case because there's plenty of them. Problem is 95% of them are in boxes ready to haul out of here if the unthinkable happens. When autumn arrives I promise to post many images of trains doing all sorts of movements, duties, rosters and more...

 

Regards Shaun  

  • Friendly/supportive 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

G'Day Folks

 

I can understand, the many loco's boxed up, many of mine are boxed, 'Bushfire season', darn things pop up out of nowhere and race across the countryside, always got to be ready to drop everything and run.

 

manna

  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

 

I can understand, the many loco's boxed up, many of mine are boxed, 'Bushfire season', darn things pop up out of nowhere and race across the countryside, always got to be ready to drop everything and run.

 

manna

Do you get dust storms out your way?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Do you get dust storms out your way?

G'day Folks

 

Get Everything out here ! Huge Dust storms, ( Although, not to many lately), plagues of Locust's, so many I was hanging off the balcony and hitting them with a tennis racket as they flew past, took a week to pass, mouse plagues, caught 40+ in my shed in 'One' day, they love to 'pee' on my trackwork, Then the Droughts when everything in the garden, almost dies, then the Snakes !

 

manna, In the land of 'Milk and honey'  :P. But Love every minute of it.

 

  • Friendly/supportive 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

 

Get Everything out here ! Huge Dust storms, ( Although, not to many lately), plagues of Locust's, so many I was hanging off the balcony and hitting them with a tennis racket as they flew past, took a week to pass, mouse plagues, caught 40+ in my shed in 'One' day, they love to 'pee' on my trackwork, Then the Droughts when everything in the garden, almost dies, then the Snakes !

 

manna, In the land of 'Milk and honey'  :P. But Love every minute of it.

 

You forgot the spiders mate :lol:

 

Stay safe. 

Regards Shaun 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

A little modeling progress to report today. I decided to scratch build the platform brackets that go on Queensbury viaduct.

Rings are cut from styrene tube in the miter block using a razor saw. .030 x .030 Evergreen strip is used for the rest which is assembled on wide masking tape. When dry the rings are filed down to .030" before removal from the tape.

I'm half way through already.

DSCF2428.JPG.c9340a3d3b43baa9ce9238afa4c8a8f7.JPG

 

Squatch.

 

  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Sasquatch changed the title to Grim-up-North; Goathland & Queensbury. Garage remodel.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...