Comet coach sides - fixing

• RMweb Premium
On 22/08/2016 at 09:32, The Fatadder said:

I use EvoStick 1 minute, to give a little time for adjustment before the bond sticks.

Evo Stick or equivalent every time. Not impossible to undo if desperate. helps fill the gaps if there are any.

Done a load of conversions.

P

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, kandc_au said:

You file the face of the side down the thickness of the overlay!
Then glue the overlay onto the thinned down side!

Khris

Got better things to do with my time than waste it on taking out acres of plastic with a file.  If I ever have to attach Comet sides to an RTR coach, I'll cut the sides off altogether and replace them with the Comets; it sounds just as easy to build the whole kit from scratch!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Got better things to do with my time than waste it on taking out acres of plastic with a file.  If I ever have to attach Comet sides to an RTR coach, I'll cut the sides off altogether and replace them with the Comets; it sounds just as easy to build the whole kit from scratch!

I would put building a kit as similar times to a full detail of an older RTR model.

Dpends on how much detail you put in

I did a few. Sticking them to Mainline and Lima Mark One coaches. With the door handles, hinges, ventilators,  etc added with superglue (yes I know that's not the best method), but that was before I learnt to solder. That would have been in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

They are a good way of building skills and confidence as a route to building kits. After a few you are going to want to detail them with things like better ends, bogies, roof detail and underframe details. When you get to that stage you feel it's just as easy to build the kits instead.

Especially when you consider you are spending X amount on the donor coach and then £10 or so on the sides. With things like replacement parts also being extra. The full kits are about £45 so work out quite well against RTR prices.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1